UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Aulonocara flavescent gotta love them

Go down 
+3
istrober
KMX
jcsmit7
7 posters
AuthorMessage
jcsmit7
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
jcsmit7

Favorite Fish: : african cichlids

Aulonocara flavescent  gotta love them Empty
PostSubject: Aulonocara flavescent gotta love them   Aulonocara flavescent  gotta love them Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 10:00 pm

had a bit of a suprise in my 90 gallon aquarium this morning the lone female Aulonocara flavescent is holding. wondering if i am going to have better luck with the peacock then i had with the electric blue's breeding.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Aulonocara flavescent gotta love them   Aulonocara flavescent  gotta love them Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 10:18 pm

Congrats!

How old is she and how many time has she held before?
Back to top Go down
jcsmit7
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
jcsmit7

PostSubject: Re: Aulonocara flavescent gotta love them   Aulonocara flavescent  gotta love them Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 11:16 pm

first time holding got them about 6 months ago, the males are all colored up.
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

PostSubject: Re: Aulonocara flavescent gotta love them   Aulonocara flavescent  gotta love them Icon_minitime8/28/2010, 6:23 am

Nice! i hope to see some fry pics soon!! cheers
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Aulonocara flavescent gotta love them   Aulonocara flavescent  gotta love them Icon_minitime8/28/2010, 8:25 am

With it being her 1st time and she is very young don't be surprised if she only holds for a few days and you lose them. Don't get discouraged either. Soon enough they will produce lot's!
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

PostSubject: Re: Aulonocara flavescent gotta love them   Aulonocara flavescent  gotta love them Icon_minitime8/28/2010, 9:27 am

Congratz!!!Show us some pics when you get a chance!
Back to top Go down
jcsmit7
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
jcsmit7

PostSubject: Re: Aulonocara flavescent gotta love them   Aulonocara flavescent  gotta love them Icon_minitime9/15/2010, 6:29 pm

should i attempt to strip the little ones from the mother or just segregate her in a breeding box for fish that allows the fry to get to safety after being released?
Back to top Go down
sal
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
sal

Favorite Fish: : All Cichlids.

PostSubject: Re: Aulonocara flavescent gotta love them   Aulonocara flavescent  gotta love them Icon_minitime9/16/2010, 12:23 am

unless you have a tumbler they probably wont get to wigglers or free swimmers. i have the same problem with all my young aulonocara the first time they hold for 2-3 days. once they start they will hold often usually after a big w/c. good luck and i hope you have better luck than me on the young fish.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Aulonocara flavescent gotta love them   Aulonocara flavescent  gotta love them Icon_minitime9/16/2010, 5:23 pm

If you can move her into a 10g with a sponge filter. Use water from the tank she is in now to fill it.
Do not strip her. Trust me its best to let them learn to hold to term on their own. Better quality fry and less work for you!
Back to top Go down
jcsmit7
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
jcsmit7

PostSubject: Re: Aulonocara flavescent gotta love them   Aulonocara flavescent  gotta love them Icon_minitime9/16/2010, 6:37 pm

i have my 10 gallon tank that is my hosptial/quarintinet tank or one of the lees breeder cages that stay in the tank. its been a couple of weeks and she hasn't spit them yet. kinda hesitant to move her due to past experience with electric blues and trying to move the female that was holding, it would always spit them out.
Back to top Go down
sal
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
sal

Favorite Fish: : All Cichlids.

PostSubject: Re: Aulonocara flavescent gotta love them   Aulonocara flavescent  gotta love them Icon_minitime9/16/2010, 9:25 pm

i strongly recomend letting her be. as she matures her maternal instincts will grow and that will make her easier to move around.
Back to top Go down
jcsmit7
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
jcsmit7

PostSubject: Re: Aulonocara flavescent gotta love them   Aulonocara flavescent  gotta love them Icon_minitime9/25/2010, 3:43 pm

its hard to watch college football while trying to get the little fry out of this tank lol, been waiting to see if the one that was holding would start spitting before seperating her.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Aulonocara flavescent gotta love them   Aulonocara flavescent  gotta love them Icon_minitime9/25/2010, 3:59 pm

And that's why you move them. Moving one adult female is a whole lot easier than chasing tons of fry in a big tank......
Back to top Go down
jcsmit7
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
jcsmit7

PostSubject: Re: Aulonocara flavescent gotta love them   Aulonocara flavescent  gotta love them Icon_minitime9/25/2010, 4:04 pm

its her first time holding didn't want her spitting when trying to seperate her, had that happen with the electric blue's when i had them breeding.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Aulonocara flavescent gotta love them   Aulonocara flavescent  gotta love them Icon_minitime9/25/2010, 4:08 pm

Once they get used to the net they seem to be ok with it. My moorii girls hardly even run from the net anymore.
Back to top Go down
jcsmit7
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
jcsmit7

PostSubject: Re: Aulonocara flavescent gotta love them   Aulonocara flavescent  gotta love them Icon_minitime9/25/2010, 5:36 pm

tried to seperate the other one that was holding, she spit all the eggs, think i will just catch them out after the fact lol
Back to top Go down
PeacockLove
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Aulonocara flavescent gotta love them   Aulonocara flavescent  gotta love them Icon_minitime9/25/2010, 6:50 pm

Sounds like it's time for a tumbler. I made mine myself after buyng a holding female peacock.
Back to top Go down
mike205
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
mike205

Favorite Fish: : peacocks and koi

PostSubject: Re: Aulonocara flavescent gotta love them   Aulonocara flavescent  gotta love them Icon_minitime9/25/2010, 9:08 pm

tumbler if you have to i rather them be hatched naturally they seem to grow better
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Aulonocara flavescent gotta love them   Aulonocara flavescent  gotta love them Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Aulonocara flavescent gotta love them
Page 1 of 1