UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Hello from Arlington TX

Go down 
+12
Pitbull
Bruggen
jessecichlidguy
MarkM
strikingthematch
CajunGator
ornate12
Ben
h0ngkn0t2
Cichlid Lover
BFinley
Jstump
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Jstump
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4

Favorite Fish: : Metriaclima sp. "Msobo" Magunga

Hello from Arlington TX Empty
PostSubject: Hello from Arlington TX   Hello from Arlington TX Icon_minitime4/21/2011, 5:41 pm

How's it going? I'm pretty new to the whole fish hobby. I'm currently trying to get an African Cichlid tank started. I dont know a whole lot about it yet. I currently have a 30 gallon tank that I just put some water in and letting it cycle. I was referred to this site by pitbull, I bought some sand from him. Any and all tips or info would be great. I can't wait to get some fish in it!
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Arlington TX   Hello from Arlington TX Icon_minitime4/21/2011, 5:44 pm

welcome2 hi
Back to top Go down
Cichlid Lover
USA Fishbox Sponsor
Cichlid Lover

Favorite Fish: : Peacocks

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Arlington TX   Hello from Arlington TX Icon_minitime4/21/2011, 6:36 pm

welcome hi
Back to top Go down
h0ngkn0t2
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
h0ngkn0t2

Favorite Fish: : African cichlids, Bristlenose Plecos and Koi

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Arlington TX   Hello from Arlington TX Icon_minitime4/21/2011, 6:43 pm

Welcome! Ask Willie for some old filter pads from his tanks to speed up the cycling process... What are you planning on stocking your tank with?
Back to top Go down
Ben
Ben

Favorite Fish: : Venustus and Catfish

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Arlington TX   Hello from Arlington TX Icon_minitime4/21/2011, 6:55 pm

Welcome to the Box.
Back to top Go down
Jstump
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Arlington TX   Hello from Arlington TX Icon_minitime4/21/2011, 6:59 pm

I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to stock yet. I don't know a whole lot about the different types of cichlids.
Back to top Go down
Jstump
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Arlington TX   Hello from Arlington TX Icon_minitime4/21/2011, 7:03 pm

I don't know their actual name but I definitely like the electric blue and yellow labs
Back to top Go down
h0ngkn0t2
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
h0ngkn0t2

Favorite Fish: : African cichlids, Bristlenose Plecos and Koi

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Arlington TX   Hello from Arlington TX Icon_minitime4/21/2011, 7:16 pm

Well, definitely make sure that you know how big the fish you are choosing will be and their temperament (aggressiveness). Is your 30 gallon 36" long? or is it the 29 Gallon, which is 30" long. Yellow labs are more docile and can be kept in smaller tanks. The Electric Blues get pretty big, they might be a better candidate for a bigger tank...unless you mean the Electric Blue Johanni.

Regardless of my rambling... just do your research and ask lots of questions. There are many seasoned fish hobbyists on this forum that can help you out. Finding the right sized fish and the right tank mates are key to having a healthy/stress free fish tank.
Back to top Go down
ornate12
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
ornate12

Favorite Fish: : Ornate Bichirs, Synodontis Angelicus, Filamentosus barb,
Aristochromis Christyi, Ptychochromis Grandidieri and all other Madagascar cichlids.

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Arlington TX   Hello from Arlington TX Icon_minitime4/21/2011, 7:24 pm

Hello and Welcome to the Box!! Enjoy yourself!!

welcome welcome welcome
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Arlington TX   Hello from Arlington TX Icon_minitime4/21/2011, 7:28 pm

usafishbox hi welcome2 fish
Back to top Go down
Jstump
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Arlington TX   Hello from Arlington TX Icon_minitime4/21/2011, 7:57 pm

My tank is a 30 long. It's 36". I also like the real colorful peacock and the rusty ones.
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Stingrays, Arowana, Rams, and Angels

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Arlington TX   Hello from Arlington TX Icon_minitime4/21/2011, 7:58 pm

Welcome!

Have to love the peacocks, some really colorful fish that love to show off.
Back to top Go down
MarkM
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
MarkM

Favorite Fish: : If it swims and has fins and gills, I like it.

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Arlington TX   Hello from Arlington TX Icon_minitime4/21/2011, 9:07 pm

welcome
Back to top Go down
jessecichlidguy
jessecichlidguy

Favorite Fish: : cichlids cichlids cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Arlington TX   Hello from Arlington TX Icon_minitime4/21/2011, 9:14 pm

welcome2
Back to top Go down
Bruggen
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
Bruggen

Favorite Fish: : Lepidiolamprologus Kendallis
Aulonocara Peacocks

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Arlington TX   Hello from Arlington TX Icon_minitime4/21/2011, 9:26 pm

Welcome!

hi
Back to top Go down
Pitbull
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Pitbull

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Arlington TX   Hello from Arlington TX Icon_minitime4/21/2011, 11:43 pm

Welcome Buddy!!!!!! I am about to tke down a 40 gallon tank. If interested I can supply you with the cycled water to use for your tanl. LMK
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Arlington TX   Hello from Arlington TX Icon_minitime4/22/2011, 12:06 am

usafishbox welcome Hello from Arlington TX 393849

I am in Mansfield. Anytime you want to come talk fish let me know and I will also show you around the fish room. yes Hello from Arlington TX 772341
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

Favorite Fish: : all of them along with mermaids and me I'm a Pisces.

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Arlington TX   Hello from Arlington TX Icon_minitime4/22/2011, 12:18 am

welcome, talk to kmx kory he knews his africans, and holey rock of texas(david) knews his africains too. he also sells holey rock for african cichlids... awesome guys who will help you out. welcome to the site..
Back to top Go down
proyect01
Captain
Captain
proyect01

Favorite Fish: : Aulonocara species

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Arlington TX   Hello from Arlington TX Icon_minitime4/22/2011, 7:14 am

Welcome
Pirates
Back to top Go down
Jstump
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Arlington TX   Hello from Arlington TX Icon_minitime4/22/2011, 8:21 am

Thanks everyone for all the welcomes! Kmx, i would definitely like to talk fish sometime. Anything I can learn would be great. I've been wanting to get into the fish hobby for quite awhile now. I have a litlle 10 gallon thats been running for about a year with some small fish in it. African cichlids have caught my attention and can't wait to get started. Pitbull, I might take some of your water but I don't really have a way to transport it.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Arlington TX   Hello from Arlington TX Icon_minitime4/22/2011, 8:37 am

Jstump, I live right near pitbull and I have and I am sure he has some buckets you can transfer the water in if that is the route you take.
Back to top Go down
Jstump
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Arlington TX   Hello from Arlington TX Icon_minitime4/22/2011, 8:45 am

How long does it take for water to cycle? I've heard about 2 weeks. I've had it running for close to a week and I've checked it with the color water tests and the colors are right on. I'm not sure I need any water. Cichlids require a higher ph right?
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Arlington TX   Hello from Arlington TX Icon_minitime4/22/2011, 8:52 am

Depending on what you did to set up.

I never fully cycle my tanks the correct way. Which I think actually takes like 4 -6 weeks. Not sure b/c I dont do it. When I start a new tank I will add 50% already good bacteria water ( from a well established tank) into the new tank along with a used filter from that tank I got the water from. (good bacteria in the filter pads) Then use 50% new water (de chlornated of course) I add fish the next day.

Ph for cichlids like to be a little higher then some fish.

IMO I do not like test kits....Who knows if they are ever accurate. I think some have even proven to expire after a while and give the wrong readings.

Last edited by KMX on 4/22/2011, 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jstump
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Arlington TX   Hello from Arlington TX Icon_minitime4/22/2011, 8:55 am

Sounds much faster than letting it sit there and waiting
Back to top Go down
Jstump
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Arlington TX   Hello from Arlington TX Icon_minitime4/22/2011, 9:00 am

When I put water in I just used tap water and a declorinator.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Arlington TX   Hello from Arlington TX Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hello from Arlington TX
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next