UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

stubborn haze

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
rj
Private
Private

stubborn haze Empty
PostSubject: stubborn haze   stubborn haze Icon_minitime8/19/2010, 2:16 pm

just started up a 150 gal tank,freshwater,and cant seem to get rid of the lite haze still in the water. using emperor 400 and 280 plus a filter on the powerhead, added poly filter pads and extra carbon,its been 4 days and still a haze, any ideas out there?also used accu clear twice 3 days apart and still a haze!! thanks rj
Back to top Go down
Jeepluv77
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Jeepluv77

Favorite Fish: : Species I've kept: Freshwater- Dwarf puffers and clown loaches. Saltwater- Volitans and Snowflake Moray

Species I'd love to keep one day- Freshwater- Rays. Saltwater- Bamboo/Cat Sharks

stubborn haze Empty
PostSubject: Re: stubborn haze   stubborn haze Icon_minitime8/19/2010, 2:32 pm

That haze is normal. It's the beneficial bacteria colonizing the tank. It'll clear up on it's own in anywhere from a couple days to a few weeks. No point in trying to clear it up. If you want it to clear a little quicker you can add Biozyme. It comes ina freshwater and a saltwater type so make sure you grab the right one. It seems to not only cycle the tanks faster(read up on cycling if you aren't familiar with it) but to make it more stable in the long run, too. Do you already have fish in it? If so, what kind?
Back to top Go down
rj
Private
Private

stubborn haze Empty
PostSubject: Re: stubborn haze   stubborn haze Icon_minitime8/19/2010, 2:38 pm

do not have fish in it yet so the haze is not fish related it will be filled with neons and other assorted 1 inch type fish. i also have an established african tank and did not have this haze problem. icould understand some haze during cycling but with no fish im baffled! rj
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

stubborn haze Empty
PostSubject: Re: stubborn haze   stubborn haze Icon_minitime8/19/2010, 2:42 pm

Yeah i agree with Jeepluv, it will clear up with the days, what type of water are you using?, i learn that the less chemicals you put on the water the better it is. Local Fish Stores just want to rip money off!! lol..
Back to top Go down
Jeepluv77
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Jeepluv77

Favorite Fish: : Species I've kept: Freshwater- Dwarf puffers and clown loaches. Saltwater- Volitans and Snowflake Moray

Species I'd love to keep one day- Freshwater- Rays. Saltwater- Bamboo/Cat Sharks

stubborn haze Empty
PostSubject: Re: stubborn haze   stubborn haze Icon_minitime8/19/2010, 2:48 pm

It's not always fish related. Some tanks are worse than others with it. My betta bowl will sometimes haze within a day of changing it and other times stays crystal clear until the next change. It seems to be related to other factors. I've had tanks cycled with tiger barbs never haze and tanks cycled fallow start looking like someone poured milk in them over night. My guess it's the water supply(which is constantly changing even from the same source), temperatures, filters, pH etc. Just like fish are more susceptable to ammonia toxicity at higher temps and pH, I'd imagine bacteria may sythesize it at different rates under different conditions. You run any water tests yet? Another trick I used when I couldn't find Biozyme was to throw a handful of gravel from an established tank in to seed it. If the gravel doesn't match put it in a panty hose and hide it in the filter. Or, if you use refillable cartridges in the filter you can put some in there. However, you'd probably want to find another softwater tank as I'm guessing you're running the african tank at a higher pH/alk. Oh, I also wouldn't use any other "quick cycle" products besides the Biozyme. Most don't change the time any and are a waste of money. Some actually bind ammonia and can prolong the cycling process.
Back to top Go down
typicaltony
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

stubborn haze Empty
PostSubject: Re: stubborn haze   stubborn haze Icon_minitime8/19/2010, 2:57 pm

seems like you are also under-filtered... but that haze could be solved by dumping old medias from another tank to it to speed up the bacterial process..

It could take days to weeks for it to clear up since the tank is so big.
Back to top Go down
metrofish
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
metrofish

stubborn haze Empty
PostSubject: Re: stubborn haze   stubborn haze Icon_minitime8/19/2010, 5:29 pm

it's the water supply good luck.
Back to top Go down

stubborn haze Empty
PostSubject: Re: stubborn haze   stubborn haze Icon_minitime8/19/2010, 6:36 pm

Rinse your filter media from your African tank right into the new planted tank, that should add enough bacteria to go ahead and add 6 neons, give it 2 weeks and add 6 more.
You will need 2-3 times the filtration that you have now.

What substrate is in there? How many plants?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

stubborn haze Empty
PostSubject: Re: stubborn haze   stubborn haze Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

stubborn haze
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
UsaFishBox :: :: Freshwater Aquaria :: Plants and Planted Fish Tanks-
Jump to: