UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Is there an Ich Treatment that won't kill the beneficial bacteria?

Go down 
+7
Elrollo
Joe Reborn
khrister
vman
Jeepluv77
dano
caroline696
11 posters
AuthorMessage
caroline696
Private
Private

Is there an Ich Treatment that won't kill the beneficial bacteria? Empty
PostSubject: Is there an Ich Treatment that won't kill the beneficial bacteria?   Is there an Ich Treatment that won't kill the beneficial bacteria? Icon_minitime11/7/2010, 9:55 am

I need to treat Ich in my tank, and since it spreads so easily I am going to treat the main tank. I raised the temp to about 83 but I wanted to know what medication works best and if there are any that would not kill off the beneficial bacteria. I have african cichlids, and a pleco if this impacts the treatment. Thanks
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is there an Ich Treatment that won't kill the beneficial bacteria?   Is there an Ich Treatment that won't kill the beneficial bacteria? Icon_minitime11/7/2010, 10:41 am

What kind of cichlids and what kind of pleco?
The size of tank would be good to know too.
Back to top Go down
caroline696
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Is there an Ich Treatment that won't kill the beneficial bacteria?   Is there an Ich Treatment that won't kill the beneficial bacteria? Icon_minitime11/7/2010, 11:14 am

I have african cichlids (mainly mbuna) and a common pleco in a 75 gal tank. I am trying to determine which medication I should buy to treat Ich most effectively without harming the beneficial bacteria. I am not interested in doing salt treatments that I hav about because I have heard they can hurt the pleco. Thanks
Back to top Go down
dano
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
dano

PostSubject: Re: Is there an Ich Treatment that won't kill the beneficial bacteria?   Is there an Ich Treatment that won't kill the beneficial bacteria? Icon_minitime11/7/2010, 12:17 pm

I have used a product called Quick Cure (malachite green and formalin) for ick for years without noticing significant damage to the beneficial bacteria......You must follow the instructions fully and half dose if you are worried about a particular type of fish......................Not good for invertebrates in the tank.
Back to top Go down
Jeepluv77
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Jeepluv77

Favorite Fish: : Species I've kept: Freshwater- Dwarf puffers and clown loaches. Saltwater- Volitans and Snowflake Moray

Species I'd love to keep one day- Freshwater- Rays. Saltwater- Bamboo/Cat Sharks

PostSubject: Re: Is there an Ich Treatment that won't kill the beneficial bacteria?   Is there an Ich Treatment that won't kill the beneficial bacteria? Icon_minitime11/7/2010, 12:42 pm

I, too, have used half dose of Quick Cure with no ill effects on the bacteria. It also tends to not stain the silicone seams very much at that dose. Honestly, I've never gotten any more effective cure or shorter time frame from the full dose so I only use half dose any more regardless of what fish I've got. As dano said, however, it is not good for any inverts. Oh, and they aren't kidding when they say pull the carbon from your filter.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is there an Ich Treatment that won't kill the beneficial bacteria?   Is there an Ich Treatment that won't kill the beneficial bacteria? Icon_minitime11/7/2010, 5:48 pm

Is there an Ich Treatment that won't kill the beneficial bacteria? 858205 I use it at half dose as well, just as good as full dose.

You do know that common plecos get up to a few feet long?
Back to top Go down
vman
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: Is there an Ich Treatment that won't kill the beneficial bacteria?   Is there an Ich Treatment that won't kill the beneficial bacteria? Icon_minitime11/7/2010, 6:48 pm

Last edited by vman on 11/26/2010, 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
khrister
USA Fishbox Sponsor
khrister

Favorite Fish: :
Cyphotilapia
Cyprichromis
Mbunas
Fancy PL*CO

PostSubject: Re: Is there an Ich Treatment that won't kill the beneficial bacteria?   Is there an Ich Treatment that won't kill the beneficial bacteria? Icon_minitime11/7/2010, 9:49 pm

You want a non-medicated treatment?

Raise temperature and use aquarium salt.

http://thegab.org/Illness-and-Treatment/treating-ich-with-salt.html

usafishbox
Back to top Go down
Joe Reborn
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Joe Reborn

Favorite Fish: : Red Festae, Frontosa, Red Zebra, Green Terror

PostSubject: Re: Is there an Ich Treatment that won't kill the beneficial bacteria?   Is there an Ich Treatment that won't kill the beneficial bacteria? Icon_minitime11/7/2010, 11:59 pm

X2 on what the Evil Jojo said (Khrister)
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: Is there an Ich Treatment that won't kill the beneficial bacteria?   Is there an Ich Treatment that won't kill the beneficial bacteria? Icon_minitime11/8/2010, 2:25 am

You can always try a copper dip also medicine never really enters your tank..might stress the fish out if it is the very progressed stage of the disease. This is where you use a small backet/tank treat it with copper and simple net you fish dip them in the bucket set them back in the tank. We used to treat salt water fish in invert tanks this way.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Is there an Ich Treatment that won't kill the beneficial bacteria?   Is there an Ich Treatment that won't kill the beneficial bacteria? Icon_minitime11/8/2010, 8:40 am

khrister wrote:
You want a non-medicated treatment?

Raise temperature and use aquarium salt.

http://thegab.org/Illness-and-Treatment/treating-ich-with-salt.html

usafishbox

Took the words right out of my mouth!

I agree 100000%

No meds! Heat n salt usafishbox

You can't kill ich ....you can only speed up the process.
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: Is there an Ich Treatment that won't kill the beneficial bacteria?   Is there an Ich Treatment that won't kill the beneficial bacteria? Icon_minitime11/8/2010, 11:26 am

yep, JoJo rules...
Back to top Go down
caroline696
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Is there an Ich Treatment that won't kill the beneficial bacteria?   Is there an Ich Treatment that won't kill the beneficial bacteria? Icon_minitime11/8/2010, 12:52 pm

Will raising the temp to 86 degrees without adding salt still work? I don't want to add salt because of the pleco, I've read that it can harm them. I did read that temp works because it keeps the Ich from being able to reproduce. I was thinking of just raising the temp for 10 days and trying not to add anything. What do you think?
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

PostSubject: Re: Is there an Ich Treatment that won't kill the beneficial bacteria?   Is there an Ich Treatment that won't kill the beneficial bacteria? Icon_minitime11/8/2010, 1:58 pm

I've always used Quick Cure to treat ich and never had a problem, works quick and dont harm anything on the tank...
Back to top Go down
unknown
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
unknown

Favorite Fish: : You mean I gotta have a favorite??

PostSubject: Re: Is there an Ich Treatment that won't kill the beneficial bacteria?   Is there an Ich Treatment that won't kill the beneficial bacteria? Icon_minitime11/8/2010, 3:51 pm

The salt won't hurt your pleco if kept at normal doses. Raise the temp and add the salt. Khrister raises plecos and wouldn't recommend anything that would harm them.
Back to top Go down
caroline696
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Is there an Ich Treatment that won't kill the beneficial bacteria?   Is there an Ich Treatment that won't kill the beneficial bacteria? Icon_minitime11/8/2010, 4:30 pm

Ok so what is the best dosage regimen for salt addition. I read 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons in an article. Does this sound right? How long do I keep the salt in the water? For the 10 days of the raised temp?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is there an Ich Treatment that won't kill the beneficial bacteria?   Is there an Ich Treatment that won't kill the beneficial bacteria? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is there an Ich Treatment that won't kill the beneficial bacteria?
Page 1 of 1