UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

Caton's pint sized pico

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Caton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Caton

Favorite Fish: : All of them?

Caton's pint sized pico Empty
PostSubject: Caton's pint sized pico   Caton's pint sized pico Icon_minitime2/11/2011, 2:00 am

So while visiting a thrift store today, I found a 4''x4''x3'' cube, it is only 3" high. With the rocks, sand and everything else it comes out to around a pint of water. This tank will not have ANY fauna in it, simply flora. I might have some pond snails hitch-hike, but I try to keep my animals in humane "cages". (i.e, I would only put a betta in a 5g). I have some purple bamboo on the way thanks to somebody on plantedtank.net and hopefully I can get some HC this week. Hopefully, the bamboo will grow out of the tank and grow emersed.

I found the rocks while searching in the dark (like pitch black), so the rocks may change, but I like it right now. Seems a little big, but whenever I see rocks in this small of a tank, they get covered up. I hope to fix this problem by having slightly higher rocks.

Let me give you a run-down for what is planned:

Rocks: I found outside
Sand: Flourite that I used from my other tank
Light: just a simple desk light that I was using for growing glosso, but I had a frost in my room (i like to sleep in the cold...) and it all died. I got it for $2 at a thrift store a year back
Plants: Poaceae sp. 'Purple Bamboo' and HC (Hemianthus callitrichoides)
Tank: .2g but with sand and rocks it comes out to about a pint.
Total cost: around $16

Now I bet you want to see some pictures...

Caton's pint sized pico DSCF6596
Caton's pint sized pico DSCF6595

Last edited by Caton on 2/11/2011, 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cwillis
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
cwillis

Favorite Fish: : all of them that the problem but I do favor the shubunkins.

PostSubject: Re: Caton's pint sized pico   Caton's pint sized pico Icon_minitime2/11/2011, 5:29 am

thats awesome, I never thought about doing that.

I laughed out loud at the frost in the room, I like it cool when I sleep but not that cool!!!!
Back to top Go down
Cohazard
Sergeant
Sergeant
Cohazard

Favorite Fish: : I love the hobby as a whole and I like keeping all types of fish. I can narrow it down to Polypterus delhezi, Erpetoichthys clabaricus, Carinotetraodon irrubesco, angelfish and live bearers.

PostSubject: Re: Caton's pint sized pico   Caton's pint sized pico Icon_minitime2/11/2011, 11:05 pm

Nice nano! I can't wait to see it planted.

I've been thinking of planting something similar, with maybe red ramshorns and a single cherry shrimp.
Back to top Go down
Caton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Caton

PostSubject: Re: Caton's pint sized pico   Caton's pint sized pico Icon_minitime2/12/2011, 12:35 am

Thanks for the kind comments! I have the two plants I wanted on the way.

Caton's pint sized pico DSCF6599

Little cloudy because I just messed with it, I hope the snails will eat it.
Caton's pint sized pico DSCF6598

My poor barren 20g waiting to be torn down this sunday. (and yes, that is a 4ft shoplight)

Caton's pint sized pico DSCF6597
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

PostSubject: Re: Caton's pint sized pico   Caton's pint sized pico Icon_minitime2/12/2011, 8:27 am

That 20 would be great for fry!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Caton's pint sized pico   Caton's pint sized pico Icon_minitime2/12/2011, 8:33 am

awesome little tank!!!!
Back to top Go down
Caton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Caton

PostSubject: Re: Caton's pint sized pico   Caton's pint sized pico Icon_minitime2/12/2011, 11:32 am

CSnyder00 wrote:
That 20 would be great for fry!

It was looking great, I had it with 90 stems of rotala rotundifolia, apistogramma's cardinals, but I took all of that out because I am moving. This cube is just for me to get my fix. The 20g is new, I just bought the aquarium during the petco $1/gallon sale to replace my old one. But now I am moving to Kauai :)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Caton's pint sized pico   Caton's pint sized pico Icon_minitime2/12/2011, 4:23 pm

That is a spiffy idea! Giant hygro seems to be happy when it grows up out of the water, the leaves get thicker with a purplish tinge too.
Back to top Go down
Caton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Caton

PostSubject: Re: Caton's pint sized pico   Caton's pint sized pico Icon_minitime2/13/2011, 10:52 am

I think I am going to stick with three species of plants, kinda hard to even just keep one in this small of a tank. (The bottom part of the glass is 1" thick for reference)
Back to top Go down
Caton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Caton

PostSubject: Re: Caton's pint sized pico   Caton's pint sized pico Icon_minitime2/14/2011, 12:43 pm

I got my HC today! Man, the guy I bought it from always includes freebies. Its the best when you have a big tank, not really when you have a pico. But luckily he included dwarf hairgrass so I am just going to do it emersed. P_volitan, is a great aquabid seller.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Caton's pint sized pico   Caton's pint sized pico Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Caton's pint sized pico
Page 1 of 1