UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

help with co2 set up

Go down 
+2
cwhip
guppy breeder
6 posters
AuthorMessage
guppy breeder
Private First Class
Private First Class

Favorite Fish: : jd's, fronts, GUPPIES, lfabn's, shrimps, Do plants count?

help with co2 set up Empty
PostSubject: help with co2 set up   help with co2 set up Icon_minitime9/27/2011, 12:36 am

I'm currently scouting out the high tech co2 stuff and know nothing but a general price range of 150+
got to looking online an came across this

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3747+9933&pcatid=9933

i know its alot of money as some would say a waste of money but is it a good set up for being complete(without bottle)?
as of right now money is not a issue. I know how to manage my money an can budget this in.

any help with other suggestions will be greatly appreciated

i just need some guidance like I have said i know nothing on how to set it up what is good what isn't just need someone with experience to be like a "mentor" with this step in the aquatic hobby

**edit**
My set up is a 60g with 2 t5 bulbs colormax and a 67k bulb, planning on getting 2 cfl's(u tube, hopfully 70 watts) and placing over my tank also to bring it up to roughly 3.2 watts a gal or so dosing brightwell carbon soon to be adding nitrogen and the multi one(cant remember the name off the top of my head) then once i get the money for the co2 if the above mentioned(not set in stone tho) set up is good i will be getting that unless i can find something that doesnt have a bunch of diy as i dont want leaking co2

Last edited by guppy breeder on 9/27/2011, 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : new link)
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

PostSubject: Re: help with co2 set up   help with co2 set up Icon_minitime9/27/2011, 7:16 am

your link above is broken....

Back to top Go down
fishface30
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Angelfish, Rummynose Tetras

PostSubject: Re: help with co2 set up   help with co2 set up Icon_minitime9/27/2011, 10:33 am

I find this site to be helpful in what you are looking for. I do not have his setup; I'm currently using DIY CO2, but will upgrade to this someday. This guy's a pretty good authority on planted tanks; he's pretty much a grand poo-bah in some planted tank forums (sorry KMX, there seem to be other grand poo-bahs!)

http://www.bestaquariumregulator.com/CO2.html
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Favorite Fish: : Stingrays
Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: help with co2 set up   help with co2 set up Icon_minitime9/27/2011, 10:56 am

The best systems are always the ones you build yourself such as the Victor regulators and such. But to keep pricing down and still have a good operating system, check out Big Als:

Big Al's Online
Back to top Go down
guppy breeder
Private First Class
Private First Class

PostSubject: Re: help with co2 set up   help with co2 set up Icon_minitime9/27/2011, 12:40 pm

ive also been looking into paint ball co2 systems the tanks are rather inexpensive are refilled easily is that a way to go?
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Stingrays, Arowana, Rams, and Angels

PostSubject: Re: help with co2 set up   help with co2 set up Icon_minitime9/27/2011, 12:41 pm

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3747+9933&pcatid=9933

Think that is the one you are looking at. If so it is a very nice system and truly at the high tech end of things. If money is no issue then I don't see why it would not work. Just know that a great CO2 system can be done for a fraction of that cost. It just won't be "high tech". That system is $439 and you still need to buy and fill a bottle. 5lb aluminum bottles run about $75 here and cost 12-20 to fill.

If you follow that link fishface posted it helps explain a great simple setup. If your set on a high tech setup then by all means go for it. I will caution that if you know nothing about running CO2 right now it would be best to keep asking questions and seeking information before making a big purchase.

Another thing to thing about before getting too far into CO2 is what kind of lighting are you going to run. A CO2 system is useless unless you run a fairly high light system. Many plants grow just fine with nothing added.

You have to look at the plants tank cycle. Light>Nutrients/CO2

IMO CO2 is last in line for many plants and having the correct lighting going then slowly add in CO2/Ferts and watch how the plants respond. If you have not done so already and plan to keep fertilizing the plants it would be a good idea to invest in dry ferts and mix your own. As far as money saving goes it is really a huge difference and once you mix up a batch your good for some time to come.

Planted tanks are all about balance. Balance light and CO2 then balance that with ferts. The thing to keep in mind is that you can have a great planted tank without heavy ferts and CO2. You just have to pick your plants carefully. Ones that like light but don't need ferts or CO2 to grow.

The way I have always looked at is ferts/CO2 are just extra and plants will grow without them. They may grow slowly and not so grad but they grow.

This is what I did. Not to say it is always this easy but the deals are out there.
I went to CL and found people getting rid of kegerator items
2x 5lb bottles =$40
2xCO2 regulators =$20
Since these regulator are only single stage I bought a Fabco NV 55 needle valve =$25
Got both bottles filled =$30
I inject my CO2 into the inlet pipe of my canister filter and it comes out a spray bar that is just underwater.
(additional items solenoid to control on/off times $55)
Total=$115 w/o solenoid 170/w
Results =
help with co2 set up 03042010
Back to top Go down
guppy breeder
Private First Class
Private First Class

PostSubject: Re: help with co2 set up   help with co2 set up Icon_minitime9/27/2011, 1:28 pm

nice tank i love it, ive been looking into doing a npt(natural planted tank) or the walstad method(think i spelled that wrong) right now i have less than a watt a gal, but have plans to get 75watt utube cfl bulbs to add, bringing my wpg up to 3.2 to have high lighting. then ima see how my tank does with just the npt method if i still think my plants need a kick in da butt im gunna add co2, but my wife wants natural planted tanks in all our tanks an i dont think all our africans would like the drop in ph that the npt method does
Back to top Go down
guppy breeder
Private First Class
Private First Class

PostSubject: Re: help with co2 set up   help with co2 set up Icon_minitime9/30/2011, 3:08 am

anyone think a 24oz paintball set up would run successfully on my 60g? not exactly sure on the dimensions but i know its 36in long and 25 tall.
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

Favorite Fish: : all of them along with mermaids and me I'm a Pisces.

PostSubject: Re: help with co2 set up   help with co2 set up Icon_minitime9/30/2011, 7:38 am

you already have high light over a 60g with two t5 h.o. 54w bulbs.. there is a guy who has a used set up for 50.00 dollars.. 10 pound bottle, dual stage regulator, and bubble counter. just needs a difuser... robert,jason, and me can help you set it up.
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: help with co2 set up   help with co2 set up Icon_minitime9/30/2011, 7:44 am

plantedtankdude wrote:
there is a guy who has a used set up for 50.00 dollars..

Well poo! You coulda shared this info with me. I'd sure be interested in it. :o)
Back to top Go down
fishface30
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Angelfish, Rummynose Tetras

PostSubject: Re: help with co2 set up   help with co2 set up Icon_minitime9/30/2011, 9:32 am

Quote :
Well poo! You coulda shared this info with me. I'd sure be interested in it. :o)

uh yeah, LOL

I've still yet to find balance in my tank. I'm thinking the limiting factor is CO2 which is going to be my next step. I tried to do without additional co2(right now it's DIY co2) and I think because my light is pretty high it needs it. It's a Current orbit 2x65W PC on a 36gal bowfront, 20" deep. So 1x65W is low/moderate light, 2x65W is too high. I tried to add ferts only to have algae move in.
Back to top Go down
guppy breeder
Private First Class
Private First Class

PostSubject: Re: help with co2 set up   help with co2 set up Icon_minitime9/30/2011, 12:09 pm

plantedtankdude wrote:
robert,jason, and me can help you set it up.

thats cool and do i know you in person? cuz i know a robert an jason personally thats are plant freaks...

and if i only had the money at the moment i would snatch it up.
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

Favorite Fish: : all of them along with mermaids and me I'm a Pisces.

PostSubject: Re: help with co2 set up   help with co2 set up Icon_minitime10/1/2011, 1:50 am

you don't know me, but you know some people i know. robert(digital gods) and jason (forever knight)... i'm also know as fishyjoe24...

the c02 i know of is cheap because it was used with a calcuim reactor and the guy is taking down tanks, and selling what he doesn't need......
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: help with co2 set up   help with co2 set up Icon_minitime10/1/2011, 5:31 am

Plantedtank...if it doesnt' get sold there, let me know if there is interest to ship it to VA. I could put it to good use sir.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: help with co2 set up   help with co2 set up Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

help with co2 set up
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
UsaFishBox :: :: Freshwater Aquaria :: Plants and Planted Fish Tanks-
Jump to: