UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Any dog gurus in the house?

Go down 
+3
elfwolfe
pillierox1
Jeepluv77
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Jeepluv77
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Jeepluv77

Favorite Fish: : Species I've kept: Freshwater- Dwarf puffers and clown loaches. Saltwater- Volitans and Snowflake Moray

Species I'd love to keep one day- Freshwater- Rays. Saltwater- Bamboo/Cat Sharks

Any dog gurus in the house? Empty
PostSubject: Any dog gurus in the house?   Any dog gurus in the house? Icon_minitime9/1/2010, 9:07 pm

I've got so many issues going on with my dogs. If anyone is up for helping me sort things out and figure out where to begin on training please let me know. Professional training is not an option unless I can some of my foster animals rehomed which hasn't been going well. I've found one acceptable home in 4 months. Biggest issues are the puppies(a 6 month old pitmix, seems to have a lot of some kind of hound; and a 9 week old pitbull puppy). I've always adopted my dogs as adults so these two are giving me a run for my money. My male corgi/lab turns out to be not so much outright aggressive. Appears that he's just being super protective over me and dominant over the other dogs. He's great with the other critters. The puppies simply don't know boundries and he has low patience with them.

PM me if you'd like. I'm willing to even give you my number if you can help me sort it all out. Mainly hyperactivity with the 6 month old. She's prone to the crazies and chews everything to shreds, including furniture. The 9 week old puppy absolutely will not use the bathroom outside or on the puppy pads/newspaper and is a horrible play biter. You can't even pet her for more than a couple minutes before she starts biting and she attacks toes if you try to walk in sandals or barefoot. I do know her former owner took them from the mother as soon as they weaned at 5 weeks so she missed some vital lessons there. She's really smart though(already responds to her name, and the "no", "sit", and "come here" commands though she's not totally reliable yet. Both are working on "sit to greet" with very slow progress.

Last edited by Jeepluv77 on 9/1/2010, 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

Favorite Fish: : okay i dont know wat my fav anymore just want more lol

PostSubject: Re: Any dog gurus in the house?   Any dog gurus in the house? Icon_minitime9/1/2010, 9:12 pm

well he is telling wat is not right hes training them really. its best to let the puppies to learn from an older dog. i normally toss my horse in a group of babies colts and fillies wen they get weaned. he will let them kick me or bite me, he trains them to behave round humans but my horse get very mad wen a horse does something that hurts me lol. so wat i do is i let things sort out and they become better animals and plus its good that the puppies r low in the totem pole they wont try to over power u, keep urself high as in dominate the dominant dog in the group. ive tried to do it with my bfs dog but my bf is to passive lets her get away with things so always hav everyone help not just u or it will fall apart on u.
Back to top Go down
Jeepluv77
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Jeepluv77

Favorite Fish: : Species I've kept: Freshwater- Dwarf puffers and clown loaches. Saltwater- Volitans and Snowflake Moray

Species I'd love to keep one day- Freshwater- Rays. Saltwater- Bamboo/Cat Sharks

PostSubject: Re: Any dog gurus in the house?   Any dog gurus in the house? Icon_minitime9/1/2010, 9:26 pm

He's not just aggressive towards them, pillie. He's the same way with humans. The main clue that it's protection over me is that he's wayyyy worse when I'm near by than if I'm across the room or yard. I already do dominance practices with him. I do it with the 6 month old, too, though with her it's just because she's so rambunctous she's a hazard. She's got to learn self control. They have to sit before I'll put their food on the ground and if they get up I take it away. They also have to wait for permission to go out the door. If they run out before me they're sent back in while I play outside with whoever didn't run out in front. Jack's very good with it. I can set his bowl on the floor and walk away. For over an hour(I forgot to release him once. He paced between me and the bowl and laid down staring at it for that long before I realized why he was upset.) The only way I can get him to stop growling at visitors and neighbors is to send him to his crate or the porch(depending on whether we are inside or outside). He goes the first time he's told(he never, ever challenges me for power) but I hate that my dog can't be more involved with my life outside of being here alone. I even have to have a vet come to the house and he has to muzzled for his exams because he cannot be trusted. He'll have to be sedated to get his nails cut. I let him have at it with the pups, while I'm here to supervise of course, to help them learn their boundries. The pups are both crated while I'm gone for their own safety. Jack is the self appointed "guard dog" for the house, spending his whole entire day every day laying by a window or door listening to what's going on outside. If he hears something he'll go to the door and "point". If I don't respond he'll let out one quick bark to get my attention. He then stands by and waits for my cue. If I deem it worth looking into(or just want to let him enjoy himself "working") I'll let him outside. He stands on the porch, watching and waiting. I then tell him either "what's there"(he'll look around faster) or "go get it"(he'll walk the perimeter of the fence looking outward). He taught himself all of this on his own. He really is an incredible dog. My biggest fear is that he'll bite someone one day and the city will make me put him down.
Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

Favorite Fish: : okay i dont know wat my fav anymore just want more lol

PostSubject: Re: Any dog gurus in the house?   Any dog gurus in the house? Icon_minitime9/1/2010, 9:33 pm

have u ever watched its me or the dog it actually has really good points in helping aggression to other ppl. i watch it all the time lol. if u havent i can give u wat she does maybe it will work for u but im not sur at all it works on my little dog wen she pulls on the leash at she does it may help u.
Back to top Go down
elfwolfe
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
elfwolfe

Favorite Fish: : graduating from community fish to aggressive fish (cichlids), but will always have a soft spot for my krbs and betta's.

PostSubject: Re: Any dog gurus in the house?   Any dog gurus in the house? Icon_minitime9/1/2010, 9:55 pm

dog???? Someone said DOG?!?!?! LOL. umm... did you see my avatar? that should give a slight hint that I MUST be CRAZY cause my house is owned by 6 (yes, that is SIX) dogs, 3 cats, 3 ferrets and 475 gallons of fishtanks! Oh, and lets not forget about the 2 kids and a husband...... I have also fostered dogs...you have no idea how hard it is NOT to mentio my dogs on here, lol...
PM me with your number and I would be more than happy to talk dogs with you and try to help your situation!

the pitbull was a foster (I successfully rehomed her)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

and the reason I have two more (this little one I kept, and her sister was returned, thats how I have 6 dogs, lol... they are now 17 months old)
Back to top Go down
elfwolfe
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
elfwolfe

Favorite Fish: : graduating from community fish to aggressive fish (cichlids), but will always have a soft spot for my krbs and betta's.

PostSubject: Re: Any dog gurus in the house?   Any dog gurus in the house? Icon_minitime9/1/2010, 9:58 pm

sorry, I get a bit pic happy when I talk dogs, lol
Back to top Go down
Jeepluv77
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Jeepluv77

PostSubject: Re: Any dog gurus in the house?   Any dog gurus in the house? Icon_minitime9/2/2010, 12:04 am

Sounds awesome to me! I know Jack will never be a model dog but it'd be nice if he was a little more polite. Stella and Ivy are still young enough to be taught model behavior. I'm just not used to working with multiple young energetic dogs.
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

PostSubject: Re: Any dog gurus in the house?   Any dog gurus in the house? Icon_minitime9/2/2010, 5:58 am

lol we got to call the dog whisperer lol jk, i really hope you can get it to be good!! Any dog gurus in the house? 393849
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

Favorite Fish: : Love my black ocellaris!

PostSubject: Re: Any dog gurus in the house?   Any dog gurus in the house? Icon_minitime9/2/2010, 7:21 am

My username stems from my boxers...they do the kidney bean dance when happy!

I would keep up with the training that you have started. Waiting for food, to go outside, etc. You could research online NILF (nothing in life is free) since that is what you have already started to do.

Personally though I don't think I would allow your older dog to be aggressive at all with the younger ones. It could lead to further issues down the road when they get bigger.
Back to top Go down
razzbuten
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : Ones that taste the best...prefer them to be raw

PostSubject: Re: Any dog gurus in the house?   Any dog gurus in the house? Icon_minitime9/2/2010, 9:02 am

wildbeanerz wrote:
My username stems from my boxers...they do the kidney bean dance when happy!

I would keep up with the training that you have started. Waiting for food, to go outside, etc. You could research online NILF (nothing in life is free) since that is what you have already started to do.

Personally though I don't think I would allow your older dog to be aggressive at all with the younger ones. It could lead to further issues down the road when they get bigger.

All I will say, and if you want to further the conversation you can contact me is this...You better be the pack leader and train the dogs the way you want them trained. Leaving it to the alpha dog will make for a tough road. Will the pup obey you or it? When the adult dog enforces your wishes thats fine, but as a pup you want that lil critter to think of you as the alpha.

I have 4 Boxers...They are all 4 NUTS...

Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

PostSubject: Re: Any dog gurus in the house?   Any dog gurus in the house? Icon_minitime9/2/2010, 9:11 am

Exactly. I don't think the allowing of the older dog to train the pups is a good idea either. Maybe I didn't get that across the first time.

Any dog gurus in the house? 858205
Back to top Go down
Jeepluv77
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Jeepluv77

PostSubject: Re: Any dog gurus in the house?   Any dog gurus in the house? Icon_minitime9/2/2010, 10:37 am

Istrober, I've tried that and I have a copy of his latest magazine here! All three of these dogs are rescues. All have their unique stories. However, Stella and Ivy both have the complication of having been pulled from their mothers at 5 weeks old when they weaned. Neither got the opportunity to learn appropriate manners. Jack is a benevolent alpha dog that knows his place below the real alpha(me). For example, I just fed them. Ivy attempted to take his food. He started to protest, looked at me, and stopped. Because he knows I'll take it away if he starts that. He then calmly shared his food with her. Don't worry, she only got a bite of it. Since her growth was stunted by severe flea, roundworm, and giardia infestations I'm insistant on keeping her on a controlled growth puppy formula. She's gained three pounds in the past week(one pound the week before) since receiving her second dose of dewormer and being on treatment for the giardia. Yes, I am taking precautions with the older dogs. They are all on K9 Advantix, Heartguard, and being dewormed weekly. The vets for the older dogs are aware of the giardia situation but have assured me that older dogs will generally fight if off on their own. We are prepared to go to medication, however metronidazole is used so we're holding off because of the risk for antibiotic resistance later. Jack isn't some maniacal dog attacking on sight. He's teaching them boundries when they get out of line. I've been cleared by both his vet and a trainer(he's got one, it's just Stella and Ivy that don't) to do so under supervision. Both have observed him here at home interacting with them. I'd like to get rid of his trainer, though. Partly the cost, yes, because the vet bills are getting high. More importantly, though, because he's saying it's my PTSD that's causing Jacks over-protection(he's been with me for years except a gap when my ex took him) and for me to go on medication. I'm coping fine and clear to be off medication which is nothing more than a bandaid to cover up the real issues. We all know a dog's response to something is conditioned and he needs to learn to tone it down a bit. I'll never be rid of the PTSD but I'm learning to cope and, unfortunately, he's going to have to as well. Hence the desire to get rid of the trainer. I don't believe in bandaid "fixes" for problems. What happens when that "fix" isn't there one day? In the end, it's always best to learn to regulate behavior and responses to situations because you aren't going to make the situations go away when it gets rough either.
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

PostSubject: Re: Any dog gurus in the house?   Any dog gurus in the house? Icon_minitime9/2/2010, 11:28 am

Just sayin'....I don't like Cesar's methods. There is no reason to hold down a dog or anything else like that.
Back to top Go down
Shaysfishys
Captain
Captain
Shaysfishys

Favorite Fish: : Just about all of them!!

PostSubject: Re: Any dog gurus in the house?   Any dog gurus in the house? Icon_minitime9/2/2010, 11:58 am

I'm not a dog guru but my Sis is awesome, she does public broadcast shows, training sessions with large groups, does rescues, etc... if you'd like I can give you her FB info to get in contact

Now if it was horses that I can do
Back to top Go down
Jeepluv77
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Jeepluv77

PostSubject: Re: Any dog gurus in the house?   Any dog gurus in the house? Icon_minitime9/5/2010, 12:09 pm

Sorry, Shay. Just saw this. I lucked out and found an awesome trainer at Petco of all places. He was a military dog trainer for 30 years including training them to jump out of planes with paratroopers willingly! I took Stella(the very very shy 6 month old) in to see him yesterday. It was awesome. He didn't charge me a dime and spent about a half hour with her getting her to let down her gaurd a bit. She went in with her tail tucked. By the time we left, she still had it down but not tucked and had even given us a couple wags. The whole staff there is fantastic and, really, they all helped with her. We started out in the sectioned apart training area and then walked the store a few times. She still has a way to go but we got off to a fantastic start yesterday. He's also going to train Jack. I told him I didn't really trust Jack in public and he said not to worry about it. He specializes in aggressive(or overly proctective as this case seems to be) dogs. Also, he looked at the rash Stella's been developing that Jack has had for some time. Turns out both of them are allergic to grass. He said it's definately a contact dermatitis and, after much narrowing down, grass is the only plausible cuprit we could find. Mine has gone to seed since I haven't been able to cut it in awhile. He gave me a shampoo for it that smells like a freshly paved road but if it works I'm happy. I'll keep you posted on their progress.
Back to top Go down
elfwolfe
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
elfwolfe

PostSubject: Re: Any dog gurus in the house?   Any dog gurus in the house? Icon_minitime9/5/2010, 12:18 pm

That is awesome to hear!! Deffinately keep us posted! Go ahead and still send me that info if you would, its always better to have two heads tackling a problem than one!
Back to top Go down
Jeepluv77
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Jeepluv77

PostSubject: Re: Any dog gurus in the house?   Any dog gurus in the house? Icon_minitime9/5/2010, 12:32 pm

Will do! Sorry I hadn't gotten around to it. I've been working nonstop and sleeping/resting about two hours a night the past several days. Can't wait till next payday so maybe I can stop working again. I deliver pizzas for my friend's store but only go in when I need the money. Allows me to not have a set obligation elsewhere while I'm managing everything on my own here.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any dog gurus in the house?   Any dog gurus in the house? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Any dog gurus in the house?
Page 1 of 1