UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Need a second opinion

Go down 
    +2
    fishface30
    Ghost-Knife
    6 posters
    AuthorMessage
    Ghost-Knife
    Private First Class
    Private First Class
    Ghost-Knife

Favorite Fish: : Loaches, Bristle Noise Plecos, Ghost Knife, African Leaf Fish, Cory Cats, Rubber Lip Pleco, Bichars, Gar, Dragon Fish, Elephant Noise, Bumble Bee Cats, Discus, freshwater fish for now.... ;p

Need a second opinion Empty
    PostSubject: Need a second opinion   Need a second opinion Icon_minitime11/25/2011, 10:27 pm

I'm pretty positive its not a good idea to put guppy fry with ghost shrimp, but it doesn't hurt to ask for a couple more opinions... Maybe I'm wrong?
    Back to top Go down
    fishface30
    First Lieutenant
    First Lieutenant

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Angelfish, Rummynose Tetras

PostSubject: Re: Need a second opinion   Need a second opinion Icon_minitime11/26/2011, 3:05 am

Hmm Methinks it depends on how small the fry. I've read that even ghost shrimp will eat their own baby shrimp. However I think if they are large enough the shrimp won't bother the larger fry. Not sure what size is big enough though!
    Back to top Go down
    2SciCrazed
    First Lieutenant
    First Lieutenant
    2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

PostSubject: Re: Need a second opinion   Need a second opinion Icon_minitime11/26/2011, 8:18 am

My daughter has a couple of ghostshrimps, a handful of amano shrimps and a handful of cherry shrimps in her planted 29T. She puts the guppy fry back in the tank when they are several weeks old and has yet to have any come up missing.
    Back to top Go down
    lifeisgood
    Captain
    Captain
    lifeisgood

Favorite Fish: : My Favorites are the Pleco's and Cory Cats . BUT , I have 44 running Tanks at this time . I keep 3 kinds of Shellies , several types of Pleco's ( mostly Ancistrus ), Cichlids , Crays , Angels , LB's , and some local species .

PostSubject: Re: Need a second opinion   Need a second opinion Icon_minitime11/26/2011, 8:19 am

They are compatible . Just don't expect any baby Shrimps . Gups will hunt them down and enjoy the Sushimi snack .
    Back to top Go down
    2SciCrazed
    First Lieutenant
    First Lieutenant
    2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

PostSubject: Re: Need a second opinion   Need a second opinion Icon_minitime11/26/2011, 8:37 am

Or have LOTS of cover! Some will make it, hiding under rocks and in the moss. The adults run around out in the open with impunity.
    Back to top Go down
    Ghost-Knife
    Private First Class
    Private First Class
    Ghost-Knife

Favorite Fish: : Loaches, Bristle Noise Plecos, Ghost Knife, African Leaf Fish, Cory Cats, Rubber Lip Pleco, Bichars, Gar, Dragon Fish, Elephant Noise, Bumble Bee Cats, Discus, freshwater fish for now.... ;p

PostSubject: Re: Need a second opinion   Need a second opinion Icon_minitime11/26/2011, 9:57 am

Thanks everyone
    Back to top Go down
    Kasshan
    Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
    Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
    Kasshan

Favorite Fish: : Kribensis

PostSubject: Re: Need a second opinion   Need a second opinion Icon_minitime11/26/2011, 8:50 pm

i used keep ghost shrimp with my guppies with a dense forest of floating hornwort. the guppies themselves never harassed their own young, likely cuz i fed them so well(same as my mollies).

the ghost shrimp would hang out in the hortwort, and every rare once in a while a lucky ghost shrimp would have snagged a new born guppy. but i never saw strong or healthy guppy fry(above a week old) ever get caught by shrimp. IMO its a good way to cull the weak fry.
    Back to top Go down
    seeurchin
    Private
    Private

PostSubject: fry with shrimp.   Need a second opinion Icon_minitime3/31/2012, 9:02 am

Ghost-Knife wrote:
    I'm pretty positive its not a good idea to put guppy fry with ghost shrimp, but it doesn't hurt to ask for a couple more opinions... Maybe I'm wrong?
    not a problem. the shrimp in my tank bump into fry on a regular basis. no body has been eaten in 5 months
    Back to top Go down
    Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need a second opinion   Need a second opinion Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need a second opinion
    Page 1 of 1