UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

Hexagon Vs. Rectangular

Go down 
+8
luis
CajunGator
Holey Rock of Texas
hydrodmg
KMX
thebanker
unknown
sfagrad
12 posters
AuthorMessage
sfagrad
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
sfagrad

Favorite Fish: : Clown Loaches - Fav FW

Yellow Tangs - Fav SW

Hexagon Vs. Rectangular Empty
PostSubject: Hexagon Vs. Rectangular   Hexagon Vs. Rectangular Icon_minitime6/30/2010, 3:10 pm

New to the site and I am researching carefully before I buy. PETCO is doing their $1 per gallon thing until the 17th. That's on up to a 55 gallon rec. tank. On Craigslist a guy is selling a hex tank with stand, and filter for 90. My basic thing is this, which is better for a 1st timer, rec. or hex.? I have size for either but for maintenance and healthy fish reasons I need the info.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
unknown
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
unknown

Favorite Fish: : You mean I gotta have a favorite??

PostSubject: Re: Hexagon Vs. Rectangular   Hexagon Vs. Rectangular Icon_minitime6/30/2010, 3:18 pm

Welcome aboard!!

welcome

To answer your question, there is no simple answer. It largely depends on what you plan to keep, and their requirements, as well as what you are looking for aesthetically.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of responses with varied opinions. Read 'em all and keep an open mind. There's alot of knowledge on this site and I'm sure someone will come up with an answer that will help you decide.

In the meantime, look around and enjoy the site.
Back to top Go down
thebanker
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
thebanker

PostSubject: Re: Hexagon Vs. Rectangular   Hexagon Vs. Rectangular Icon_minitime6/30/2010, 3:22 pm

Unknown pretty much hit it on the head, what do you plan on keeping?
Back to top Go down
sfagrad
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
sfagrad

Yellow Tangs - Fav SW

PostSubject: Re: Hexagon Vs. Rectangular   Hexagon Vs. Rectangular Icon_minitime6/30/2010, 3:25 pm

Clown Fish/Tangs/Anenomes/ nothing extremely fancy/expensive at first.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Hexagon Vs. Rectangular   Hexagon Vs. Rectangular Icon_minitime6/30/2010, 3:25 pm

Great question. What do you plan on keeping?
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Hexagon Vs. Rectangular   Hexagon Vs. Rectangular Icon_minitime6/30/2010, 3:26 pm

Also rem that petcoe has a gaurentee that it wont leak Craigslist dose not.
Back to top Go down
hydrodmg
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

Favorite Fish: : broiled or grilled just not fried

PostSubject: Re: Hexagon Vs. Rectangular   Hexagon Vs. Rectangular Icon_minitime6/30/2010, 3:43 pm

think about this a diesel engine has 40 % fewer moving parts than a gas engine and all tractor trailers are diesel because they last longer
A hex tank in my personal opinion is just risky you more than double your chance for a leak go with a new tank from petco and send in the paper work it is worth it
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: Hexagon Vs. Rectangular   Hexagon Vs. Rectangular Icon_minitime6/30/2010, 3:43 pm

is the tank on CL setup for salt already?
Back to top Go down
unknown
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
unknown

Favorite Fish: : You mean I gotta have a favorite??

for corals and smaller fish/inverts, a hex can be set up beautifully. For more or larger fish, the rectangular would be more beneficial to the fish in allowing swim room. Having the length for swimming helps keep them in better health than having them swim in circles. crazy

KMX makes a good point with the guarantee on the tank, too. A hex is a pain to re-seal, and allows no room for error. Too many seams to worry about.
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: Hexagon Vs. Rectangular   Hexagon Vs. Rectangular Icon_minitime6/30/2010, 3:44 pm

i agree with them all... some fish require more footprint to get away from more aggressive fish! So you really need to decide what you are gonna keep prior to getting the new aquarium!
Back to top Go down
luis
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
luis

Favorite Fish: : frontosa, venustus

PostSubject: Re: Hexagon Vs. Rectangular   Hexagon Vs. Rectangular Icon_minitime6/30/2010, 3:46 pm

:welcome
KMX wrote:
Also rem that petcoe has a gaurentee that it wont leak Craigslist dose not.
Hexagon Vs. Rectangular 858205 i just bought one on craigslist last week and was told it didnt leak..when i filled it up with water it leaked from like 5 different places so i try to contact them and never responded or answered my calls
Back to top Go down
intensitti
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
intensitti

Favorite Fish: : Angels and Discus

PostSubject: Re: Hexagon Vs. Rectangular   Hexagon Vs. Rectangular Icon_minitime6/30/2010, 4:11 pm

we have mainly longs but do have one hex and one cube. we got the hex and cube maily for space requirements. i prefer the longs over the hex/cube. plus, if you need to section off for whatever reason, you wouldn't really be able to do it on a hex/cube.
Back to top Go down
intensitti
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
intensitti

Favorite Fish: : Angels and Discus

PostSubject: Re: Hexagon Vs. Rectangular   Hexagon Vs. Rectangular Icon_minitime6/30/2010, 4:14 pm

For the heater, filter, and air pump, you should be able to pickup used at a decent price. Plus, there are ways to DIY on a budget. We have done alot of DIY tank projects.
Back to top Go down
sal
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
sal

Favorite Fish: : All Cichlids.

PostSubject: Re: Hexagon Vs. Rectangular   Hexagon Vs. Rectangular Icon_minitime6/30/2010, 4:35 pm

myself, I dont care for the hex tank even tho i have one up and running (corner tank) to many corners reduce your water circulation, you would need a power head to help with that. Petco has the deal now i would jump on it......i did.
Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

Favorite Fish: : okay i dont know wat my fav anymore just want more lol

PostSubject: Re: Hexagon Vs. Rectangular   Hexagon Vs. Rectangular Icon_minitime6/30/2010, 5:06 pm

and u hav to think bout it too do u want to see alot of seams or just the corner seams so u can ur fish instead of trying to see them thro the seams. i had one for a goldfish wen i was little and its sucked bc i couldnt see him clearly
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: Hexagon Vs. Rectangular   Hexagon Vs. Rectangular Icon_minitime6/30/2010, 5:08 pm

very good point pillie... or should i say 5 points.... LOL

lol!
Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

Favorite Fish: : okay i dont know wat my fav anymore just want more lol

PostSubject: Re: Hexagon Vs. Rectangular   Hexagon Vs. Rectangular Icon_minitime6/30/2010, 5:12 pm

lol thx, i was litle wen i had that tank but wen i put my bubble heads fancy goldfish in there i couldnt see him. i was little and i pouted and cried,as i was very good at it and got a new tank.
Back to top Go down
sfagrad
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
sfagrad

Yellow Tangs - Fav SW

PostSubject: Re: Hexagon Vs. Rectangular   Hexagon Vs. Rectangular Icon_minitime7/1/2010, 1:50 pm

Thanks for all the info. I am going to go ahead and buy the PETCO tank and acquire the other things I need later. I really appreciate everybody's help. I will definitely need help setting things up when I decide to get started.
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

PostSubject: Re: Hexagon Vs. Rectangular   Hexagon Vs. Rectangular Icon_minitime7/1/2010, 2:43 pm

Hex tanks have smaller space for fish in some way, and its faster to clean an rec tank than a hex..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hexagon Vs. Rectangular   Hexagon Vs. Rectangular Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hexagon Vs. Rectangular
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
UsaFishBox :: :: SaltWater Aquaria :: Saltwater Setups-
Jump to: