UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Oops - inadvertently ended up with new SW critters

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

Oops - inadvertently ended up with new SW critters Empty
PostSubject: Oops - inadvertently ended up with new SW critters   Oops - inadvertently ended up with new SW critters Icon_minitime7/18/2010, 2:49 pm

Ok, as most of you know, I'm a science teacher who uses live aquatic models in class for student research projects. Since I changed districts this year I've gone from being 5 minutes from the best Aquatic store in Nashville - to an hour away..

One of the main projects I do every year involves brine shrimp colonies. So I got the bright idea of using a 5G tank I had in storage to create a permanent breeding colony of them. That way I'm not driving WAY out've my way to the ONE store that sells them. (mentioned above). I also intend to feed the excess to my planted barb tank and Malawi Lake tank.

On the way home I stopped by my favorite Petco to buy the pair of Mollies my stepson has been wanting. While there I was given a pair of marine snails and a Chocolate chip Starfish that another customer had returned. (they always give me free stuff at this store.) Also purchased a big clump of algae.

So now I've got the whole shebang sitting in an overnight container with air stone. The starfish reacted to being dumped in by curling all legs up and over. After researching this online it turns out I now have a very happy starfish because he's in the middle of food...

Perhaps enough brine shrimp will survive to breed in the five gallon? Or perhaps I need to set aside a bowl of them just in case. (I doubt he'll manage to eat them all in one evening) Maybe the starfish will be so happy with the shrimp that he'll leave the snails alone.

In any case, I'm now the proud owner of a critter that I never intended to own. Though my students will get a kick out of him for sure!
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Oops - inadvertently ended up with new SW critters   Oops - inadvertently ended up with new SW critters Icon_minitime7/18/2010, 11:55 pm

Glad your son got what he wanted.

I think you should always have a back up plan so I would try both routes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Oops - inadvertently ended up with new SW critters   Oops - inadvertently ended up with new SW critters Icon_minitime8/1/2010, 6:49 pm

I love opps stories. funny
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oops - inadvertently ended up with new SW critters   Oops - inadvertently ended up with new SW critters Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Oops - inadvertently ended up with new SW critters
Page 1 of 1