UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

Might be getting another tank!!!!

Go down 
+5
Dr. Who
KMX
CajunGator
strikingthematch
red_dragon_girl_69
9 posters
AuthorMessage
red_dragon_girl_69
Sergeant
Sergeant
red_dragon_girl_69

Favorite Fish: : Oscars, bettas, red tail sharks, dragonfish, cichlids.

Might be getting another tank!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Might be getting another tank!!!!   Might be getting another tank!!!! Icon_minitime3/20/2011, 2:00 am

Just replied to 2 ads on craigslist. One for a 20 gal, just the tank, for $10. The other for a 20-25 gal, stand/cabinet, and top for $35.

I hope one is still available.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Might be getting another tank!!!!   Might be getting another tank!!!! Icon_minitime3/20/2011, 7:05 am

Good prices ! hope you get em
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Stingrays, Arowana, Rams, and Angels

PostSubject: Re: Might be getting another tank!!!!   Might be getting another tank!!!! Icon_minitime3/20/2011, 7:25 am

Sounds like a good deal hope your first in line!
Back to top Go down
red_dragon_girl_69
Sergeant
Sergeant
red_dragon_girl_69

PostSubject: Re: Might be getting another tank!!!!   Might be getting another tank!!!! Icon_minitime3/20/2011, 9:09 am

Im going up there today to look at, and possibly get the $35 one!!!!

It also has a filter, I missed that part last night.
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: Might be getting another tank!!!!   Might be getting another tank!!!! Icon_minitime3/20/2011, 1:26 pm

good luck on your new purchase.... keep us informed... pics, pics, pics lol
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Might be getting another tank!!!!   Might be getting another tank!!!! Icon_minitime3/20/2011, 6:52 pm

How did it go?
Back to top Go down
Dr. Who
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Might be getting another tank!!!!   Might be getting another tank!!!! Icon_minitime3/20/2011, 7:02 pm

Ditto.
Back to top Go down
red_dragon_girl_69
Sergeant
Sergeant
red_dragon_girl_69

PostSubject: Re: Might be getting another tank!!!!   Might be getting another tank!!!! Icon_minitime3/20/2011, 9:53 pm

Well, I got it! Its pretty nice. The filter is cr@p. WAY too small for the tank, but the filter I am already using will work just fine. There seems to be some water damage on the stand, but Im thinking its from water spilling during cleaning. The seals seem to be in good shape, and I filled it with some water outside and saw no leaks.

It is not in it's final resting place yet, but I will take pics as soon as it is. Tomorrow I go to buy the gravel/sand (havent decided which yet) and a hood unit (it came with a glass top that barely fits, and is broke a bit). Gonna get it all set up on Tuesday since we will be pretty busy tomorrow (hubby's only day off.)

Now, advice please. And please bear with me if I am being stupid with this thought.

Could I put the gravel and filter from my existing tank in/on the new tank, then add the water from my old tank and add the fish right away? Or is that a bad idea? My conundrum is that I need the filter to cycle the new tank, but I cant have the filter in 2 tanks. My only other option is to use the small shoddy filter in my small tank, and hope its enough to keep my fish alive while my new tank cycles.

Also, how long should I wait, is there anything I can do to get things going faster, etc?

Im not planning on buying any new fish for a few weeks at least, I just need to get my fish moved around soon (light blew out in the baby tank today).
Back to top Go down
red_dragon_girl_69
Sergeant
Sergeant
red_dragon_girl_69

PostSubject: Re: Might be getting another tank!!!!   Might be getting another tank!!!! Icon_minitime3/20/2011, 10:12 pm

Another question, how much gravel/sand should I buy? Like how many pounds?
Back to top Go down
oscarlover007
Private First Class
Private First Class
oscarlover007

Favorite Fish: : Oscars and Jacks

PostSubject: Re: Might be getting another tank!!!!   Might be getting another tank!!!! Icon_minitime3/21/2011, 1:45 am

I usually put one pound per two gallons of water, so 10-15lbs. would be good. I love Craigslist. I got a FREE 55g with stand and everything. Also got a nice 20g setup for like $30. Craigslist deals are the best Might be getting another tank!!!! 772341
Back to top Go down
red_dragon_girl_69
Sergeant
Sergeant
red_dragon_girl_69

PostSubject: Re: Might be getting another tank!!!!   Might be getting another tank!!!! Icon_minitime3/21/2011, 6:09 pm

OK, so I have been talked out of sand, but I am getting some gravel that is small. Kind of a happy medium between sand and gravel.

We put a shelf in the stand to help with organization. We painted the inside (went a little crazy and painted every unpainted surface black to match the outside, because you know the inside and back and all the hidden crevices NEED to be painted, lol)

We will be buying everything Thursday (hubby's boss wont pay him til tomorrow).

Found a dragon statue that blows bubbles from its mouth that Im totally buying (bought a ceramic army guy that is pointing his gun kinda upwards that will be locked in battle with this dragon, lol. Yes, we are dorks. Dont hate.)

Im so excited. I cant wait!

Pics will come as we start setting up.
Back to top Go down
williemcd
Major
Major
williemcd

Favorite Fish: : Angels and hopefully soon Discus

PostSubject: Re: Might be getting another tank!!!!   Might be getting another tank!!!! Icon_minitime3/21/2011, 7:16 pm

Who or what circumstances talked you out of sand? I use swimming pool filter sand. $10.00 for 50 lbs. 30 lbs will do a 55 gal nicely... Bill
Back to top Go down
Ben
Ben

Favorite Fish: : Venustus and Catfish

PostSubject: Re: Might be getting another tank!!!!   Might be getting another tank!!!! Icon_minitime3/21/2011, 7:17 pm

Im a fan of sand what was the reason you were talked out of it.
Back to top Go down
lifeisgood
Captain
Captain
lifeisgood

Favorite Fish: : My Favorites are the Pleco's and Cory Cats . BUT , I have 44 running Tanks at this time . I keep 3 kinds of Shellies , several types of Pleco's ( mostly Ancistrus ), Cichlids , Crays , Angels , LB's , and some local species .

PostSubject: Re: Might be getting another tank!!!!   Might be getting another tank!!!! Icon_minitime3/21/2011, 7:21 pm

I would say that iffin' you are using the water , filter , and gravel from the old tank , you are basically going to have a cycled tank . The only problem I for see , is your water is gonna look like chocolate milk for a day or so till it settles again.
Ray
Back to top Go down
red_dragon_girl_69
Sergeant
Sergeant
red_dragon_girl_69

PostSubject: Re: Might be getting another tank!!!!   Might be getting another tank!!!! Icon_minitime3/21/2011, 7:34 pm

williemcd wrote:
Who or what circumstances talked you out of sand? I use swimming pool filter sand. $10.00 for 50 lbs. 30 lbs will do a 55 gal nicely... Bill

Im worried about it killing my filter. I was told that if it gets sucked into the filter its a very bad thing.

The gravel I found was like $3 for 10 pounds, and I only need 2 bags of it.

I just kinda want something easy that I have little chance of screwing up, lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Might be getting another tank!!!!   Might be getting another tank!!!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Might be getting another tank!!!!
Page 1 of 1