UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Why are my Zoanthids closed?

Go down 
    2 posters
    AuthorMessage
    cwhip
    cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

Why are my Zoanthids closed? Empty
    PostSubject: Why are my Zoanthids closed?   Why are my Zoanthids closed? Icon_minitime6/17/2011, 9:10 am

ZOANTHID CARE AND PROPAGATION

There seems to be a great deal of resources available for SPS corals but the information on Zoanthids seems to be less comprehensive and harder to find. Zoanthids can be a finicky coral and they can be difficult to keep colorful and growing, not unlike the SPS corals.

What are the primary needs for Zoanthids? Good lighting, organics, nutrients, good water chemistry and the absence of pests.

LIGHTING:

Zoanthids are very adaptable and can do reasonably well in many conditions. However, it is my opinion that Zoanthids do like good lighting. This is evidenced by the "morphing" of polyps that are low in the tank or in a shaded area. Often they will expand larger, have duller coloration and grow exaggerated stalks from stretching toward the light. High lighting is the best for most, though I have had success in low to medium lighting as well. I have even noticed that certain species or colors prefer higher or lower light.

Why are my Zoanthids closed? Pictures1324

WATER MOVEMENT:

Zoanthids do not require the consistent high flow conditions that SPS corals prefer. I would consider a moderate flow environment ideal but Zoanthids, like most corals, can adapt to low or high flow. In high flow, you will typically see polyps grow closer to the rock with shorter stalks.

DISSOLVED ORGANICS & NUTRIENTS:

Unlike most SPS corals, Zoanthids can thrive in a higher nutrient environment but they can also do well in a lower nutrient environment. If you want Zoanthids to show their brightest colors, grow steadily and stay open regularly, feed your tank a varied diet on a regular basis. I have learned that infrequent feeding and ultra low nutrient conditions can lead to entire colony meltdowns. The "cheesing out" syndrome can be the result of limited nutrients (Phosphates, Nitrates). Zoanthids need fish poop, dissolved food matter and the resulting nutrients to thrive.

In my experience, Zoanthids can thrive in the same conditions that SPS corals do. Good dissolved organics levels, high light, good nutrient export, low nutrient byproducts like Nitrates and Phosphates. I am not claiming that Zoanthids need the pristine conditions that SPS corals require but they do thrive in similar conditions. However, I have learned from experience that Phosphate levels below .02 can be detrimental to the health of the polyps. Always remember that Nitrogen and Phosphorus are the building blocks for coral life, so zero Nitrate reading or zero Phosphate reading are not a good thing for your aquarium life.

WATER CHEMISTRY:

Zoanthids do not require the level of, or the amount of, trace elements that SPS corals do but they certainly benefit from consistent water quality/chemistry. Qualities that should be monitored regularly in a reef aquarium are -- Alkalinity, Calcium, Magnesium, Iodine, temperature, Phosphates, Nitrates, and pH. I am not indicating that they require all of the aforementioned items specifically, only that consistent levels keep Zoanthids happy and healthy. My chemistry is consistently maintained in this range:

dKH: 8.0 - 9.0 (via Kalk drip)
    Calcium: 420 - 440 (via Kalk drip)
    Magnesium: 1250 - 1350
    Iodine: Maintained via regular water changes (be careful if you are dosing without testing!)
    Temperature: 79 - 80 degrees
    pH: 8.1-8.2 (reverse lighting schedule for refugium)
    Phosphates: .02 - .03
    Nitrates < 5

TARGET FEEDING:

Target feeding is not a requirement as Zoanthids are photosynthetic. I have found that target feeding Zoanthids always provides mixed results, when a food particle falls onto the polyps. The Palythoa species of polyp seems to show a feeding response much more consistently. I do attempt to feed polyps on my frag rack, to enhance growth, while the flow is turned off. I judge the target feeding benefits by the individual species’ response. A polyp that welcomes meaty bits will typically close around food particles and “catch” them with their outer fringe. If they don’t participate in that manner, then you are simply adding excess food and nutrients into your system.

PREDATORS, PESTS, DISEASE AND OTHER STRESSORS:

I will spend a good deal of time on this item, as certain pests can destroy a colony of Zoanthids in a very short period of time. I have experienced many personally and I will share a recent occurrence.

Sun Dial Snails --
    One day I noticed that one of my "Pink Panther" Zoanthid colonies were about 25-30% closed. Hermit crabs or snails will often venture across a colony and cause it to close up, so I didn't think much about this initially. The next day, I noticed that the same section of the colony was closed. What was going on? I started to look more closely and saw a Sundial Snail happily sucking the life out of my colony. The nerve! I quickly removed the snail and thought that I solved the problem. A day later, the colony was close to 50% closed. What the heck?!! Finally, I pulled the entire colony out and discovered a second Sundial Snail snacking on the lower portion of the colony. This colony ultimately made a full recovery. I am not quite sure where the Sundial Snails came from but they may have came into the aquarium in the form of a snail egg. Here are a few pictures from the incident --

Why are my Zoanthids closed? Sundial

Why are my Zoanthids closed? TINYSUNDIAL

Why are my Zoanthids closed? Sundialdamage

Marine Fish --
    Use caution when adding fish that have a reputation for munching corals. Angel Fish can be particularly fond of Zoanthids and may obliterate a tank full in a couple of days. I once bought a Foxface Rabbitfish that developed a taste for green zoanthids. Over the period of a few days, the fish devoured several HUNDRED polyps! Initially, the fish was a perfect resident and did nothing but keep the rockwork free of green algae. That changed quickly!

Why are my Zoanthids closed? Foxface1

Zoanthid Eating Nudibranchs --
    These little guys are really hard to spot unless they make an occasional trek up your tank glass. Some are really tiny. They naturally blend in with the Zoanthids and will sometimes take on the bright color of their snack. To remove these pests, I dip frags/colonies a solution of Lugol's Iodine and fresh water (RO/DI). If you discover any Nudi's, assume that there are eggs somewhere on the colony. Quarantine the colony for 7-10 days and dip it a couple of more times. The dip is only effective on offspring, not on the eggs, hence the need to quarantine and await the hatch cycle. Here are some pictures of Nudi's removed via dip and some eggs left behind --

Why are my Zoanthids closed? 1nudi1

Why are my Zoanthids closed? Zoanudieggs

Why are my Zoanthids closed? EmergencyQT

Zoa Spiders --
    I have not had a personal experience with these suckers but they can be devastating to a Zoanthid colony. If a dip reveals any of these ugly little guys, quarantine and handle as you would the Nudibranchs.

Why are my Zoanthids closed? Zoaspider

Asterina Starfish --
    I have never had a major problem with Asterina but I do occasionally find one on a polyp and remove it. It seems that that there is a specific strain of Asterina that can be extremely predatory and prefer corals like Zoanthids. Some folks feel that they are simply taking advantage of an unhealthy polyp. Here is a shot of one that was feasting on a Palythoa polyp --

Why are my Zoanthids closed? Asterina

Why are my Zoanthids closed? Asterinaeatingzoa1

Zoa Pox --
    This is a condition where the underside of the polyp and the stalk incur raised white bumps. Not enough is truly known about Zoa Pox but there are many proposed remedies. Fresh water dips, Lugol's dips, leaving the colony exposed to the open air for extended periods of time, high flow, etc. I had a minor issue in my nano tank but the good water quality and high flow rectified the issue. Some claim that this is a condition that can spread amongst an entire Zoanthid population but I did not have that experience.

Why are my Zoanthids closed? Zoaissue2

"Diseases" --
    Many debate whether or not there truly are diseases like Zoa Pox, invasive Fungus, etc. I have experienced "melt downs" and colonies that have "cheesed out". Fungus? Affects of Allelopathy (chemical warfare)? Low Nutrient levels? Contaminant? Hard to say but I would point to water quality, low nutrients or chemical warfare.

Stressors --
    Stressors can include Allelopathy (chemical warfare), Vermitid Snails, Spaghetti Worms, Spionid Worms, Amphipods, Copepods, Foraminiferans and pest Anemones (Aiptasia, Majano). Constant agitation can lead to stress and eventually the death of polyps. This is not real common in my experience but a combination of stressors or a plague of the above critters could become overwhelming.

Why are my Zoanthids closed? Vermetidsnail

Why are my Zoanthids closed? Formssize

Why are my Zoanthids closed? Hairworm

TROUBLESHOOTING:

Are your Zoanthids closed up tight and being shy? Here are several things that you should consider or be aware of:

 Pests – Always check unhappy polyps for pests. Sundial snails are sneaky and will hide in crevices or on the bottom side of rocks. Inspect between the polyps very carefully and use a turkey baster to flush the polyps thoroughly during dips.
     Lighting acclimation – If your new Zoas have come from a low light environment, the sudden introduction of intense light can stress the coral out and cause it to shut down. In this case, add this coral into a shaded area for a week or two, in order to allow for acclimation.
     Low Nutrients – The lack of Nitrates or Phosphates in a system can cause your Zoas to shrink up and become unhappy or even melt away. A brand new set up can be very low in nutrients, so be aware that this can be an issue. If you determine that your nutrients are low, increase feeding or decrease the export of said nutrients.
     Allelopathy (chemical warfare) – Growing Zoas into a tight “garden” is an extremely challenging task. Though they may be the same type of coral but Zoanthids do not always appreaciate neighboring polyps when they begin trying to occupy the same space. At various times, I have seen a rapidly growing colony tangle with the wrong neighbor and as a result, the whole colony withered away and dies.
     Flow - I often find that a finicky colony will benefit from higher flow. If you have a frag or colony and can’t seem to get them to open fully, put them in a higher flow area. If you have tried everything else, try higher flow.
     Location in your tank – If your Zoanthids are just simply unhappy, try a different spot in the tank. Higher, Lower, more light, less light, etc.

Helpful Links and Resources:
    ZoanthidHlthFAQs
    Zoanthid Predators, Irritators, & Diseases
    CoralPedia.com! :: The definitive repository for named Corals!
    CoralPedia.com! :: The definitive repository for named Corals!
    Reef 2 Reef :: Bringing Reefers Together Worldwide
    Foraminiferans by Ronald L. Shimek, Ph.D. - Reefkeeping.com

Why are my Zoanthids closed? Greenzoas-2

Why are my Zoanthids closed? Palyzoas-1

Why are my Zoanthids closed? Zoagarden

Back to top Go down
    wildbeanerz
    Captain
    Captain
    wildbeanerz

Favorite Fish: : Love my black ocellaris!

PostSubject: Re: Why are my Zoanthids closed?   Why are my Zoanthids closed? Icon_minitime6/17/2011, 9:53 am

Great info! I noticed part of one of my colonies was closed up last night and then I saw a snail on the LR that it is attached to. It was cleaning the HA that was left between a few polyps. I will recheck it tonight to make sure it has moved on.
    Back to top Go down
    cwhip
    cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

PostSubject: Re: Why are my Zoanthids closed?   Why are my Zoanthids closed? Icon_minitime6/17/2011, 10:45 am

do you use coral RX or Lugols on your frags?
    Back to top Go down
    wildbeanerz
    Captain
    Captain
    wildbeanerz

PostSubject: Re: Why are my Zoanthids closed?   Why are my Zoanthids closed? Icon_minitime6/17/2011, 11:31 am

No, I don't use anything on them.
    Back to top Go down
    cwhip
    cwhip

PostSubject: Re: Why are my Zoanthids closed?   Why are my Zoanthids closed? Icon_minitime6/17/2011, 11:44 am

you might want to think about dipping all new coral before you put it in your tank to avoid bringing in unwanted critters, I started using Coral RX a couple years ago but found that the Lugols still works better. its a good habit to get into whether you bought something from a LFS or it comes from a friend, I dip everything!
    update on the Hydrogen peroxide dip I did with my zoa's so far no signs of any HA the polyps opened back up in a short time and something I wasn't expecting was I have 2 new polyps on my rainbow zoa's and 2 new on the utter chaos and 1 new p on the darth mauls keep in mind the later two zoa's are extremely slow growers so my question is did the HP dip have something to do with the new growth? funny the ones that were dipped have new growth the other that were not dipped are the same...
    Back to top Go down
    wildbeanerz
    Captain
    Captain
    wildbeanerz

PostSubject: Re: Why are my Zoanthids closed?   Why are my Zoanthids closed? Icon_minitime6/17/2011, 12:58 pm

Hmmm...that is interesting. How long did you leave them dipped for again?
    Back to top Go down
    cwhip
    cwhip

PostSubject: Re: Why are my Zoanthids closed?   Why are my Zoanthids closed? Icon_minitime6/17/2011, 1:07 pm

wildbeanerz wrote:
    Hmmm...that is interesting. How long did you leave them dipped for again?

yeah, its very strange, could it be a coincidence?
    I don't know so I'm going to dip some from another tank to see what happens.
    I dipped for 5 minutes using 20 tablespoons of tank water and 2 tablespoons of HP. manually removed as much HA as possible then dip for 5min, swished then rince and back in the tank.
    Back to top Go down
    wildbeanerz
    Captain
    Captain
    wildbeanerz

PostSubject: Re: Why are my Zoanthids closed?   Why are my Zoanthids closed? Icon_minitime6/17/2011, 1:34 pm

I might need to mix a larger quantity for one specific rock I have in mind. It has GSP all over the end but HA down the rest of the length of it.
    Back to top Go down
    cwhip
    cwhip

PostSubject: Re: Why are my Zoanthids closed?   Why are my Zoanthids closed? Icon_minitime6/17/2011, 1:50 pm

wildbeanerz wrote:
    I might need to mix a larger quantity for one specific rock I have in mind. It has GSP all over the end but HA down the rest of the length of it.
    try it with the rock, you could probably even make the ratio a little stronger.
    let me know what happens!
    Back to top Go down
    Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why are my Zoanthids closed?   Why are my Zoanthids closed? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why are my Zoanthids closed?
    Page 1 of 1