UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

wondering

Go down 
+5
khrister
KMX
Kasshan
Ben
mshill90
9 posters
AuthorMessage
mshill90
USA Fishbox Sponsor
mshill90

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa

wondering Empty
PostSubject: wondering   wondering Icon_minitime7/27/2011, 7:44 pm

I haven't been back here in a long time, as I have a lot of things going on, which I will update on eventually, but why is it that every thread that mentions hybrids gets closed?

I get that this isn't my forum, and that only the forum leader can make the rules, but I just because you don't like hybrids doesn't mean that other people don't- what happens when they come to this forum and look for information and don't find any because everything has been locked, and they can't ask anything because that would be locked too.

It doesn't make sense to me at all.

Personally, I don't like most african cichlids, but that doesn't mean if I had a forum I would ban any discussion on them.

Hybrids are fish too whether you like it or not. No matter what you do people are going to produce them anyways, and people are going to buy them.

Back to top Go down
Ben
Ben

Favorite Fish: : Venustus and Catfish

wondering Empty
PostSubject: Re: wondering   wondering Icon_minitime7/27/2011, 7:51 pm

All post selling hybrids are locked immediately as said in the rules.

There have been posts that have discussions of hybrids that are not locked until somebody gets upset and starts spamming nonsense. You can tell when a thread is a legit discussion or not and when it is no longer a discussion why keep it open. That is MY opinion anyway.
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

Favorite Fish: : Kribensis

wondering Empty
PostSubject: Re: wondering   wondering Icon_minitime7/30/2011, 4:14 pm

this forum isnt a democracy. ive got hybrid guppies but i sacrifice them to the crayfish tank. serious hybrid keepers though, (if they want good forum discussion on hybrid species) can bugger off and go to another site. just dont expect any love on the hybrid topic on the usafishbox BOX
Back to top Go down
mshill90
USA Fishbox Sponsor
mshill90

wondering Empty
PostSubject: Re: wondering   wondering Icon_minitime7/30/2011, 4:55 pm

I think that's a lot of the reason that I don't go to this site anymore... If you run a fish forum, then all form of fish should be welcome unless they are purposely manipulated (aka, deformed on purpose through cutting etc.. or dyed)

So, I am assuming that any posts about parrot fish, or pet store bought Midas/Red Devils would fall along the lines of hybrid talk?

I don't get why hybrids are so bad? There are a lot of good reasons for hybrids.. They are making hybrids mussels/clams where they grow in 6 months, as opposed to yrs.. they are created certain hybrid fish for more meat content, hybrid corn plants.. etc..

I want a site that is going to appreciate fish for what they are... hybrids or not.

I am pretty sure this will be my last post here.
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

wondering Empty
PostSubject: Re: wondering   wondering Icon_minitime7/30/2011, 5:19 pm

im mad scientist myself and perform experiments on animals, but as a hobbyist im trying to mimic nature as closely as possible. if you go to a zoo, wht would you prefer seeing?
a pure zebra, or a horse/zebra hybrid
or perhaps
a tiger or a lion, or freakish "Liger" hybrid

if i wanted to see those, id goto a freakshow, not a zoo and be surprised why they dont keep these freaks of nature on special display. hybrids are a novelty.

dont goto to a reputable zoo be surprised to see the half man, half bear, and half pig exhibit ISNT there.

this forum serves the same function as a preservation/conservationist's menagerie would.
Back to top Go down
mshill90
USA Fishbox Sponsor
mshill90

wondering Empty
PostSubject: Re: wondering   wondering Icon_minitime7/30/2011, 6:06 pm

this forum serves the same function as a preservation/conservationist's menagerie would.

^^^ That's the biggest load of cr@p I have EVER heard from an ONLINE forum. Haha.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

wondering Empty
PostSubject: Re: wondering   wondering Icon_minitime7/30/2011, 6:14 pm

You can talk about hybrids. I think there is like 1 or 2 threads locked. Don't make a stink out of nothing.

If you don't like what we do here you don't have to log in. I don't mean that with any disrespect. Just sayin.

Only thing we don't allow here is the selling of them.

Keep the species pure!
Back to top Go down
mshill90
USA Fishbox Sponsor
mshill90

wondering Empty
PostSubject: Re: wondering   wondering Icon_minitime7/31/2011, 10:35 am

Every hybrid thread that I found on here is locked because someone has to make some comment like "keep it pure".

I should look how many threads there are about midas and red devils, because chances are they are 99% midevils, which are hybrids, and no one ever throws a stink about that.

I think maybe some research should be done on how hybridization can be a GOOD thing because we talk about conservation..

Let's say there is 1 zebra left. What do you do? Let it die, or breed it with another animal to keep the genes going? Because DNA extraction can be done to start the zebra population again.. Hell, they are trying it with dinosaurs!
Back to top Go down
khrister
USA Fishbox Sponsor
khrister

Favorite Fish: :
Cyphotilapia
Cyprichromis
Mbunas
Fancy PL*CO

wondering Empty
PostSubject: Re: wondering   wondering Icon_minitime7/31/2011, 11:22 am

mshill90 wrote:
Every hybrid thread that I found on here is locked because someone has to make some comment like "keep it pure".

I should look how many threads there are about midas and red devils, because chances are they are 99% midevils, which are hybrids, and no one ever throws a stink about that.

I think maybe some research should be done on how hybridization can be a GOOD thing because we talk about conservation..

Let's say there is 1 zebra left. What do you do? Let it die, or breed it with another animal to keep the genes going? Because DNA extraction can be done to start the zebra population again.. Hell, they are trying it with dinosaurs!

Great analogy ;-) wait hang on a sec lol! Why the hell would you wait till there is only one zebra left before you start doing cr@p about it? Shouldn't you be alarmed when their number is less than a hundred. It is easier to protect them at this stage, then propagate their "pure" breed. It is a whole lot cheaper I bet than crossing them and extracting their DNA and clone and hope you get a pure strain back.

Btw is the the real reasoning behind hybridization?
Keep as much little DNA in some mutts and extract them later when they are about to go extinct?

There are plentiful of wild and pure strain, why hybridize?

I don't get your point! But then again anything will do just fine to support hybridization.

Last edited by khrister on 8/2/2011, 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

wondering Empty
PostSubject: Re: wondering   wondering Icon_minitime7/31/2011, 12:25 pm

well i see some point. ive got a bunch of female guppies in my main tank. somewhere in there is a gene for the endlers guppy that i wish to eliminate. ive got a really nice male that i want to sire all successive lineages. culling the females will be near impossible the diff between the regular and endler. if i keep eliminating undesirable traits and keep mating the male to F1, F2, F3 females, and so forth, genetic purity will logarithmically approach 100% ; a similar technique for trying to bring back "the last of a particular species". hybridizing has its uses when trying to bring back things like wooly mammoths
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

wondering Empty
PostSubject: Re: wondering   wondering Icon_minitime7/31/2011, 5:58 pm

khrister wrote:
mshill90 wrote:

Great analogy ;-) wait hang on a sec lol! Why the he'll would you wait till there is only one zebra left before you start doing cr@p about it? Shouldn't you be alarmed when their number is less than a hundred. It is easier to protect them at this stage, then propagate their "pure" breed. It is a whole lot cheaper I bet than crossing them and extracting their DNA and clone and hope you get a pure strain back.

Btw is the the real reasoning behind hybridization?
Keep as much little DNA in some mutts and extract them later when they are about to go extinct?

There are plentiful of wild and pure strain, why hybridize?

I don't get your point! But then again anything will do just fine to support hybridization.

X2 wondering 858205
Back to top Go down
jnjholding
Private First Class
Private First Class

wondering Empty
PostSubject: Re: wondering   wondering Icon_minitime7/31/2011, 6:47 pm

I believe the biggest criticism over hybridization is it's generally done for strictly economic purposes.

Take $20 worth of fish, 2 separate species, breed them together, then cross breed and end breed to the point that you have some genetic mutants.

Now lets state that these mutants actually have super powers to give you financial gain and anything else you've ever wanted in life, and sell them for $150+ each under the name Flowerhorns.

I forgot to add, then you import them into the US as a 'new species'.

Eventually, no one will know what 'real' fish ever looked like, as all you'll find in the LFS are hybrids.
Back to top Go down
jb1edlover
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
jb1edlover

Favorite Fish: : I have the fish in my avatar but the photo was taken by Nick Andreola of the HCCC. His photography skills are a little better than mine!

wondering Empty
PostSubject: Re: wondering   wondering Icon_minitime7/31/2011, 7:20 pm

mshill90...
Hey I'm one of the biggest hybrid haters out there... but I do challenge you. You said someone should do some research on how hybridization is a good thing. Well why don't you do it. I don't think the thread will get locked. Matter of fact I've only seen a very few threads get locked. Don't sell them and you'll be ok.
I'd love to debate you on this. I'm doubting we'll see you back though... Not much good in hybrids outside of the $.
JB
Back to top Go down
Dr. Who
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

wondering Empty
PostSubject: Re: wondering   wondering Icon_minitime7/31/2011, 9:15 pm

I'm not for or against hybrids. I just sell what the retailer wants. Personaly I would perfer not to sell them. But money is money. No I don't sell them on this site. You my buy them on my web page. I will not tell you my web address. You may have visited or bought from me. I'm not here to hawk my fish.
Back to top Go down
proyect01
Captain
Captain
proyect01

Favorite Fish: : Aulonocara species

wondering Empty
PostSubject: Re: wondering   wondering Icon_minitime7/31/2011, 10:32 pm

Dr, Who wrote
I'm not for or against hybrids. I just sell what the retailer wants. Personaly I would perfer not to sell them. But money is money. No I don't sell them on this site. You my buy them on my web page. I will not tell you my web address. You may have visited or bought from me. I'm not here to hawk my fish.

education is the key please think about it
Back to top Go down
Dr. Who
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

wondering Empty
PostSubject: Re: wondering   wondering Icon_minitime7/31/2011, 10:42 pm

Your correct about education. There are lots of fish that shouldn't be sold as aquarium fish. Aka SA red tail catfish, Chinese algae eater. Its not really my job to tell you what you should buy. Its my job to sell you what you want. Like selling screen doors for the Navys submarines.
Back to top Go down
proyect01
Captain
Captain
proyect01

Favorite Fish: : Aulonocara species

wondering Empty
PostSubject: Re: wondering   wondering Icon_minitime7/31/2011, 10:49 pm

I really sorry dont wany hurt your feelings noy that way AE
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

wondering Empty