UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

I got my first and only African Cichlid.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
snowflake311
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
snowflake311

Favorite Fish: : South American Ciclids and plecos. I will always love my bettas but have moved on.

I got my first and only African Cichlid. Empty
PostSubject: I got my first and only African Cichlid.   I got my first and only African Cichlid. Icon_minitime5/7/2010, 8:53 pm

I'm always looking for more plants but I found fish insted. I thought it was a dwarf SA cichidI looked like an acara but I never saw one like this before. Since this fish has been at the store for 2 almost 3 weeks now I bought him.

Now that I had him home I could get a good look at him and I started to think this is not a SA cichlid at all. SO I did my research and found it to be a Anomalochromis thomasi. I'm not a 100% sure so let me know what you think.

Also if you have kept these guys any info would be nice thanks .

I got my first and only African Cichlid. P5073316
I got my first and only African Cichlid. P5073323
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I got my first and only African Cichlid.   I got my first and only African Cichlid. Icon_minitime5/7/2010, 9:06 pm

hes cute how big is he?
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

PostSubject: Re: I got my first and only African Cichlid.   I got my first and only African Cichlid. Icon_minitime5/7/2010, 9:15 pm

With that black neon behind him I'd say he's about 1-1.5 inches! lol Little guy!
Back to top Go down
snowflake311
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
snowflake311

Favorite Fish: : South American Ciclids and plecos. I will always love my bettas but have moved on.

PostSubject: Re: I got my first and only African Cichlid.   I got my first and only African Cichlid. Icon_minitime5/7/2010, 10:02 pm

Its a female Emperor tetra in the background but you are right he is about 1.5".

That Emperor tetra jumped out of the jar I had them in on to the Floor. I went to check on them and foud her on the ground. I got to her in time and she is fine now.

I'm going to put this guy in one of my planted community. I can't make up my mind about what tank to put these guys in. I have plenty of room but don't know where to put them. I have a few weeks to deside I'm keeping them in the QT tanks for now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I got my first and only African Cichlid.   I got my first and only African Cichlid. Icon_minitime5/8/2010, 6:53 am

well, what are the options? tank size and stock
Back to top Go down
snowflake311
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
snowflake311

PostSubject: Re: I got my first and only African Cichlid.   I got my first and only African Cichlid. Icon_minitime5/8/2010, 8:23 am

36 gal planted.
5 xray tetras 2"
3 rasbora 3"
1 bnpleco 3"
1 clown pleco 3"
1 bolvian ram 2"
1 blue acara 4"( will move)

55 gal
12 Cory cats
5 emperor tetras
1 severum 4"
1 bolviana ram 2"
1 bn pleco 1"
* move blue acara to this tank*

100 gal
1 true parrot 4"
1 ebjd 3"
1 red severum 2"
3 pictus cats 3"
5 red eye tetras (I know they will be lunch when the others grow so I will rehome them)

I'm thinking of adding this guy and my new Flag cichlid 2" to the 36 gal move the blue acara back in with her old buddy the severum.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I got my first and only African Cichlid.   I got my first and only African Cichlid. Icon_minitime5/8/2010, 3:40 pm

The 36g sounds like the best tank for now, if he gets big upgrade him to one of the bigger tanks.
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

PostSubject: Re: I got my first and only African Cichlid.   I got my first and only African Cichlid. Icon_minitime5/8/2010, 4:17 pm

I got my first and only African Cichlid. 858205
Back to top Go down
snowflake311
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
snowflake311

PostSubject: Re: I got my first and only African Cichlid.   I got my first and only African Cichlid. Icon_minitime5/8/2010, 8:00 pm

Thanks guys from most of what I read these guys only get 3"- 4"males. But it's seems these are not a very popular fish. I never heard of them or saw them before till this guy. Then again I keep American cichlids and know most of the popular ones.
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

Favorite Fish: : discus

PostSubject: Re: I got my first and only African Cichlid.   I got my first and only African Cichlid. Icon_minitime5/9/2010, 12:34 am

i like it. where did you get him from?
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: I got my first and only African Cichlid.   I got my first and only African Cichlid. Icon_minitime5/9/2010, 9:12 am

very nice fish. great pickup. enjoy your new fishy..
Back to top Go down
snowflake311
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
snowflake311

PostSubject: Re: I got my first and only African Cichlid.   I got my first and only African Cichlid. Icon_minitime5/10/2010, 12:19 am

I found him at my LFS they did Not know what kind of fish it was. It was a random fish they got in I think part of an asorted dwarf cichlid bag. I have never seen one before or heard of them till I got this guy. Then Again I don't know many African cichlids Americans are my thing. This little guy is a lot like my south American cichlids.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I got my first and only African Cichlid.   I got my first and only African Cichlid. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I got my first and only African Cichlid.
Page 1 of 1