UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

Who keeps kilifish?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Snookemz
Sergeant
Sergeant
Snookemz

Favorite Fish: : believe it or not, I just love guppies.

Who keeps kilifish? Empty
PostSubject: Who keeps kilifish?   Who keeps kilifish? Icon_minitime2/26/2011, 3:35 pm

And what should people know about them?
They're really pretty and I've had an eye on them for a while, but I'm not one to jump into decisions. I'm considering maybe getting into them when we move (6wks) but of course, I need some opinions on them.
Are they ok with the guys I have now (guppies, mollies, platies) or would they be happier in their own tank?
Do they like a densly planted tank or lightly planted?
If I put them in the shrimp tank will they pick at my shrimp?
(can you tell I'm trying to find reasons to give them their own house?)
Better in larger or smaller groups?
I've never had an egg laying fish - what's the 411 on that? I'm seeing these cheap acrylic yarn "mops" for their breeding, well hey, I crochet so I have way prettier acrylic yarn, if those are helpful I can totally make that - hell I can make them all kinds of ways, shorter, longer, thicker, thinner, whatever fishies are down for BUT I don't know what they like because I don't know about egg layers.
I've never seen kilifish or killi eggs around town, none of the fish stores I've hung around, so where would you trust to buy from? USA prefered, I'm impatient once I DO make up my mind so I don't want it to take any longer than it has to.

I think...I think that's it, besides food of preference.
Back to top Go down
Shaysfishys
Captain
Captain
Shaysfishys

Favorite Fish: : Just about all of them!!

PostSubject: Re: Who keeps kilifish?   Who keeps kilifish? Icon_minitime2/26/2011, 8:02 pm

Okay where to start - mop spawners are much easier that peat spawners JMO

Yarn mops they don't really care what color but if you intend to pull eggs the darker colors are easier to them attatched too. Or swap out the mops every other week if you'd like to have more fry survive as killis will eat fry. Doesn't take anything special if you choose to swap out mops, just a butter dish/container or gallon jar or my favorite the $1 store shoe boxes. On the mops I do 50 wraps around a dvd case legnth wise not too thick easier for them to deposit eggs on/into.

If your house is above 65F room temp is good right around 70-72F ideal for lots of them. Light air circulation as they don't like lots.

In with your livebearers not really a good idea if your trying to raise the fry they can keep a population down to a dull roar if any so suggest their own housing. With shrimp never tried it but wouldn't suggest it fairly sure they would make short work of them could be wrong but never met a killi who doesn't like a live meal.

Foods mine eat flake, frozen foods and live foods but they're garbage guts. But conditioning them for spawning live foods get them in the mood and condition them the fastest.

I'll look thru my stuff, but have some notes for continental US ppl who usually have eggs available.

Okay there's my 2cents
Back to top Go down
ornate12
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
ornate12

Favorite Fish: : Ornate Bichirs, Synodontis Angelicus, Filamentosus barb,
Aristochromis Christyi, Ptychochromis Grandidieri and all other Madagascar cichlids.

PostSubject: Re: Who keeps kilifish?   Who keeps kilifish? Icon_minitime2/26/2011, 9:09 pm

Shay Who keeps kilifish? 858205 Great info.!
Back to top Go down
Dan W.
Sergeant
Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : To many to list but mostly Cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Who keeps kilifish?   Who keeps kilifish? Icon_minitime2/26/2011, 10:12 pm

Well I was going to give my two cents but Shaysfishys said it all, great advice. Who keeps kilifish? 772341
Back to top Go down
Snookemz
Sergeant
Sergeant
Snookemz

Favorite Fish: : believe it or not, I just love guppies.

PostSubject: Re: Who keeps kilifish?   Who keeps kilifish? Icon_minitime2/26/2011, 10:18 pm

awesome, thank you :) so do they like to have a lot of space or do they like to have a lot of company?
If I don't swap out the mops, will a few still survive or it all or nothing? I don't want to end up with 9403849330 fish in a month, but it would be nice to see their kids grow and mate and all that. If just 2 survived from each spawning that would be fine with me, otherwise I hope I can find someone to take the extras because I can't just let them all get eaten!!
I have this great pine green yarn with a tinsil spun into it, it actually looks like a live plant (I crocheted a little pouch to hold river rocks to weight it down and tossed a mop in to make it until my fry cover comes in - I hate that my guppies had so few places to hide! I cannot stand being unprepared!)

so Shay, what do you do with all your fish? Keep, sell? Got any pictures of your kilifish in their tanks? I think this will be the tank I set up for my mom - she'll love how pretty they are.
Back to top Go down
Shaysfishys
Captain
Captain
Shaysfishys

Favorite Fish: : Just about all of them!!

PostSubject: Re: Who keeps kilifish?   Who keeps kilifish? Icon_minitime2/26/2011, 10:51 pm

Most of the species you can keep a pair or trio comfortably in a 2 1/2g tank, have seen trios kept in the plastic jars you get licorice sticks in. Though the Gularis need lots of room 10g is pushing a 20g is much more comfortable for them.

As far as roomys have never really kept anyone with the adult killis, pretty much a species only tank. Did have a betta in with a couple different groups at different times since killis predominantly are middle to lower part of the tank and they did fine together though many will not recommend.

You don't have to swap out mops some fry will survive. Just be sure you get the mop spawners for raising them this way.

Don't have any current pics of my killi setup since down to just one species, and they are in a 5g wallyworld special bowfront acrylic and lots of mops. When I was moving fish around they ended up in one of those see thru totes on the coffee table until their tank became swimming headquarters for the power ranger adventures my 3 year old was involved in. When I was seriously working with the killis there were 7 species, all fun in their own way.

Oh and plants didn't answer that earlier, java moss and java fern are great for killis along with anyother plant that doesn't require alot of warmth since killis aren't overly keen on that.

Another thing is they are athletes meaning wonderful jumpers!!

A few great beginner killis are: australes (any of them), N'sukka, exiogodeum(?) or the garderni's in general.

As far as what I do with all of them, sell lots of them and then keep some for future breeders and some I just keep to grow out to sell as adult pairs.
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: Who keeps kilifish?   Who keeps kilifish? Icon_minitime2/27/2011, 12:15 am

Thanks Shay I picked up 2 pair of killies and was wondering about them as well...answered alot of my questions
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who keeps kilifish?   Who keeps kilifish? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Who keeps kilifish?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
UsaFishBox :: :: Freshwater Aquaria :: General Freshwater Fish Discussion-
Jump to: