UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Hello from Las Vegas

Go down 
+4
mike205
KMX
BFinley
schmidtylv
8 posters
AuthorMessage
schmidtylv
Private First Class
Private First Class

Hello from Las Vegas  Empty
PostSubject: Hello from Las Vegas    Hello from Las Vegas  Icon_minitime10/25/2010, 12:37 pm

Hello from Las Vegas

Joined because I am looking for help and info from people with experience. Right now I have 5 tanks (although 2 are little betta tanks which have no problems).

These are my other tanks....

15 gallons... 2 goldfish about 4 inches each... everything fine with this tank.

The problems are with my 2 10 gallon tanks...

about a month ago one of the tanks had 5 tiger barbs and 2 siamese algea eaters... the other tank had 12 neons and 2 algea eaters... everything was going smoothly..

all of a sudden this brown looking stuff started growing on the glass and the fake plants..

i did 10% water changes every few days but nothing helped... then one by one the tiger barbs started dying off and the algea eaters started dying off in one of the tanks...

the other tank actually had and still has more of the brown stuff but no fish have died...

does anyone have any idea what i should do?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Las Vegas    Hello from Las Vegas  Icon_minitime10/25/2010, 2:18 pm

you have diatom algae growth which is normal for new set ups. SAE (siamese algae eaters grow to big for a 10 fal tank for starters. Goldfish need large tanks as they have huge waste loads and really good filtration. How long have these tanks been set up? Did you cycle the tanks? Do you know the ammonia levels? I have a feeling it's a cycling matter so check it out on the forum.
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Las Vegas    Hello from Las Vegas  Icon_minitime10/25/2010, 2:27 pm

welcome
Back to top Go down
schmidtylv
Private First Class
Private First Class

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Las Vegas    Hello from Las Vegas  Icon_minitime10/25/2010, 5:32 pm

the goldfish tank has been set up for over six months... i would like to go to a 30 gallon as soon as i can afford it.

the tank with the neons has been set up for over 3 months but i never had any problems until a month ago

the other 10 gall... was a five gallon which i took the water and all of the decorations and filteration and put into the ten gallon... i might have just added too many fish at once

and..... i asked the people at the store if the algea eaters would out grow the tank (like a pleco) and they said "no"... kind of pissed now.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Las Vegas    Hello from Las Vegas  Icon_minitime10/25/2010, 5:36 pm

welcome2
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Las Vegas    Hello from Las Vegas  Icon_minitime10/25/2010, 6:06 pm

Stores employees are there to pay the rent or students who do not know what they are talking about. (not all but it seems like most). I try to always get info from others who are in the hobby. Well for the algae try adding live plants like java fern or some stem plants to absorb the nutients that the algae uses. The tank with the barbs might have picked up a parasite. How did they look before they died?
Back to top Go down
mike205
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
mike205

Favorite Fish: : peacocks and koi

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Las Vegas    Hello from Las Vegas  Icon_minitime10/25/2010, 6:08 pm

welcome
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Las Vegas    Hello from Las Vegas  Icon_minitime10/25/2010, 8:55 pm

welcome
Ya all of the tanks you have listed need to be put into a 30g or larger, or combine the 2 tropical community tanks into a 55g and get another 55g for those 2 gold fish, they will need it.
The brown algae is harmless and not the cause of the issue. Can you describe their symptoms before they died?

Search craigslist daily, you will find some really good deals on used tanks on there if you keep an eye on it. I found a 90g with stand for $75 for example.
Back to top Go down
jessecichlidguy
jessecichlidguy

Favorite Fish: : cichlids cichlids cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Las Vegas    Hello from Las Vegas  Icon_minitime10/25/2010, 9:15 pm

welcome and you will get expert advice from members her on the box good luck and i agree about looking into craigslist for used tanks
Back to top Go down
goodpick
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
goodpick

Favorite Fish: : Just love fish

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Las Vegas    Hello from Las Vegas  Icon_minitime10/26/2010, 6:11 pm

welcome
Back to top Go down
OldTanks
USA Fishbox Sponsor
OldTanks

Favorite Fish: : http://photobucket.com/oldtanks

PostSubject: Welcome Aboard!   Hello from Las Vegas  Icon_minitime11/2/2010, 11:16 am

Welcome Aboard!

Very nice people here, Feel free to post your questions to the forums, and photos to the gallery.
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Las Vegas    Hello from Las Vegas  Icon_minitime11/2/2010, 11:21 am

WELCOME post some pics when you get a chance...

i sent you a friend request...

hi welcome2
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Las Vegas    Hello from Las Vegas  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hello from Las Vegas
Page 1 of 1