UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

aquascape

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Jaylove
Private
Private

Favorite Fish: : my favorite fish are bettas and angelfish. I used to like the African Cichlids,but have really leaned more into liking the angelfish.

aquascape Empty
PostSubject: aquascape   aquascape Icon_minitime3/9/2011, 9:00 pm

I have a 33 gallon tank and I want to set up some driftwood and some live plants, any suggestions on live plants and possibly how I should set them up?
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

aquascape Empty
PostSubject: Re: aquascape   aquascape Icon_minitime3/9/2011, 9:06 pm

You didn't list your lighting or any CO2 system. So I'll go with my favorites since all they need are cheap growlight bulbs and no extra CO2 (beyond what fish supply)

Java ferns tied off to the driftwood and various mosses attached to stones: Weeping, Java, Christmas and Pellia. You can create a wild aquascape with it. And not put major $$$ into it.
Back to top Go down
Jaylove
Private
Private

Favorite Fish: : my favorite fish are bettas and angelfish. I used to like the African Cichlids,but have really leaned more into liking the angelfish.

aquascape Empty
PostSubject: Re: aquascape   aquascape Icon_minitime3/9/2011, 9:14 pm

I currently do not have a co2 system, but found a site that told me how to set up one by using some household supplies. http://www.ehow.com/how_4710515_make-co-aquarium-plants.html(visited 3/9/11) I thought I would give it a try. As for lighting I have the standard overhead tank light, do I need something more for the plants or will they be okay with that? Thanks for helping me out.. I was thinking of doing moss, because the research that I did said that it is fast growing and you could create your back wall scene with moss by using suction cups and fishing line. I was considering on doing that. I also saw that you could tie the plants to the driftwood but I was wondering how they successfully grow on the drift wood? Where do the roots grow?
Back to top Go down
Keelo
Major
Major
Keelo

Favorite Fish: : Mollys, BN plec, and Thoracochromis brauschi

aquascape Empty
PostSubject: Re: aquascape   aquascape Icon_minitime3/10/2011, 12:01 am

Im going to move this to general freshwater discussion for ya :)

Also you will probably want to get new lighting, you need atleast 1-2 watts per gallon (this is considered low light but you can grow lots of moss and lots of plants with low light) also the best is to get a 6500k bulb you can get lower but the 6500k is the closest you can buy to the way the sun produces energy and light.

Also your substrate plays a big roll, you want a soft substrate so that its easy for the roots to grow such as sand. I get "all purpose sand" from lowes and jsut wash it real good, it looks great too!

As for the mosses most mosses such as java moss they dont have big long roots like most plants they jsut attack themselves to almost anything! i use rubber bands to anchore my java moss to my drift wood. Or i jsut tuck parts of the moss ball under the driftwood and lay the rest along it. Once you have it at hand this will probably make more sense.

The best way ive heard to make a moss wall is to get some soft mesh from a craft store liek hobby lobby along with some suction cups, cut the mesh to how big you need it for the back and then lay your moss on it, take another peice of mesh the same size as before and put it on top, use fishing line to kind of sew it together and use the suction cups to put it on your back glass. In a month or so the moss will start growing threw the mesh and hiding it so all you will see is a big moss wall.

I personally think Christmas moss looks best as a moss wall i havnt been able to find it anywhere unless i order it online and even then alot of people try to sell java moss as christmas moss so jsut be carefull if you want to go that route. But any moss will work great for this :)

I hope i could help!
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

Favorite Fish: : all of them along with mermaids and me I'm a Pisces.

aquascape Empty
PostSubject: Re: aquascape   aquascape Icon_minitime3/10/2011, 12:59 am

I would look throw the journals on plantedtank.net and aquaticplantcentral to see what you like... for low light you could do mosses, java fern, cryptocorynes, anubias, sagerittia, and vals.... medium light and you could work you way up to some steam plants...

you could also go to youtube, and look at amano video it's all if you want natural or a theme..... just remember you will be the one looking at thetank the most.
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

aquascape Empty
PostSubject: Re: aquascape   aquascape Icon_minitime3/12/2011, 8:27 am

Java ferns like to have their roots exposed. So the roots will hang freely, absorbing nutrients directly from the water.
Back to top Go down
BobV
Sergeant
Sergeant
BobV

Favorite Fish: : african cichlids

aquascape Empty
PostSubject: Re: aquascape   aquascape Icon_minitime3/13/2011, 3:35 am

Flourish Excel is a good substitute for DIY CO2....it adds carbon to the water. but be careful and don't overdose.....vals are very sensitive to it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

aquascape Empty
PostSubject: Re: aquascape   aquascape Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

aquascape
Page 1 of 1