UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

ALL EXPERIENCED SW PPL's HELP!! 70W MH on a 40g????

Go down 
+4
Deven
chevy350
J*Hawk*83
alkomist
8 posters
AuthorMessage
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

Favorite Fish: :

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

ALL EXPERIENCED SW PPL's  HELP!! 70W MH on a 40g???? Empty
PostSubject: ALL EXPERIENCED SW PPL's HELP!! 70W MH on a 40g????   ALL EXPERIENCED SW PPL's  HELP!! 70W MH on a 40g???? Icon_minitime9/16/2010, 10:49 am

would my 70W MH be enough for a 40g?
dims are
20" tal by 36" wide by 15" deep but 4" are taken up by a built in sump on the back of the tank! so theirs only bout 11" of display depth

plz help i might get this tank for dirt cheap and am considering making this into my SW tank lol its bigger and has more ZAZ to it!! LOL
Back to top Go down
J*Hawk*83
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
J*Hawk*83

Favorite Fish: : Venestus
Trigger
Lionfish
Wrasse

PostSubject: Re: ALL EXPERIENCED SW PPL's HELP!! 70W MH on a 40g????   ALL EXPERIENCED SW PPL's  HELP!! 70W MH on a 40g???? Icon_minitime9/16/2010, 12:15 pm

I think it will be WAY MORE than enough! That's some serious lighting there.
Back to top Go down
chevy350
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
chevy350

PostSubject: Re: ALL EXPERIENCED SW PPL's HELP!! 70W MH on a 40g????   ALL EXPERIENCED SW PPL's  HELP!! 70W MH on a 40g???? Icon_minitime9/16/2010, 12:26 pm

yes that would be good. you could do about any coral you want. jump on it.
Back to top Go down
J*Hawk*83
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
J*Hawk*83

Trigger
Lionfish
Wrasse

PostSubject: Re: ALL EXPERIENCED SW PPL's HELP!! 70W MH on a 40g????   ALL EXPERIENCED SW PPL's  HELP!! 70W MH on a 40g???? Icon_minitime9/16/2010, 12:30 pm

Alk, I see you are slowly growing in size on that SW tank. Pretty soon your post will be, what lighting for a 125???
lol!
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: ALL EXPERIENCED SW PPL's HELP!! 70W MH on a 40g????   ALL EXPERIENCED SW PPL's  HELP!! 70W MH on a 40g???? Icon_minitime9/16/2010, 12:44 pm

LOL im kinda already looking at 250W MH fixtures for my 100g and its not even a SW tank YET

LOL
i get a lil ansy:)
but seriously? 70W for that depth of water is ok???
Back to top Go down
J*Hawk*83
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
J*Hawk*83

Trigger
Lionfish
Wrasse

PostSubject: Re: ALL EXPERIENCED SW PPL's HELP!! 70W MH on a 40g????   ALL EXPERIENCED SW PPL's  HELP!! 70W MH on a 40g???? Icon_minitime9/16/2010, 12:46 pm

Dude, that's some serious lighting. Like Chevy350 said, you will be able to put almost anything in there!
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: ALL EXPERIENCED SW PPL's HELP!! 70W MH on a 40g????   ALL EXPERIENCED SW PPL's  HELP!! 70W MH on a 40g???? Icon_minitime9/16/2010, 12:49 pm

Last edited by alkomist on 9/16/2010, 12:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: ALL EXPERIENCED SW PPL's HELP!! 70W MH on a 40g????   ALL EXPERIENCED SW PPL's  HELP!! 70W MH on a 40g???? Icon_minitime9/16/2010, 12:49 pm

lol i know how serious it is but i mean iv inly seen 70W's on nano reefs like 20Ls and 20Hs
basically small tanks!
but if you guys say so........lol i just wanna be sure i have enuff light in that depth for corals!
MAINLY MY CLAM:)
Back to top Go down
Deven
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: ALL EXPERIENCED SW PPL's HELP!! 70W MH on a 40g????   ALL EXPERIENCED SW PPL's  HELP!! 70W MH on a 40g???? Icon_minitime9/20/2010, 1:02 am

I don't think that is enough you could do zoas maybe. Just depends what you want to do coral wise. I have a 120 with 500w mh (2 250s) and 260 w compacts my 40 has a 150w mh and 2 39w t5. My 12 gallon nano has 64w. I would urge not doing a clam unless it was on top of a rock and directly under the light. If you do end up getting it make sure you either know how old the bulb is and change it if necessary cause the par makes a huge difference.
Back to top Go down
dogstsx
Private
Private
dogstsx

PostSubject: Re: ALL EXPERIENCED SW PPL's HELP!! 70W MH on a 40g????   ALL EXPERIENCED SW PPL's  HELP!! 70W MH on a 40g???? Icon_minitime10/9/2010, 8:59 pm

Yea 70w might not b enough for the clam unless u put him up a lil higher. I have a 175w on my 40 breeder frag tank with a 20k bulb. Everything was great!
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: ALL EXPERIENCED SW PPL's HELP!! 70W MH on a 40g????   ALL EXPERIENCED SW PPL's  HELP!! 70W MH on a 40g???? Icon_minitime10/12/2010, 8:25 am

yea i know about the whole par thing!!! i just wasnt really sure bout the hight of the tank!
i know that clams do very well in shallow reef tanks ESPECIALLY with MHs!!! i had a 20L(shallow) i know of 100s off ppl using these 70w MH over em! and they look SICK!!!!! very awsome lil set ups! i already have the tank and the light!!!(MH and AIO 40g) but i think imm stick with a 20L ill have to get another one but yea starting to lean more to the 20. becuz its more shallow and the clam will get more par and intensity from the light!

or what do you guys think bout using the MH and a t5 fixture? like a retro fit i can fit into a canopy?
Back to top Go down
dogstsx
Private
Private
dogstsx

PostSubject: Re: ALL EXPERIENCED SW PPL's HELP!! 70W MH on a 40g????   ALL EXPERIENCED SW PPL's  HELP!! 70W MH on a 40g???? Icon_minitime10/12/2010, 3:22 pm

Go 4 it.. only thing u might have 2 watch out 4 is the heat.
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: ALL EXPERIENCED SW PPL's HELP!! 70W MH on a 40g????   ALL EXPERIENCED SW PPL's  HELP!! 70W MH on a 40g???? Icon_minitime10/13/2010, 8:15 am

yea.....................and i dont really have the $$ to buy one of them lil fans fo light fixtures!....unless i find one for dirt cheap or free!!!!
ill see what happens!

only upside to this is i have time to collect items all over again for my SW tank so when im ready ill have everything i need:)
Back to top Go down
typicaltony
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: ALL EXPERIENCED SW PPL's HELP!! 70W MH on a 40g????   ALL EXPERIENCED SW PPL's  HELP!! 70W MH on a 40g???? Icon_minitime10/14/2010, 4:44 am

you dont need a fancy fan, just get a reg one from walmart and let it run near the tank.
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: ALL EXPERIENCED SW PPL's HELP!! 70W MH on a 40g????   ALL EXPERIENCED SW PPL's  HELP!! 70W MH on a 40g???? Icon_minitime10/14/2010, 9:49 am

lol thats what i was thinking!! get a lil desk fan or somthin small and have it behind the tank facing upwards towards the light fixture.
how far of a distance should it be from the light though?
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

PostSubject: Re: ALL EXPERIENCED SW PPL's HELP!! 70W MH on a 40g????   ALL EXPERIENCED SW PPL's  HELP!! 70W MH on a 40g???? Icon_minitime12/20/2010, 7:38 am

I use 150 watt Mh on my 40 breeder and to be honest I wouldn't go with anything less. not sure why some people here think 70 watt Mh is plenty.
as far as heat get yourself a small clip on fan from walmart they work really well.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: ALL EXPERIENCED SW PPL's HELP!! 70W MH on a 40g????   ALL EXPERIENCED SW PPL's  HELP!! 70W MH on a 40g???? Icon_minitime12/20/2010, 8:42 am

cwhip wrote:
I not sure why some people here think 70 watt Mh is plenty.
If you have never been told or tought then how would you know? This is what the forum is all about. Learning and obtaining info. Any help is much apperciated.

ALL EXPERIENCED SW PPL's  HELP!! 70W MH on a 40g???? 772341
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: ALL EXPERIENCED SW PPL's HELP!! 70W MH on a 40g????   ALL EXPERIENCED SW PPL's  HELP!! 70W MH on a 40g???? Icon_minitime12/20/2010, 2:03 pm

cwhip wrote:
I use 150 watt Mh on my 40 breeder and to be honest I wouldn't go with anything less. not sure why some people here think 70 watt Mh is plenty.
as far as heat get yourself a small clip on fan from walmart they work really well.

thanks!!! i knew for sure that a 70w wouldnt be enough...but my tank isnt a 40 breeder
yeah but im goin a diff rout now! i still have the tank and light but my space doesnt allow for that size tank....but i still got somthin up my sleeve;)!

just be watchin me
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ALL EXPERIENCED SW PPL's HELP!! 70W MH on a 40g????   ALL EXPERIENCED SW PPL's  HELP!! 70W MH on a 40g???? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ALL EXPERIENCED SW PPL's HELP!! 70W MH on a 40g????
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
UsaFishBox :: :: SaltWater Aquaria :: General Saltwater Disc.-
Jump to: