UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

painting the back of a tank

Go down 
+6
unknown
TangTango
Ashley
istrober
BFinley
alkomist
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

Favorite Fish: :

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

painting the back of a tank Empty
PostSubject: painting the back of a tank   painting the back of a tank Icon_minitime9/8/2010, 12:43 pm

i want to know if theirs any other paint besides spray paint that i can use to paint the back of my 100g! im goint to be adding my sump real soon and with the clear backround i dont want the tank thrown off by all the tubing in the back
also i ask this becuz (if i can use regular paint) ill drain my tank bout 1/2 way slide it over and paint it in side my house lol i cant empty the tank cuz all the fish and sand.....theirs nowere to put it!

would i be able to use rgular house paint?
or
wood paint since its thick i think would cover the glass nicely!
PLZ any help and suggestions would be appreciated:)

Thanx
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

PostSubject: Re: painting the back of a tank   painting the back of a tank Icon_minitime9/8/2010, 12:54 pm

I used interior wall paint on one of my tanks,but you have to paint the tank 2 or 3 times for it to look good,but it worked for me.
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

PostSubject: Re: painting the back of a tank   painting the back of a tank Icon_minitime9/8/2010, 12:59 pm

You can use water based latex paint, glossy it will be better tho, good luck and post some pics when your done!! painting the back of a tank 393849
Back to top Go down
Ashley
Private
Private

Favorite Fish: : Freshwater stingrays

PostSubject: Re: painting the back of a tank   painting the back of a tank Icon_minitime9/8/2010, 1:01 pm

Why not spray paint? We used it on all of our tanks and it looks awesome! And way less work
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

PostSubject: Re: painting the back of a tank   painting the back of a tank Icon_minitime9/8/2010, 1:03 pm

Spray paint it may work too but i think wall paint it will last a last longer, its my opinion tho, good point!! lol!
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: painting the back of a tank   painting the back of a tank Icon_minitime9/8/2010, 1:09 pm

lol i know about spray paint!!! its alot faster and easier!!!
but my tank will still kind of be running as im painting it!!
im not goin to tare the tank down to paint it!
i have nowere to place my fish for the mean time!!
i dont want the spray paint and the smell lingering for another 2 days inside my house
its bad for my baby girl lol
thats why i asked about house paint n stuff....so yea

so i can use regular paint??
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

PostSubject: Re: painting the back of a tank   painting the back of a tank Icon_minitime9/8/2010, 1:10 pm

I used wall paint because I had repainted my son's room so I just used that paint instead of buying more paint.I used my lowes gift card I got for xmas.So I didn't spend any of my money. lol! $$$
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: painting the back of a tank   painting the back of a tank Icon_minitime9/8/2010, 1:13 pm

nice!!
thanks for the help:)
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

PostSubject: Re: painting the back of a tank   painting the back of a tank Icon_minitime9/8/2010, 1:14 pm

lol so you wanna do regular paint, just make sure it is water paint, glossy is just an option
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: painting the back of a tank   painting the back of a tank Icon_minitime9/8/2010, 1:21 pm

koo thanks:)
Back to top Go down
TangTango
Private
Private
TangTango

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa, Gibberosa, Calvus

PostSubject: Re: painting the back of a tank   painting the back of a tank Icon_minitime9/8/2010, 2:04 pm

I used latex paint to paint about seven tanks.
Just make sure the glass is real clean and free from oil.
If ya ever want to remove it, spray paint is a pain in the @$$ to get off where
latex will scrape right off in big pieces.
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: painting the back of a tank   painting the back of a tank Icon_minitime9/8/2010, 2:07 pm

yes spray paint is a pain in the @$$ to remove
so Latex paint it is:)
Back to top Go down
unknown
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
unknown

Favorite Fish: : You mean I gotta have a favorite??

PostSubject: Re: painting the back of a tank   painting the back of a tank Icon_minitime9/8/2010, 4:26 pm

I had ALOT of craft paints that I have accumulated, so instead of buying I used what I had. It took several coats, but I could run the foam brush along the back wall of the tank while still filled with water and fish. I used a white as a base and then different blues to create a skylike effect. Turned out cool looking and used up some of the paint. We even got creative on the empty tanks and drew different scenes on the back. One tank I used silver as a base and then painted over with white. Figured it would look good to bring out the silvery sheen in some fish. Craft paint is less than 75 cens for a bottle. Mrs. Unknown
Back to top Go down
Paintguy
Private
Private
Paintguy

Favorite Fish: : Salmon with a twist of lemon.

PostSubject: Re: painting the back of a tank   painting the back of a tank Icon_minitime9/8/2010, 7:45 pm

I just made the back of my new tank black with black vinyl. That way if my kids scratch up the front I can still easily remove it and turn the tank around. Probably get it really cheap at any sign shop.
Back to top Go down
lgsasquatch
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
lgsasquatch

Favorite Fish: : All i can afford

PostSubject: Re: painting the back of a tank   painting the back of a tank Icon_minitime9/8/2010, 8:03 pm

Paintguy wrote:
I just made the back of my new tank black with black vinyl. That way if my kids scratch up the front I can still easily remove it and turn the tank around. Probably get it really cheap at any sign shop.

Agreed. Vinyl would be the way to go. No paint fumes. And it looks really nice when done.
Back to top Go down
mike205
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
mike205

Favorite Fish: : peacocks and koi

PostSubject: Re: painting the back of a tank   painting the back of a tank Icon_minitime9/8/2010, 8:16 pm

window tint thats what i use you can buy it from lowes or home depot its real easy
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: painting the back of a tank   painting the back of a tank Icon_minitime9/9/2010, 8:13 am

ok but how much does black vynle and window tint cost?
Back to top Go down
lgsasquatch
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
lgsasquatch

PostSubject: Re: painting the back of a tank   painting the back of a tank Icon_minitime9/9/2010, 9:28 am

Window tint at wap mart is around $10 or $12 a roll. 1 roll should be enough to cover the back of the tank. I would use the 2.5% it is the darkest sap mart carries. But there isn't a wap mart in California. I know there is a same's club on I 10 in Ontario, witch is right down the street from you. But either vinyl or tint is kind of a pain if you have never done it be4.
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: painting the back of a tank   painting the back of a tank Icon_minitime9/9/2010, 9:41 am

Wap mart??? what that is?? or do you mwan WallMart?
and yes their is a Sams Club down the street.......how do you know that??? your in TX!!! STALKER!!!!!!!
my tank is 5ft long by 23" high, by 18" deep
you think theyll have a roll at sams club big enough for my tank??
Back to top Go down
lgsasquatch
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
lgsasquatch

PostSubject: Re: painting the back of a tank   painting the back of a tank Icon_minitime9/9/2010, 10:18 am

Yes I ment wall mart. I am a truck driver, I have spent some time on the road and have been to the sam's club in Ontario plenty of times. Mainly because I didn't want to pay for parking at either ta truck stops in Ontario.
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: painting the back of a tank   painting the back of a tank Icon_minitime9/9/2010, 10:39 am

LOL wow Small world!!!!!!!!!
what you drive a peterbuilt?? i work for a company called Biagi Bros! maybe youve seen a cpl of our trucks on the road! were mostly Petes!
thats funny! you Wanna Stay away from the TA truck stops here!! Lot Lizards EVERYWERE ;) dirty!
and yes we have Wall Marts Like Crazy here in Cali!
what department do they sell it at?
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

Favorite Fish: : Love my black ocellaris!

PostSubject: Re: painting the back of a tank   painting the back of a tank Icon_minitime9/9/2010, 11:35 am

lol! Lot lizards!!! I tell my hubby all the time to watch out that one didn't sneak a ride home with a driver. He is a rig mechanic for a large trucking company.
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: painting the back of a tank   painting the back of a tank Icon_minitime9/9/2010, 12:01 pm

so am i kinda!! lol
i mainly work in my office!!! but when im not on the box im out playin mechanic:)
yea them Lot Lizards are all over the TA!!!! painting the back of a tank Lol
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

Favorite Fish: : Love my black ocellaris!

PostSubject: Re: painting the back of a tank   painting the back of a tank Icon_minitime9/9/2010, 12:26 pm

LOL one of the drivers went out to the lot to bring one in for service last week and a female driver sat up on the edge of her bunk with just a short tshirt on. Ummmm...he was shocked!
Back to top Go down
lgsasquatch
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
lgsasquatch

PostSubject: Re: painting the back of a tank   painting the back of a tank Icon_minitime9/9/2010, 12:29 pm

There all over every truck stop. Lol I am currently driving a 2010 Pete.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: painting the back of a tank   painting the back of a tank Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

painting the back of a tank
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next