UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Please help Bn pleco problem

Go down 
+4
KMX
sassynurse2
fishface30
Ghost-Knife
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Ghost-Knife
Private First Class
Private First Class
Ghost-Knife

Favorite Fish: : Loaches, Bristle Noise Plecos, Ghost Knife, African Leaf Fish, Cory Cats, Rubber Lip Pleco, Bichars, Gar, Dragon Fish, Elephant Noise, Bumble Bee Cats, Discus, freshwater fish for now.... ;p

Please help Bn pleco problem Empty
PostSubject: Please help Bn pleco problem   Please help Bn pleco problem Icon_minitime12/6/2011, 1:24 am

Had my bn pleco for a while maybe a year hes just growing his bristles so hes still young... He has been doing perfect growing like a weed living with some ghost shrimp and plants and driftwood .. But today I looked at him and his whole head is swollen, so swollen that the two gill looking things on each side above the first set of fins is permanently flared. You know the things that males flare when there mad our scared or whatever the case... In fact all of his head is an abnormal size... I have 5 other plecos of the same breed in other tanks I was doing some comparisons. His abdomen is extended slightly no discoloring hes albino I would see the difference... Please help me figure out what to do... I was thinking bloat but the head being abnormally sized has confussed me... I still dont know how to upload photos sorry...
Back to top Go down
fishface30
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Angelfish, Rummynose Tetras

PostSubject: Re: Please help Bn pleco problem   Please help Bn pleco problem Icon_minitime12/6/2011, 2:21 am

I only found one other site asking about the same problem and the answers that came in were not definitive. Two possible things are bacterial infection from water quality or stunted growth from being in too small a tank. I don't know if any of this helps you, but unfortunately the BN didn't make it from what I read, which to me sounds more like bacterial infection is possibly more the culprit than stunted growth. Sorry.....
Back to top Go down
sassynurse2
sassynurse2

Favorite Fish: : 2 Clown Loaches...
Blue Dolphins 10.

PostSubject: Re: Please help Bn pleco problem   Please help Bn pleco problem Icon_minitime12/6/2011, 3:50 am

Hey contact Khrister he breeds pleco and is very smart with plecos
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Please help Bn pleco problem   Please help Bn pleco problem Icon_minitime12/6/2011, 9:11 am

Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

Favorite Fish: : Kribensis

PostSubject: Re: Please help Bn pleco problem   Please help Bn pleco problem Icon_minitime12/6/2011, 10:01 am

did you isolated him? u dnt want him infecting anything else.
Back to top Go down
lifeisgood
Captain
Captain
lifeisgood

Favorite Fish: : My Favorites are the Pleco's and Cory Cats . BUT , I have 44 running Tanks at this time . I keep 3 kinds of Shellies , several types of Pleco's ( mostly Ancistrus ), Cichlids , Crays , Angels , LB's , and some local species .

PostSubject: Re: Please help Bn pleco problem   Please help Bn pleco problem Icon_minitime12/6/2011, 11:27 pm

A pic is needed for sure ! Then maybe one of us could help .
Back to top Go down
Ghost-Knife
Private First Class
Private First Class
Ghost-Knife

Favorite Fish: : Loaches, Bristle Noise Plecos, Ghost Knife, African Leaf Fish, Cory Cats, Rubber Lip Pleco, Bichars, Gar, Dragon Fish, Elephant Noise, Bumble Bee Cats, Discus, freshwater fish for now.... ;p

PostSubject: Re: Please help Bn pleco problem   Please help Bn pleco problem Icon_minitime12/7/2011, 1:20 am

Please help Bn pleco problem Imag1016

Please help Bn pleco problem Imag1014

Best photo I could get he is in his own tank. I am treating him with a antbacteria treatment. And I gave him a water change hoping for results....

Back to top Go down
lifeisgood
Captain
Captain
lifeisgood

Favorite Fish: : My Favorites are the Pleco's and Cory Cats . BUT , I have 44 running Tanks at this time . I keep 3 kinds of Shellies , several types of Pleco's ( mostly Ancistrus ), Cichlids , Crays , Angels , LB's , and some local species .

PostSubject: Re: Please help Bn pleco problem   Please help Bn pleco problem Icon_minitime12/7/2011, 1:24 am

Him looks like a good healthy male @!
Back to top Go down
Dr. Who
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Please help Bn pleco problem   Please help Bn pleco problem Icon_minitime12/7/2011, 7:15 am

Your pleco looks healthy
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

PostSubject: Re: Please help Bn pleco problem   Please help Bn pleco problem Icon_minitime12/7/2011, 8:48 am

i think hes just a little fat. lol. otherwise healthy good looking pleco.

often times it is when they start exhibiting unusual behavior is when there is a cause for concern
Back to top Go down
Ghost-Knife
Private First Class
Private First Class
Ghost-Knife

PostSubject: Re: Please help Bn pleco problem   Please help Bn pleco problem Icon_minitime12/7/2011, 10:57 am

None of my other plecos mouths are buffy like that, not even my full grown one that had all his bristles.... Those little side bristle are supose to only come out when he is stressed.... Not stay out all day everyday.... If yall think im over reacting I guess I could be but he looks different from all my other plecos.... Thanks everyone hoefully he is perfectly normal... Just growing..... :D
Back to top Go down
Ghost-Knife
Private First Class
Private First Class
Ghost-Knife

PostSubject: Re: Please help Bn pleco problem   Please help Bn pleco problem Icon_minitime12/14/2011, 11:20 am

He isnt a healthy pleco... The swelling in what I would call his cheek area is much larger filled with a clear liquid, he has clear filled bubbles that keep getting larger under his fins... I have been treating him for abdnomal bloat no improvement and popeye because the swelling caused his eyes to pop out... Would put another picture but my phone camera isnt if the best quality and someone may not see the issues. Its said that im watching him die.
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

PostSubject: Re: Please help Bn pleco problem   Please help Bn pleco problem Icon_minitime12/14/2011, 11:42 am

well thats unfortunate he took a turn for the worst. only thing you can do now is isolate him and treat him.
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: Please help Bn pleco problem   Please help Bn pleco problem Icon_minitime12/14/2011, 11:42 am

treat will a general antibiotic. maybe CLOAT would handle it. it is my go to med with strang cases as it treats most everything.

Back to top Go down
Ghost-Knife
Private First Class
Private First Class
Ghost-Knife

PostSubject: Re: Please help Bn pleco problem   Please help Bn pleco problem Icon_minitime12/14/2011, 1:04 pm

Thanks holeyrock, I really am out of ideas...
Back to top Go down
fishface30
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Please help Bn pleco problem   Please help Bn pleco problem Icon_minitime12/14/2011, 1:30 pm

same status on the BN? as long as it hasn't gotten worse i guess it's ok...
Back to top Go down
Ghost-Knife
Private First Class
Private First Class
Ghost-Knife

PostSubject: Re: Please help Bn pleco problem   Please help Bn pleco problem Icon_minitime12/18/2011, 1:48 am

The clear filled bubbles have popped and grown back, the layer of skin holding the liquid in is so transparent and thin there sure to pop again... Has know one seen this before?
Back to top Go down
Ghost-Knife
Private First Class
Private First Class
Ghost-Knife

PostSubject: Re: Please help Bn pleco problem   Please help Bn pleco problem Icon_minitime12/21/2011, 10:43 am

The pleco died yesterday....
Back to top Go down
fishface30
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Please help Bn pleco problem   Please help Bn pleco problem Icon_minitime12/21/2011, 10:46 am

Aww thats a bummer!
Back to top Go down
lifeisgood
Captain
Captain
lifeisgood

PostSubject: Re: Please help Bn pleco problem   Please help Bn pleco problem Icon_minitime12/21/2011, 11:42 am

BUMMER !! Sorry .. wish we could have helped . >=/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Please help Bn pleco problem   Please help Bn pleco problem Icon_minitime12/21/2011, 12:31 pm

aww that stinks im sorry, those are cool plecos :(
Back to top Go down
Ghost-Knife
Private First Class
Private First Class
Ghost-Knife

PostSubject: Re: Please help Bn pleco problem   Please help Bn pleco problem Icon_minitime12/22/2011, 12:21 am

It is what it is, but it sure is said I couldnt find a diagnosis... Hopefully it never happens again with any other fish, cause I cant treat it...
Back to top Go down
Ghost-Knife
Private First Class
Private First Class
Ghost-Knife

PostSubject: Re: Please help Bn pleco problem   Please help Bn pleco problem Icon_minitime12/22/2011, 12:24 am

sad* sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Please help Bn pleco problem   Please help Bn pleco problem Icon_minitime12/22/2011, 1:02 pm

yep, sorry.. :\
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Please help Bn pleco problem   Please help Bn pleco problem Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Please help Bn pleco problem
Page 1 of 1