UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

sexing electric blue rams (pics inside)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
jessecichlidguy
jessecichlidguy

Favorite Fish: : cichlids cichlids cichlids

sexing electric blue rams (pics inside) Empty
PostSubject: sexing electric blue rams (pics inside)   sexing electric blue rams (pics inside) Icon_minitime12/19/2010, 10:05 pm

can someone pls explain to me on how to sex these beautiful fish what am i looking for

sexing electric blue rams (pics inside) Fish_t10

sexing electric blue rams (pics inside) Fish_t11

sexing electric blue rams (pics inside) Fish_t12

sexing electric blue rams (pics inside) Fish_t13

Last edited by jessecichlidguy on 12/20/2010, 11:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: sexing electric blue rams (pics inside)   sexing electric blue rams (pics inside) Icon_minitime12/20/2010, 12:26 am

Ok really hard to tell sex apart whe they are ot dropping eggs. From what I have read online the dorsal (top) fin on males like alot of cichlids comes to an elongated sharpened point. Females is a bit stubbier and rounded.

Saying that I can not tell the difference on mine.

Other way is thru observation and is iffy. Males will usually try to set up a dominance area chasing all the other fish/rams away.

If you find/read anything else please let me know. Both of these suggestions I have read are of a little help variety.
All of my elec. blues pretty much look the same and act the same. They might not be sexually mature yet so if anything changes I will let you know.
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

PostSubject: Re: sexing electric blue rams (pics inside)   sexing electric blue rams (pics inside) Icon_minitime12/20/2010, 10:20 pm

I can do it with almost 100% efficiency. It is all about the blue spangling much like Jack Dempseys.

German Blue Ram females will have bright distinctive blue dots on the black dot near their gills.

German Blue Ram males will have a fuzzy or splotchy blue spangling on the black dot instead of the distinctive blue dots.

Look at several pictures and you will see that this is almost the only thing that can sex them. The dorsal fin is another way, but can be deceiving when they are younger. Males will have a pointed fin PAST the tail fin, where the female will have a more rounded fin SHORT OF the tail fin. But again, with so many strains, this doesn't always hold exactly true.
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

PostSubject: Re: sexing electric blue rams (pics inside)   sexing electric blue rams (pics inside) Icon_minitime12/20/2010, 10:24 pm

Once you realize it, it is very easy. In some strains, the females will also have a bright pink belly.
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: sexing electric blue rams (pics inside)   sexing electric blue rams (pics inside) Icon_minitime12/20/2010, 10:49 pm

Not talking about german blues talking about Electric Blue Rams...They are completly blue in color no dots.
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

PostSubject: Re: sexing electric blue rams (pics inside)   sexing electric blue rams (pics inside) Icon_minitime12/20/2010, 10:49 pm

Thanks for the info on german blues...does it work for juvies as well or just sexually mature?
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

PostSubject: Re: sexing electric blue rams (pics inside)   sexing electric blue rams (pics inside) Icon_minitime12/20/2010, 10:53 pm

You can sex GBRS that way as Juvies. I could tell at pinky fingernail size what sex my GBR's were. I'm lost on the Electric Blues until they are bigger. Finnage might be the only way on them.
Back to top Go down

sexing electric blue rams (pics inside)
Page 1 of 1