UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Discus SWFL Style

Go down 
+4
CajunGator
Holey Rock of Texas
ilicurtisili
40zer
8 posters
AuthorMessage
40zer
Private
Private

Discus SWFL Style Empty
PostSubject: Discus SWFL Style   Discus SWFL Style Icon_minitime7/1/2010, 4:27 pm

It seems the there a great many schools (right) of thought regarding discus raising. After more than twenty years of "tank" raised fish and the multiple varieties now available we should all agree on one thing:

Water quality is more important than water hardness parameters.

Even though the original strains of South American fish were from a "soft" acidic water environment, we can and should no longer limit our thinking to this. We are successfully raising and growing out this fish in extremely
hardwater and should not be limited to thinking that soft water is the only alternative when it comes to healthy discus any longer. The quality and stability of the water as well as temp and ph should be of upmost importance.

Let me know your experiance in this matter...

Back to top Go down
ilicurtisili
Admin
Admin
ilicurtisili

Discus SWFL Style Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discus SWFL Style   Discus SWFL Style Icon_minitime7/1/2010, 4:53 pm

i dont know what your talking about. but i moved this to the discus section under Freshwater Aquaria.
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

Discus SWFL Style Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discus SWFL Style   Discus SWFL Style Icon_minitime7/1/2010, 5:38 pm

i know what you are saying but i do not have expeience with discus. we do have some members on here who do however.
Back to top Go down

Discus SWFL Style Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discus SWFL Style   Discus SWFL Style Icon_minitime7/1/2010, 7:22 pm

welcome So how are you liking those plants? If I don't end up having time to bring you some tomorrow I will bring them in next Wednesday crazy
Back to top Go down
40zer
Private
Private

Discus SWFL Style Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discus SWFL Style   Discus SWFL Style Icon_minitime7/2/2010, 4:54 am

...saw those fishy fish. how's about a native vegitation tank with gold asian arrowanna's. yellow we were detectiong on the amonia reading test kit yesterday was "tannin" in the water... LOL
picking up the Panda later today. stop over and say hello 40zer@comcast.net
Back to top Go down

Discus SWFL Style Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discus SWFL Style   Discus SWFL Style Icon_minitime7/2/2010, 12:34 pm

The only arowana that's legal in FL is the silver and those can reach 4-6'
If by panda you mean panda cory they like to be in schools of at least 6
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

Discus SWFL Style Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discus SWFL Style   Discus SWFL Style Icon_minitime7/2/2010, 2:49 pm

lets share some pics of that Gold Asian... WOW

yes
Back to top Go down
snowflake311
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
snowflake311

Favorite Fish: : South American Ciclids and plecos. I will always love my bettas but have moved on.

Discus SWFL Style Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discus SWFL Style   Discus SWFL Style Icon_minitime7/9/2010, 11:03 am

Well to get back on topic. I just got my first discus the water he was shipped is was 7.5 my tap water is a soft 7.3. My little guy is doing very well. I agree and many other keepers will agree that to say discus must have ph 6 or only ro water is just not right. People are even keeping wild discus in water as hard as 7.5 with no problems.

What it comes down to is many people don't give fish enough credit. They are not as weak as we make them out to be.

Given proper care a discus is no harder to care for then any other cichlids. They just need cleaner water then some. But don't all fish deserve good clean water?
Back to top Go down
mamapuff
Private First Class
Private First Class
mamapuff

Favorite Fish: : Too hard to choose just one out of my crew.

Discus SWFL Style Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discus SWFL Style   Discus SWFL Style Icon_minitime7/12/2010, 11:41 am

I agree with the OP. Discus can be kept in waters that would be considered "improper" for them. I myself keep my two fatties in a 75 gallon with an assortment of other fish that wouldn't normally be housed with them. Our water is normally around 7.4 and they are doing great. I have had them since about February when I got them at the size of a silver dollar. Now they are much larger, with my "ugly duckling" being massive compared to the other one. Flake, brine shrimp, pellet and bloodworms are mainly their diet.

Discus SWFL Style DSC00749
Discus SWFL Style DSC00751
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

Favorite Fish: : discus

Discus SWFL Style Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discus SWFL Style   Discus SWFL Style Icon_minitime7/12/2010, 7:23 pm

snowflake311 wrote:
Well to get back on topic. I just got my first discus the water he was shipped is was 7.5 my tap water is a soft 7.3. My little guy is doing very well. I agree and many other keepers will agree that to say discus must have ph 6 or only ro water is just not right. People are even keeping wild discus in water as hard as 7.5 with no problems.

What it comes down to is many people don't give fish enough credit. They are not as weak as we make them out to be.

Given proper care a discus is no harder to care for then any other cichlids. They just need cleaner water then some. But don't all fish deserve good clean water?

I AGREE!!
Back to top Go down
Ghoulish_chaos
Major
Major
Ghoulish_chaos

Discus SWFL Style Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discus SWFL Style   Discus SWFL Style Icon_minitime7/12/2010, 10:30 pm

Love those Discuss.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Discus SWFL Style Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discus SWFL Style   Discus SWFL Style Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Discus SWFL Style
Page 1 of 1