UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

55 gallon freshwater cross-section biotope?

Go down 
+2
calihawk
Jeepluv77
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Jeepluv77
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Jeepluv77

Favorite Fish: : Species I've kept: Freshwater- Dwarf puffers and clown loaches. Saltwater- Volitans and Snowflake Moray

Species I'd love to keep one day- Freshwater- Rays. Saltwater- Bamboo/Cat Sharks

55 gallon freshwater cross-section biotope? Empty
PostSubject: 55 gallon freshwater cross-section biotope?   55 gallon freshwater cross-section biotope? Icon_minitime8/11/2010, 6:46 pm

So, I think I've decided that I want to set my 55 gallon tank but up as a community tank instead of a species thank. However, I want to take it a bit further than that. Ideally, and I'll have to do some research here, but I'd like to create a biotope of a shoreline. More or less it would be set up like a frog/turtle tank with a shore at one end sloping down into the water. I want to make it as realistic as possible. I may put the turtle in there, too, although I'd rather do frogs or newts. And of course a couple schools of fish native to the area I'd be trying to display. Has anyone here done this? Any idea if it's even possible? I want this tank to have the full 9. Some type of frog/turtle/newt that comes up on the land, fish in the pond area, and lots of plants both in the water and out. I really want it to look like I took a slice from a river or pond from the banks into the water and put it in a tank. Any idea where to start?
Back to top Go down
calihawk
Private First Class
Private First Class
calihawk

PostSubject: Re: 55 gallon freshwater cross-section biotope?   55 gallon freshwater cross-section biotope? Icon_minitime8/11/2010, 7:29 pm

Hmmmmm...you know what would be cool too is if you can seal a section of the bottom and make it into an ant farm as if the ants live under the ground under the water whatever. Or maybe I'll have an antfarm behind my tank as a background hmmmm
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 55 gallon freshwater cross-section biotope?   55 gallon freshwater cross-section biotope? Icon_minitime8/11/2010, 7:53 pm

The easiest way to create something like that would be to collect it all yourself and do a local flora fauna tank. A 40g breeder tank would be easier to crate it in, theres more floor space and its shallower, so in the end your water area would be larger. With a 40 breeder you wouldn't have to worry so much about the structure of the shore, less slope than a 55g!
If you collect it all locally then you know its all from the same region, yes you will get a few invasive's but if you look them up I think it could work. You may have to purchase your newts and such, or you could collect a few tadpoles and go with frogs?
The good thing about a native tank is if it gets too big or aggressive you CAN let it go without causing damage.
I bet if you look up your local fish and wildlife you can get a list with pics and info on all of the natives.
Back to top Go down
Jeepluv77
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Jeepluv77

Favorite Fish: : Species I've kept: Freshwater- Dwarf puffers and clown loaches. Saltwater- Volitans and Snowflake Moray

Species I'd love to keep one day- Freshwater- Rays. Saltwater- Bamboo/Cat Sharks

PostSubject: Re: 55 gallon freshwater cross-section biotope?   55 gallon freshwater cross-section biotope? Icon_minitime8/11/2010, 8:42 pm

Thanks, Fern. Yeah, I really wanted to go with a30 or 40 breeder. Problem is convincing the husband why I need a new tank with an empty, practically new, 55 here. I'm really regretting getting this 55 gallon. First I had a free 55 that needed a stand. Got the stand, not realizing I had an old Perfecto tank. So it wouldn't sit on the riser blocks. So, I got an AGA to go on it since the stand was non-returnable. Now I've got this way too narrow 55 gallon. I figure with this one I'd end up making it pretty shallow(maybe total water volume of 25+/- gallons) and could suspended a pendant light over the water filled end for the plants and to provide a heat gradient. I'm not sure if it would work though. I know this may not work but figured it be worth looking into before I nix the idea. Just not really much I can do with it. I tend to try to go for more unique themed tanks and species tanks. And right now, with 13 pets(including 3 dogs going through spays and vaccinations), money is tight so I need something I can build slowly over time.
Back to top Go down
khrister
USA Fishbox Sponsor
khrister

Favorite Fish: :
Cyphotilapia
Cyprichromis
Mbunas
Fancy PL*CO

PostSubject: Re: 55 gallon freshwater cross-section biotope?   55 gallon freshwater cross-section biotope? Icon_minitime8/11/2010, 8:56 pm

Maybe something like this?

http://www.zebrapleco.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5470&hilit=biotope
Back to top Go down
MarkM
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
MarkM

Favorite Fish: : If it swims and has fins and gills, I like it.

PostSubject: Re: 55 gallon freshwater cross-section biotope?   55 gallon freshwater cross-section biotope? Icon_minitime8/11/2010, 9:04 pm

A mudskipper would be awesome in a tank like that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 55 gallon freshwater cross-section biotope?   55 gallon freshwater cross-section biotope? Icon_minitime8/12/2010, 7:09 am

The shore would be tricky.... You would need a structure for your sand/dirt. Either wood or rock or a combo there of, some lattice work thing in there to keep the majority of it up....
I like the pendant idea, that or hang a double florescent shop light with some plant bulbs those work well for me!
Back to top Go down
Jeepluv77
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Jeepluv77

PostSubject: Re: 55 gallon freshwater cross-section biotope?   55 gallon freshwater cross-section biotope? Icon_minitime8/12/2010, 7:52 am

I have 80 pounds of leftover landscaping pea gravel here. It's non-chemically treated and should be fish safe after many rinses to get all the dust and grit out of it. I've also got lots of slate, including several large peices, I can use to keep the beach from sliding. I'm starting to really like the idea of a local tank and I'm wondering if it might just be easier to set that up instead. I love to go dipnetting off the piers in the bay but so far all I've caught it lots of ghost shrimp, some tiny blue crabs, a few gobies(not sure of the species), and some kind of red sponge. I want to identify that sponge and see if there's any chance of getting it to survive in a tank even though I know chances are slim. I've heard of the occasional sargassum frogfish being found in the area. They're not native to the area, as far as I know, but there's apparently a small population at Rudey Inlet. There are also volitan lionfish establishing nearby, too, although I'd have to do some research to find out where. My chances of catching either are slim but it just gives me an excuse to go out more often. :) If I go with a local tank it'll probably be salt. I tried putting an beautiful little american flagfish in a tank once and that was a very bad idea. That way by far the most aggressive fish I've ever seen and I've worked at two LFS's!
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: 55 gallon freshwater cross-section biotope?   55 gallon freshwater cross-section biotope? Icon_minitime8/12/2010, 8:13 am

Sounds like fun. I would love to dip net off the side of VA...or any shore for that matter. I did got on to google maps the other day and was looking from the satelite image for small ponds around in my area so I can get to them on foot. I found a few so when it cools down i will start a small adventure to see what I can find around here. Please take pics of your findings.
Back to top Go down
Jeepluv77
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Jeepluv77

PostSubject: Re: 55 gallon freshwater cross-section biotope?   55 gallon freshwater cross-section biotope? Icon_minitime8/12/2010, 8:27 am

KMX, if you're ever out this way I'd be more than happy to show you where the best saltwater spots are for dipnetting. I've got a few freshwater but they're harder to come by, oddly enough. Really, the problem with freshwater here is that most of it is surrounded by private property, but there are a few spots left. My favorite spots are the piers at Rudee(misspelled earlier) Inlet and Willoughby Spit. And the second pier at Sandbridge is pretty nice. All of these, of course, are only good out of tourist season. Otherwise there's just too many people about and you aren't likely to find much. I've always found that to be odd in the summer. Till I realized that if I was a fish I'd probably run from the thousands of people that swarm these beaches every day in the summer. Night time is the best time to go.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 55 gallon freshwater cross-section biotope?   55 gallon freshwater cross-section biotope? Icon_minitime8/12/2010, 4:31 pm

If you drive just west alittle toward Richmond there are quite a few streams/creek of freshwater. I live in Richmond and have a creek behind my house I get mosquito fish from. They breed like crazy so I only take a male and a female. As far as the 55 I would glue a 5" to 6" piece of acrylic about 1/2" off the bottom to separate a water area and land area. Fill the bottom of the small area with a larger gravel so water can flow through. Then layer with pea gravel , sand, and potting soil topped with pea gravel. Then graduate your pea gravel form the deepest part a thin layer all the way up to cover the planted area. I did this in a 55 back in the 70's and it was a well balanced tank. I used Newt and feeder guppies because they were cheap and available at the time.
Back to top Go down
VAMPY
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
VAMPY

Favorite Fish: : Bettas, Gouramis, Corys

PostSubject: Re: 55 gallon freshwater cross-section biotope?   55 gallon freshwater cross-section biotope? Icon_minitime8/12/2010, 4:55 pm

Ive always wanted to make one like this. Black Jungle is good site to learn, but the how to section is under construction.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29741813@N05/4251863967/in/set-72157623031340089/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29741813@N05/4251865481/in/set-72157623031340089/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29741813@N05/4251866017/in/set-72157623031340089/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 55 gallon freshwater cross-section biotope?   55 gallon freshwater cross-section biotope? Icon_minitime8/12/2010, 5:08 pm

Those are so KOOL!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 55 gallon freshwater cross-section biotope?   55 gallon freshwater cross-section biotope? Icon_minitime8/12/2010, 6:24 pm

Ok a trick for catching fish that you cant get with a dip net. Get the smallest hook with a long shank that you can buy. Get some raw chicken skin and any old fishin pole you have or can borrow. use small bits of chicken skin and get it on the hook really good and drop it in the shallower areas and see what bites. If you only pierce the lip and can remove the hook cleanly it will heal just fine. That will get you some more variety than what you would find with a dip net. This will work with fresh salt or brackish water.
That's the method that I used to catch my crested goby and I have had him about a year now.
Some fish will be tricky to convert to processed foods, so you will need to start by feeding live food, then move to frozen foods then flake/pellet with juice from the frozen foods on it, then just flake/pellet. The process can take up to a few months.
Back to top Go down
Jeepluv77
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Jeepluv77

PostSubject: Re: 55 gallon freshwater cross-section biotope?   55 gallon freshwater cross-section biotope? Icon_minitime8/12/2010, 7:19 pm

Those are really cool pics! I'm not sure that my skills are that advanced yet, but I may just start researching and try it anyway. And, thanks for the tips Fern. I might head out that way and find me some freshwater. I'm getting this crazy vision in my head of this elaborate set up complete with fog machine! Watch out, bank account! Lol
Back to top Go down
VAMPY
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
VAMPY

PostSubject: Re: 55 gallon freshwater cross-section biotope?   55 gallon freshwater cross-section biotope? Icon_minitime8/12/2010, 7:32 pm

I wish the how to section was up, it's really not that hard especially if you plan to do it little by little. My friend did one, but taller with a waterfall, fly traps, and all types of plants and it came out awesome.
Back to top Go down
Jeepluv77
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Jeepluv77

PostSubject: Re: 55 gallon freshwater cross-section biotope?   55 gallon freshwater cross-section biotope? Icon_minitime8/12/2010, 7:39 pm

This tank will probably be pretty hard to adapt anything to but I figure since it will be fallow for awhile I can experiment. I know I can get it to work. I'm thinking maybe build a rock wall in the left rear corner and expand it out and down from there. And, seeing as how the tank is 18 inches high, I could probably put a small trickle type waterfall over there if I can figure out how to rig it cost effectively.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 55 gallon freshwater cross-section biotope?   55 gallon freshwater cross-section biotope? Icon_minitime8/13/2010, 9:16 am

Itty bitty power head and some well disguised tubing would give you the water flow you want.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 55 gallon freshwater cross-section biotope?   55 gallon freshwater cross-section biotope? Icon_minitime8/13/2010, 1:14 pm

Find a cheap table top fountain at a thrift store and use that pump for the waterfall. I've picked them up for $3.
Back to top Go down
VAMPY
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
VAMPY

PostSubject: Re: 55 gallon freshwater cross-section biotope?   55 gallon freshwater cross-section biotope? Icon_minitime8/13/2010, 1:27 pm

here are some pics of my friends, it is a 45 gallon
55 gallon freshwater cross-section biotope? Vivful10
55 gallon freshwater cross-section biotope? Vivmnk10
and the tenants
55 gallon freshwater cross-section biotope? Viv10
Back to top Go down
VAMPY
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
VAMPY

PostSubject: Re: 55 gallon freshwater cross-section biotope?   55 gallon freshwater cross-section biotope? Icon_minitime8/13/2010, 1:29 pm

That was in the beginning, it looks even better now that everything is grown out.
Back to top Go down
Jeepluv77
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Jeepluv77

PostSubject: Re: 55 gallon freshwater cross-section biotope?   55 gallon freshwater cross-section biotope? Icon_minitime8/13/2010, 1:44 pm

I've got a little fountain thingy here and a rio-something or other little powerhead. I'm sure I can figure out something with one of them. And, Vampy, that's a gorgeous display. I've got some beautiful cypress roots I picked up off the beach but they're no where near ready for a tank yet. I keep forgeting to bring them in when it rains so they're haven't dried yet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 55 gallon freshwater cross-section biotope?   55 gallon freshwater cross-section biotope? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

55 gallon freshwater cross-section biotope?
Page 1 of 1