UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Poopathon...problem?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
dizzygood
Private
Private

Poopathon...problem? Empty
PostSubject: Poopathon...problem?   Poopathon...problem? Icon_minitime8/22/2010, 7:39 pm

In my 32 gal. community tank almost every fish is pooping tons more than usual. It started yesterday. I changed more than 1/3 water today. They are still pooping like elephants. I may have started feeding a bit more but not tons more. The only other change is that I broke up an algae tablet every other day recently and let it float to the bottom. I have a pregnant molly that had 3 (or more, some may've been eaten) fry a few days ago and looked ready to pop some more but, instead, last night I watched her poop over and over again. The rest of the tank is: 3 mollies, 3 tuxedo swordtails, 6 white clouds, 1 hi-fin platty, 4 neon dwarf rainbow fish, 1 black-skirt tetra, 2 baby albino bushy-nosed plecos.

Thanks for any advice from experienced poopathoners.

Donna
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Poopathon...problem?   Poopathon...problem? Icon_minitime8/22/2010, 7:51 pm

For starters that's quite a hodge podge of fish in there but that can be dealt with later.
Is the poop whitish and stringy?
Have you changed anything lately? food, water conditioners, decor?

Feed them a few shelled raw peas tomorrow and nothing else, it will help clean out their intestines yes they will poop more but if its a digestive issue it should help clear it up.
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

PostSubject: Re: Poopathon...problem?   Poopathon...problem? Icon_minitime8/22/2010, 8:01 pm

Poopathon...problem? 858205
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Poopathon...problem?   Poopathon...problem? Icon_minitime8/22/2010, 8:16 pm

shelled peas are the way to go.
Back to top Go down
dizzygood
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Poopathon...problem?   Poopathon...problem? Icon_minitime8/22/2010, 8:20 pm

The poop is the usual healthy looking dark string. The only thing I've changed lately was adding the algae tablets.

I know this sounds ridiculous, but here in Southern California they rarely have raw peas in the shell. I love the English peas but I don't think they're available here now. So my choices would be shelled raw sugar snap peas or frozen peas.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Poopathon...problem?   Poopathon...problem? Icon_minitime8/23/2010, 8:08 am

Frozen raw peas are just fine, they are what I use. Thaw them and pop the shell off and toss them in the tank.
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

PostSubject: Re: Poopathon...problem?   Poopathon...problem? Icon_minitime8/23/2010, 8:16 am

Poopathon...problem? 858205 Poopathon...problem? 393849
Back to top Go down
typicaltony
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Poopathon...problem?   Poopathon...problem? Icon_minitime8/23/2010, 3:20 pm

Just cut down the feeding, seems normal to me.. as long as its not stringy white poop or no poop at all. Also probably generic food that's why there are so much waste...
Back to top Go down
dizzygood
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Poopathon...problem?   Poopathon...problem? Icon_minitime8/23/2010, 5:03 pm

The poopathon seems to have ended but I did notice one fish trailing orange poop today. Is this a bad sign?

Donna
New aquarist, er, addict, about to get a 6th tank
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Poopathon...problem?   Poopathon...problem? Icon_minitime8/23/2010, 5:06 pm

what brand of food do you feed?
Back to top Go down
dizzygood
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Poopathon...problem?   Poopathon...problem? Icon_minitime8/23/2010, 9:05 pm

I am feeding Tetra Tropical Flakes and have occasionaly supplecmented with dried brine shrimp and blood worms, as well as algae tablets.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Poopathon...problem?   Poopathon...problem? Icon_minitime8/24/2010, 5:40 pm

Ok that's a good diet for them. Tetra makes a quality flake. I just wanted to be sure you were feeding a good food and not some of the junk that's on the market. Personally I wouldn't worry too much but adding peas in as an occasional treat would be a good thing.

You should remove the 1 hi-fin platty and 1 black-skirt tetra and get the other guys up to schools of 5 or so, they will be much happier. Excluding the plecos, they are just fine at 2.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Poopathon...problem?   Poopathon...problem? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Poopathon...problem?
Page 1 of 1