UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

Axolotls

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
campbellj71
Private
Private

Axolotls Empty
PostSubject: Axolotls   Axolotls Icon_minitime6/24/2011, 7:56 pm

Hi. I'm new to the site and I'm learing how to read an post posts. I bought some Axolotls a month ago and I was really wanting to put them in a tank of their own or in my established fresh water tank. But was told I couldnt do this on account of them being to young still.

Can anyone tell me if this will ever be possible?
Back to top Go down
Jeepluv77
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Jeepluv77

Favorite Fish: : Species I've kept: Freshwater- Dwarf puffers and clown loaches. Saltwater- Volitans and Snowflake Moray

Species I'd love to keep one day- Freshwater- Rays. Saltwater- Bamboo/Cat Sharks

Axolotls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axolotls   Axolotls Icon_minitime6/25/2011, 12:12 am

I would set up a species only tank for them. Any fish large enough to not become dinner will end up nipping at their gills. Even fish that will likely become food will probably nip at the gills in between the axolotl's meals. That being said, there may be someone here that's discovered some type of fish that would be compatible but I can't think of any.
Back to top Go down
steves_kiki
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
steves_kiki

Favorite Fish: : I love them all and snails!

Axolotls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axolotls   Axolotls Icon_minitime6/28/2011, 7:06 am

Axolotls don't do well with tankmates. Pretty much anything that moves is food! Also, axolotls get anxiety and will eventually die if they can not get to the top of the water to breathe so the tank must be 1/2 full. The tank is best being plain bottom or large enough stones that will not be sucked up! You can keep 1 in a 10 gallon tank but a 15 or 20 is best. You can't use lights because they are super sensitive to light. Must have cool water. Most tropical fish need at least 75 degree water. Axolotls are cold water critters (similar to goldfish). A lot of smaller fish will be eaten and others will probably nip at the gill feathers which can get infected. The good thing is, axolotls can regrow gills or limbs if they are bitten off.
:)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Axolotls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axolotls   Axolotls Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Axolotls
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
UsaFishBox :: :: Freshwater Aquaria :: "Bettas"-
Jump to: