UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Any interest??

Go down 
    5 posters
    AuthorMessage
    Raschael
    Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
    Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
    Raschael

Any interest?? Empty
    PostSubject: Any interest??   Any interest?? Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 11:31 pm

Would anyone be interested in 6, 2"-3" karema frontosa?? We got them from Jojo, but need to move them so we can move our mbuna into the 75g so the 125g is freed up. Anyone???
    Back to top Go down
    TangTango
    Private
    Private
    TangTango

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa, Gibberosa, Calvus

Any interest?? Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Any interest??   Any interest?? Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 11:41 pm

First I just want to point out that Karema is a Gibberosa not a Frontosa.
    I know, They will always be Fronts to me too.

Anyways, I'm always interest'd in Gibs but your a long ways from me.
    What are ya want'n for them?
    I already have some Mpimbwes from JoJo but I'd like to have some Karemas too.
    Back to top Go down
    KMX
    Admin
    Admin
    KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

Any interest?? Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Any interest??   Any interest?? Icon_minitime8/28/2010, 8:06 am

Cyphotilapia covers three species that were previously covered under Frontosa. They are Frontosa, Gibberosa and C. sp. "North".

gibberosa is the new species name for the southern varients of frontosa. Much like any species from the Zambian coastline, southern tanzanian coastline, and the southern Zaire coastline. Things like zaire blue, moba, nangu, nsumbu, ikola, kipili, and mpimbwe, bismark, samazi are all identified as C.gibberosa. They were different enough than the northern varients to recently warrant a separate species name. So technically the Zaires and such are no longer frontosa.
    frontosa is belongs to Cyphotilapia because of the hump on the forehead and the broad vertical bands on the body (these bands are not visible in large males). Frontosa is to include the 7 stripe variety collected in kigoma and surrounding area. Other differences between Frontosa and Gibberosa are, C. frontosa, in having three scale rows between the upper and the lower lateral line (versus two rows). C. gibberosa has a greater number of scales in the longitudinal line (34-36 versus 33-34); fewer outer teeth on the upper jaw (31-52 versus 39-62); higher body (43,3-51,2 versus 38,2-46,5 %SL); longer predorsal (37,5-44,9 versus 37,1-42,7 %SL); longer dorsal fin base (57,1-64,6 %SL versus 53,8-60,9 %SL) and longer pectoral fin (36,0-47,2 versus 31,3-41,7 %SL).

C. sp. "North" would include the Burundi, Kavala and Karilani.

With all that being said. I would not put her in the wrong for calling them a Frontosa. But if you want to get techenical yes sir it's a Gib.
    Back to top Go down
    khrister
    USA Fishbox Sponsor
    khrister

Favorite Fish: :
    Cyphotilapia
    Cyprichromis
    Mbunas
    Fancy PL*CO

Any interest?? Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Any interest??   Any interest?? Icon_minitime8/28/2010, 8:16 am

When that Japanese dude got bored and counted the scales along the lateral lines on the cyphos, it made reclassifying them confusing.

After the reclassification, only fish with 7 stripes collected in Kigoma area are called Frontosa,

So Kory is right, there are 3 species now. Gibbs, Fronts and Sp. North i.e burundi types. But for other people they are just plainly Frontosa, which at one point they all are.

thread jacked

Now buy those juvies so Raschael can in turn pickup the Wild Caught Adults from me lol!
    Back to top Go down
    BFinley
    Admin
    Admin
    BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

Any interest?? Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Any interest??   Any interest?? Icon_minitime8/28/2010, 9:19 am

How much would you want for them?
    Back to top Go down
    Raschael
    Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
    Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
    Raschael

Any interest?? Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Any interest??   Any interest?? Icon_minitime8/28/2010, 10:01 am

Geez. . . just trying to find some beautiful fish a new home. . . I can't keep up with all this "reclassification" stuff. . . so

Anyone want some karema gibberosa?? ;) I honestly am not sure what to ask for them. I just really want them in a good home, but don't want to "give"' them away either. sick
    Back to top Go down
    TangTango
    Private
    Private
    TangTango

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa, Gibberosa, Calvus

Any interest?? Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Any interest??   Any interest?? Icon_minitime8/28/2010, 10:39 am

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone with that comment.
    If ya read the second sentence in my post it says:

"They will always be Fronts to me too!"
    Back to top Go down
    Raschael
    Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
    Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
    Raschael

Any interest?? Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Any interest??   Any interest?? Icon_minitime8/28/2010, 10:42 am

It's okay. . . I was just joking around, no offense taken here. Any interest?? 772341
    Back to top Go down
    Sponsored content

Any interest?? Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Any interest??   Any interest?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Any interest??
    Page 1 of 1