UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

What is the purpose of a tumbler?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Speedy Ron
Private
Private

Favorite Fish: : Tropheus, until my colony gets bloat

What is the purpose of a tumbler? Empty
PostSubject: What is the purpose of a tumbler?   What is the purpose of a tumbler? Icon_minitime11/17/2010, 1:06 pm

i stripped one of my tropheus females last night who was holding fry. i accidentally grabbed the wrong female at first and she spit out an egg with the little fry attached to it. i put him in the fry tank. what is the purpose of a tumbler...does the egg/fry need to be in one?
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: What is the purpose of a tumbler?   What is the purpose of a tumbler? Icon_minitime11/17/2010, 1:47 pm

The purpose of a tumbeler is to artifically creat the movement of the mother fish's mouth...keeps the eggs moving.
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: What is the purpose of a tumbler?   What is the purpose of a tumbler? Icon_minitime11/17/2010, 2:00 pm

they are no sub. for the mother tho.
Back to top Go down
Speedy Ron
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: What is the purpose of a tumbler?   What is the purpose of a tumbler? Icon_minitime11/17/2010, 2:01 pm

do you think little egg guy will survive in the fry tank without tumbler?
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

PostSubject: Re: What is the purpose of a tumbler?   What is the purpose of a tumbler? Icon_minitime11/17/2010, 2:02 pm

eggs no. but if they have a body with egg sac maybe.
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

PostSubject: Re: What is the purpose of a tumbler?   What is the purpose of a tumbler? Icon_minitime11/17/2010, 2:04 pm

but it really depends on why type of fish we are talking about.
Back to top Go down
Speedy Ron
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: What is the purpose of a tumbler?   What is the purpose of a tumbler? Icon_minitime11/17/2010, 2:06 pm

he has a body but its attached to the egg still. its a tropheus. it swims around a little bit but the egg is too heavy for it to go anywhere. does it need to eat?
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

PostSubject: Re: What is the purpose of a tumbler?   What is the purpose of a tumbler? Icon_minitime11/17/2010, 2:10 pm

dont feed it until the egg sac is gone. place him in an area where he is alone and with lots of O2. also add some methylene blue to prevent ick and he will make it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is the purpose of a tumbler?   What is the purpose of a tumbler? Icon_minitime11/17/2010, 2:12 pm

that is a yoke sac not an egg. It has hatched. The fry will live off the sac for food as soon as it is free swimming start feeding.
Back to top Go down
Speedy Ron
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: What is the purpose of a tumbler?   What is the purpose of a tumbler? Icon_minitime11/17/2010, 2:20 pm

so i can just let it roam free in the fry tank? the fry are about .5" they wont mess with it. i think your right about the yolk sac. its yellow
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is the purpose of a tumbler?   What is the purpose of a tumbler? Icon_minitime11/17/2010, 2:27 pm

yes let it be be sure it has a place like a rock or something to hide in also the methylene blue half dose will help.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is the purpose of a tumbler?   What is the purpose of a tumbler? Icon_minitime11/17/2010, 6:00 pm

If you have a stainless steel strainer that's what I use for an egg tumbler. Set it so its hanging in the tank and put the wigglers in it. Get an air stone and set it under it, adjust it so the wigglers are just barely jiggling from the water movement.
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Favorite Fish: : Stingrays
Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: What is the purpose of a tumbler?   What is the purpose of a tumbler? Icon_minitime11/17/2010, 7:20 pm

You can make them rather easily. The tea strainers are good for shrimp too.
Back to top Go down
jb1edlover
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
jb1edlover

Favorite Fish: : I have the fish in my avatar but the photo was taken by Nick Andreola of the HCCC. His photography skills are a little better than mine!

PostSubject: Re: What is the purpose of a tumbler?   What is the purpose of a tumbler? Icon_minitime11/17/2010, 9:38 pm

Tumblers serve several purposes.... new moms sometimes don't "get it right" the first few times they spawn so a tumbler is a great way to have a successful survival rate... I usually let mom do it on her own when she gets practice.... Also I use tumblers on rare fish that don't spawn regularly or are very rare until I get a back up colony or two.

Tumblers are really easy to make and are very handy to keep around just in case! I've had 20+ tumblers going at one time before because of rapid breeding going on with weather changes. Tumbers also reduce the risk of mom, dad and tanks mates getting an easy meal.

JB
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is the purpose of a tumbler?   What is the purpose of a tumbler? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What is the purpose of a tumbler?
Page 1 of 1