UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

Resealing Tank

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ClarkeExotics
Sergeant
Sergeant

Resealing Tank Empty
PostSubject: Resealing Tank   Resealing Tank Icon_minitime1/9/2011, 12:34 pm

I have a tank that was given to me by a friend. It originally held snakes (she rescued the snakes and the tank came with it) From measurements I found it was around 30 gallons. The sealant is all scrapped off and is peeling away. I have not checked it for cracks yet. I'm pretty sure it was sold as a reptile tank, but I'm curious to know if it can be used as an aquarium if re-sealed. If so, how do I go about re-sealing it?

I can get pictures of it to better show you what I'm talking about.
Back to top Go down
hatman
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
hatman

Favorite Fish: : I don't have favorite a fish, but I really enjoy my Christmas Fulu's. Also my 125g community tank.

Resealing Tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Resealing Tank   Resealing Tank Icon_minitime1/9/2011, 5:50 pm

found this on another site:

If the tank was manufactured for a reptile the glass is thinner. Otherwise cleaning with bleach and rinse, rinse, rinse then letting it set for a bit with heavily chlorinated water sure so the bleach is gone.
When I use rocks in my tanks I put silicone feet on them to protect the glass. Gravel I pour in directly on the glass.

Hope it helps
Back to top Go down

Resealing Tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Resealing Tank   Resealing Tank Icon_minitime1/9/2011, 6:41 pm

Scrape off that silicone on the inside of the tank. Wipe it down very well with denatured alcohol and reseal it with GE I clear silicone. Same concept as caulking a bath tub. Let dry for 48 hrs then leak test.

What are the dimensions of the tank and thickness of the glass? Yes some reptile tanks have thinner glass and they wont hold up to the water pressure. Get the dimensions and thickness and we can tell you if it is a fish or snake tank Resealing Tank 393849
Back to top Go down
ClarkeExotics
Sergeant
Sergeant

Resealing Tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Resealing Tank   Resealing Tank Icon_minitime1/10/2011, 11:15 am

The tank is 36" long, 12" wide and 16" tall. The glass thickness is about 1/2 a centimeter.
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

Resealing Tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Resealing Tank   Resealing Tank Icon_minitime1/10/2011, 11:20 am

also please clean the tank extremely well. make sure nothing with mix witht the water.
Back to top Go down
ClarkeExotics
Sergeant
Sergeant

Resealing Tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Resealing Tank   Resealing Tank Icon_minitime1/10/2011, 11:50 am

It will be cleaned several times before being used as an aquarium, if it gets used for fish at all. I might have to use it as a reptile tank.
Back to top Go down

Resealing Tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Resealing Tank   Resealing Tank Icon_minitime1/10/2011, 3:09 pm

You are good to go! Its fish thickness Resealing Tank 393849
Back to top Go down
ClarkeExotics
Sergeant
Sergeant

Resealing Tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Resealing Tank   Resealing Tank Icon_minitime1/10/2011, 3:39 pm

Yay!!!!!

Now I just need to look over it carefully to make sure I see no cracks and re-seal it!

Thanks so much!.....(now I'll have a bigger tank for my comet! And I can use the 14 for something else.)
Back to top Go down

Resealing Tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Resealing Tank   Resealing Tank Icon_minitime1/10/2011, 6:29 pm

Small chips in the corners that don't extend through are fine, most of my tanks have those and I just add a little glob of silicone over it..... not sure if it does anything but it makes me feel better.
Don't get too frustrated if it looks a little sloppy, my first reseal was an absolute mess lol!
Back to top Go down
ClarkeExotics
Sergeant
Sergeant

Resealing Tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Resealing Tank   Resealing Tank Icon_minitime1/17/2011, 4:00 pm

Ran into a problem. While inspecting the tank for cracks I found this

Resealing Tank IMG_20110113_162213
Back to top Go down
MarkM
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
MarkM

Favorite Fish: : If it swims and has fins and gills, I like it.

Resealing Tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Resealing Tank   Resealing Tank Icon_minitime1/17/2011, 4:09 pm

If it is bad, you can always patch it on the inside with another piece of glass.
Back to top Go down

Resealing Tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Resealing Tank   Resealing Tank Icon_minitime1/17/2011, 4:42 pm

Just clean it up and glob silicone on it. That should hold just fine.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Resealing Tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Resealing Tank   Resealing Tank Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Resealing Tank
Page 1 of 1