UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Can a tank previously used for reptiles or other animals then be used for fish?

Go down 
+3
elfwolfe
btreut
bcijoe
7 posters
AuthorMessage
bcijoe
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
bcijoe

Favorite Fish: : Betta, Pacu, Clown Loach, Alfbn Pleco, Yellow Fin Barb (Lemon Barb), White Fin Rosy Tetra, Congo Tetra, more

Can a tank previously used for reptiles or other animals then be used for fish? Empty
PostSubject: Can a tank previously used for reptiles or other animals then be used for fish?   Can a tank previously used for reptiles or other animals then be used for fish? Icon_minitime11/1/2010, 12:03 pm

I never realized this, and may have done it before and just not noticed, but I was recently told by a friend who used a 75g tank for snakes.

When he converted it into a fish tank, his fish kept dying. When taking water to LFS to check, they had told him the previous animal had left too much ammonia in the tank, and a good amount of it was absorbed into the silicone sealant.

Supposedly this was extremely toxic and he could not keep fish alive or his levels down for weeks. It took a lot of money and a great deal of work and time to finally get it down.

Has anyone heard of this or can anyone tell me their experience?

I just tore down a 90g which was inhabited by rare Albino Tree Frogs and now I wanted to make it a new fish tank.

Any suggestions on how to clean it out?

Thanks much
Back to top Go down
btreut
Private
Private

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids

Can a tank previously used for reptiles or other animals then be used for fish? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Can a tank previously used for reptiles or other animals then be used for fish?   Can a tank previously used for reptiles or other animals then be used for fish? Icon_minitime11/1/2010, 12:16 pm

i have heard that you have to reseal it and clean really good
Back to top Go down
elfwolfe
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
elfwolfe

Favorite Fish: : graduating from community fish to aggressive fish (cichlids), but will always have a soft spot for my krbs and betta's.

PostSubject: Re: Can a tank previously used for reptiles or other animals then be used for fish?   Can a tank previously used for reptiles or other animals then be used for fish? Icon_minitime11/1/2010, 12:40 pm

btreut wrote:
i have heard that you have to reseal it and clean really good

Yes! You will have to reseal it as silicone will dry out and cause leaks if filled with water. This is why when buying a tank that has been sitting empty for a long time, you should only fill it with water and wait a few days (I wait a week minimum fr my own satisfaction) in case of leaks. (When I worked at a pet store that sold both fish and reptiles, the manager for the reptiles had told me the silicone will dry out)

As for cleaning, I cannot help you there, I have never had to; but my thoughts would be it would be easier (and a bit safer) if you stripped and resealed the tank.
Back to top Go down
bcijoe
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
bcijoe

Favorite Fish: : Betta, Pacu, Clown Loach, Alfbn Pleco, Yellow Fin Barb (Lemon Barb), White Fin Rosy Tetra, Congo Tetra, more

PostSubject: Re: Can a tank previously used for reptiles or other animals then be used for fish?   Can a tank previously used for reptiles or other animals then be used for fish? Icon_minitime11/1/2010, 12:58 pm

which is the sealant to use again?
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

PostSubject: Re: Can a tank previously used for reptiles or other animals then be used for fish?   Can a tank previously used for reptiles or other animals then be used for fish? Icon_minitime11/1/2010, 1:02 pm

You can use GE I or GE II.I've used both and never had a problem with either.You can go to your LFS and spend alot more for the aquarium silicone.
Back to top Go down
elfwolfe
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
elfwolfe

Favorite Fish: : graduating from community fish to aggressive fish (cichlids), but will always have a soft spot for my krbs and betta's.

PostSubject: Re: Can a tank previously used for reptiles or other animals then be used for fish?   Can a tank previously used for reptiles or other animals then be used for fish? Icon_minitime11/1/2010, 1:03 pm

the clear aquarium sealant. I dont now any brand names, but your lfs should have it
Back to top Go down
elfwolfe
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
elfwolfe

PostSubject: Re: Can a tank previously used for reptiles or other animals then be used for fish?   Can a tank previously used for reptiles or other animals then be used for fish? Icon_minitime11/1/2010, 1:04 pm

BFinley wrote:
You can use GE I or GE II.I've used both and never had a problem with either.You can go to your LFS and spend alot more for the aquarium silicone.

hehe, or what he said ^
Back to top Go down
bcijoe
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
bcijoe

PostSubject: Re: Can a tank previously used for reptiles or other animals then be used for fish?   Can a tank previously used for reptiles or other animals then be used for fish? Icon_minitime11/1/2010, 1:10 pm

the lfs sells the small tube of aquarium sealant for alot, i'm asking about the equivelant which is sold at home depot in a larger tube for alot less..

I think something like GE G1 or something?

Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

PostSubject: Re: Can a tank previously used for reptiles or other animals then be used for fish?   Can a tank previously used for reptiles or other animals then be used for fish? Icon_minitime11/1/2010, 1:19 pm

Yes you can use the GE 1 or the GE 2 from home depot.Alot cheaper.Thats what I use on all my tanks.I just resealed a 100g about 2 weeks ago with the GE 1 silicone and its up and running African cichlids in it.
Back to top Go down
bcijoe
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
bcijoe

PostSubject: Re: Can a tank previously used for reptiles or other animals then be used for fish?   Can a tank previously used for reptiles or other animals then be used for fish? Icon_minitime11/1/2010, 1:20 pm

Thank you
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

PostSubject: Re: Can a tank previously used for reptiles or other animals then be used for fish?   Can a tank previously used for reptiles or other animals then be used for fish? Icon_minitime11/1/2010, 1:21 pm

Ur welcome!Anytime!! Can a tank previously used for reptiles or other animals then be used for fish? 772341
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: Can a tank previously used for reptiles or other animals then be used for fish?   Can a tank previously used for reptiles or other animals then be used for fish? Icon_minitime11/1/2010, 1:33 pm

I. Agree
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can a tank previously used for reptiles or other animals then be used for fish?   Can a tank previously used for reptiles or other animals then be used for fish? Icon_minitime11/1/2010, 2:59 pm

if you use Ge silicone II be sure there are no additives and never use silicone that is "mildew resistant". GE silicone I is a safer bet if you have never used silicone before to reseal a tank. (be sure to wear rubber gloves)
Back to top Go down
mike205
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
mike205

Favorite Fish: : peacocks and koi

PostSubject: Re: Can a tank previously used for reptiles or other animals then be used for fish?   Can a tank previously used for reptiles or other animals then be used for fish? Icon_minitime11/1/2010, 4:50 pm

i have some that were reptile tanks and my method is if the silicone looks and feels good then ill fill with water and let it sit for atleast a week and if it dont leak then ill use it with no worries if it does leak then i might reseal it unless i find someone to buy it for a reptile tank
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: Can a tank previously used for reptiles or other animals then be used for fish?   Can a tank previously used for reptiles or other animals then be used for fish? Icon_minitime11/1/2010, 11:02 pm

I usually soak all reptile tanks with bleach water for about a week....The big thing I always worry about is if soap or other detergents were used on tanks. They seem to leave a residue and are toxic in many cases.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can a tank previously used for reptiles or other animals then be used for fish?   Can a tank previously used for reptiles or other animals then be used for fish? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Can a tank previously used for reptiles or other animals then be used for fish?
Page 1 of 1