UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

That was a close one.....

Go down 
    5 posters
    AuthorMessage
    red_dragon_girl_69
    Sergeant
    Sergeant
    red_dragon_girl_69

Favorite Fish: : Oscars, bettas, red tail sharks, dragonfish, cichlids.

That was a close one..... Empty
    PostSubject: That was a close one.....   That was a close one..... Icon_minitime3/9/2011, 1:21 pm

Our filter stopped working Sunday night sometime. I didnt notice until I fed my fish Sunday morning. I wasnt able to get to the store until today to buy a new filter. Thankfully, everyone is fine. I just kept the tank dark, and didnt feed the fish to try to keep the ammonia and whatnot down. I was really worried.

So for future reference. If a filter goes out, and I cannot get a new one right way, what is the longest amount of time fish can survive, and did I do the right thing by not feeding, and keeping the light off? (My thinking was that feeding them would lead to waste rotting in the gravel, and more poo being added to the tank leading to higher ammonia levels. And turning the light on would lead to algae growth.)

Our internet went out on us (stupid power cord) so I couldnt come on here to ask for advice.
    Back to top Go down
    alkomist
    Lieutenant General
    Lieutenant General
    alkomist

Favorite Fish: :

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
    ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: That was a close one.....   That was a close one..... Icon_minitime3/9/2011, 1:57 pm

try n have a pwerhead handy incase the filter craps out on ya again
    theyll be ok for awhile with water circulation till you get the new filter
    Back to top Go down
    brokeashell
    Sergeant 1st Class
    Sergeant 1st Class
    brokeashell

Favorite Fish: : Peacock Cichlids

PostSubject: Re: That was a close one.....   That was a close one..... Icon_minitime3/9/2011, 2:23 pm

my power filter failed on me the other day, and I wasn't able to get to the store for a replacement. I tore it apart and cleaned it. That seemed to fix it, but I agree with alkomist. Get a backup.
    Back to top Go down
    red_dragon_girl_69
    Sergeant
    Sergeant
    red_dragon_girl_69

Favorite Fish: : Oscars, bettas, red tail sharks, dragonfish, cichlids.

PostSubject: Re: That was a close one.....   That was a close one..... Icon_minitime3/9/2011, 2:37 pm

brokeashell wrote:
    my power filter failed on me the other day, and I wasn't able to get to the store for a replacement. I tore it apart and cleaned it. That seemed to fix it, but I agree with alkomist. Get a backup.

But would it get so dirty it needed cleaning after only 3 weeks of use? I looked in it and it looked clean. I even ran water through it and nothing came out of it. Also, I rinsed it out the week before when I did a water change, so I dont think that was the issue. I think it was just a faulty filter.

Unfortunately, stupid me, I didnt save the receipt, so I couldnt take it back. I DID, however, put the receipt of the new one in the box, and will keep it until the day I die, just in case.

OK, maybe not that long, but at least for the next 3 years, until the warranty runs out. crazy
    Back to top Go down
    brokeashell
    Sergeant 1st Class
    Sergeant 1st Class
    brokeashell

Favorite Fish: : Peacock Cichlids

PostSubject: Re: That was a close one.....   That was a close one..... Icon_minitime3/9/2011, 2:57 pm

Well, I did a substrate change with a water change and also put in new filters. Next day the power filter failed. The new filters got so dirty form the substrate change that it cause a failure...
    Back to top Go down
    Holey Rock of Texas
    Admin
    Admin
    Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: That was a close one.....   That was a close one..... Icon_minitime3/9/2011, 3:30 pm

glad to hear they made it.
    Back to top Go down
    Ben
    Ben

Favorite Fish: : Venustus and Catfish

PostSubject: Re: That was a close one.....   That was a close one..... Icon_minitime3/9/2011, 3:35 pm

Ive had a filter do that once before but was able to go and get another one quickly. A backup is a good idea. Glad to see your fish made it.
    Back to top Go down
    Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: That was a close one.....   That was a close one..... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

That was a close one.....
    Page 1 of 1