UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

55 Gallon Tank - Journal Type... Thing

Go down 
+2
thebanker
SunnyCait
6 posters
AuthorMessage
SunnyCait
Private
Private

55 Gallon Tank - Journal Type... Thing Empty
PostSubject: 55 Gallon Tank - Journal Type... Thing   55 Gallon Tank - Journal Type... Thing Icon_minitime4/20/2010, 12:26 pm

So last Thursday I drug out the 55gallon tank I've had sitting in my dining room for several months. I set it up in my driveway and filled it up, to see if she held water still... I figured since it went from being in use to just sitting in my dining room it should be fine. And it was! It's still sitting out there, no leaks or anything. The next step is emptying it and bringing it inside, adding the substrate, and filling it up again and getting it going!

Here are some pics of it filling for it's test run:

55 Gallon Tank - Journal Type... Thing IMG_6132

My dog, Karly, wants to know exactly why we are doing this...
55 Gallon Tank - Journal Type... Thing IMG_6134

Tank is all filled up... She still doesn't get it. LOL
55 Gallon Tank - Journal Type... Thing IMG_6138

And here are some of the "stuff" I have for it...
55 Gallon Tank - Journal Type... Thing IMG_6367

We have a tombstone maker in town and he always has bits and pieces of broken stones.

I got the plants from Michael's, LOL. I had wanted to do a planted tank but it's just not plausable for me to maintain this size of a planted tank with my schedule/experience. Though in the future I would love to at least attempt a smaller planted tank.

55 Gallon Tank - Journal Type... Thing IMG_6370

I'm not sure what I want to stock with, or anything really... Just tropical freshwater is all I know for sure, haha!
Back to top Go down
thebanker
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
thebanker

PostSubject: Re: 55 Gallon Tank - Journal Type... Thing   55 Gallon Tank - Journal Type... Thing Icon_minitime4/20/2010, 12:36 pm

nice start, what you using for substrate?
Back to top Go down
SunnyCait
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: 55 Gallon Tank - Journal Type... Thing   55 Gallon Tank - Journal Type... Thing Icon_minitime4/20/2010, 12:47 pm

Looks like common playsand. I hate the area I live in, you can't find anything worth finding, that's for sure.
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

Favorite Fish: :

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: 55 Gallon Tank - Journal Type... Thing   55 Gallon Tank - Journal Type... Thing Icon_minitime4/20/2010, 12:55 pm

nice!!!
cant wait to see wat u end up puttin in their!1
also wanna see how them plants look in the tank lol
Back to top Go down
SunnyCait
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: 55 Gallon Tank - Journal Type... Thing   55 Gallon Tank - Journal Type... Thing Icon_minitime4/20/2010, 1:37 pm

I dunno what to stock with yet...

What are your ideas?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 55 Gallon Tank - Journal Type... Thing   55 Gallon Tank - Journal Type... Thing Icon_minitime4/20/2010, 1:40 pm

Looks like your off to a great start!
I think planted tanks are very easy and require less maintenance than non planted.
What method are you using to cycle the tank?
Back to top Go down
SunnyCait
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: 55 Gallon Tank - Journal Type... Thing   55 Gallon Tank - Journal Type... Thing Icon_minitime4/20/2010, 1:47 pm

I'd like to find some bio-spira but on a recent trip to the "fish store" I couldn't find it. Naturally. :P So I'm going to take some water and filter media from a friend's established tank and put it in mine, and cycle it that way. I'm hoping it won't take *too* long to do it that way.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 55 Gallon Tank - Journal Type... Thing   55 Gallon Tank - Journal Type... Thing Icon_minitime4/20/2010, 2:03 pm

The cycle in a bottle stuff is a waste of money, Bumming old filter media is the best and easiest way to do it. Just feed the tank a pinch of cheap flake food every day till your levels even out, then a big water change and sand vacuuming and your ready for a few fish. Just add the new fish slow, like 3-4 a week.
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: 55 Gallon Tank - Journal Type... Thing   55 Gallon Tank - Journal Type... Thing Icon_minitime4/20/2010, 2:48 pm

I think the dog wants to bathe in that tank, LOL

lol!
Back to top Go down
SunnyCait
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: 55 Gallon Tank - Journal Type... Thing   55 Gallon Tank - Journal Type... Thing Icon_minitime4/20/2010, 6:20 pm

You think I should just forgo the water and just get the filter media? My friend normally runs two HOB filters and replaced one of hers with the filter I'm going to use with mine, then I was going to take my filter back home and start running it in the tank. Do you think that will be good enough or should I grab water too?

Cheap fish food, noted. I have to get another kit I think, this one doesn't register ammonia! Kind of need that one, LOL.

I also need to grab a gravel cleaner (fancy syphon I guess!) for cleaning the sand... I hate myself for getting rid of so much stuff! *meh*

I think I should also set up this 15 gallon I have in storage for quarantine. Only thing is it doesn't have a lid. Hmmm. I should look into that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 55 Gallon Tank - Journal Type... Thing   55 Gallon Tank - Journal Type... Thing Icon_minitime4/20/2010, 6:42 pm

The tetra laborette is a good test kit, it runs about $25, much cheaper than most.

To easily siphon and clean sand get a big fat one, that will allow the sand to fall back down and the wastes to get sucked up, nothing fancy needed lol!

You don't need to get old tank water if your getting a well seeded filter, how long has it been on your friends tank?
Borrowing some decor if you can will also help, the good bacteria live on most surfaces of the tank as well as the filter, I think if you can borrow some decor with some large surface area you could probably go ahead and put 2 small fish in there. But if not....
To easily cycle the tank just add a pinch of fish food a day till the ammonia is 0 and the other 2 in the acceptable range then a good water change then 2-3 hardy fish.

For dechlorinator I like Prime the best, its got the most bang per buck $$$

Tanks only need lids if you have jumpers in them, out of my 20 some odd tanks I only have one with a lid on it.

Just rinse out the 15g and set it somewhere, it wont need water in it till your QT-ing someone. Just keep the filter for it running on your main tank so that its well seeded for when you need it and when you are done with it wash it out very well with chlorinated tap water to kill any evil critters and put it back on the main tank.
Back to top Go down
SunnyCait
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: 55 Gallon Tank - Journal Type... Thing   55 Gallon Tank - Journal Type... Thing Icon_minitime4/21/2010, 1:02 pm

The filter has been running in there for about a month, month and a half nearly. Is that long enough? It'll probably be in there another week until I get the tank moved indoors. I still need to set up the stand and wash playsand. Do you think 100 pounds of sand is enough?

I did pick up a bottle of Prime, glad now I went with that route! :D

Thanks for all that info, I really do appreciate it!! I am so excited to get this thing going.

Still undecided as to what to put in it... I just am not drawn to anything in particular yet I guess!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 55 Gallon Tank - Journal Type... Thing   55 Gallon Tank - Journal Type... Thing Icon_minitime4/21/2010, 1:05 pm

50lbs will be plenty.
Don't get the filter till you know what fish you want, Its ready to support 3 small fish.
Back to top Go down
igotatank
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : Most Saltwater Fish

PostSubject: Re: 55 Gallon Tank - Journal Type... Thing   55 Gallon Tank - Journal Type... Thing Icon_minitime4/22/2010, 3:35 pm

i take it you are doing freshwater???
Back to top Go down
SunnyCait
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: 55 Gallon Tank - Journal Type... Thing   55 Gallon Tank - Journal Type... Thing Icon_minitime4/22/2010, 6:16 pm

You bet. I plan on moving in a year, probably not the best time to set up saltwater. One day, though, I definitely am.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: 55 Gallon Tank - Journal Type... Thing   55 Gallon Tank - Journal Type... Thing Icon_minitime4/22/2010, 6:38 pm

Nice keep the pics coming. CUTE DOG!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 55 Gallon Tank - Journal Type... Thing   55 Gallon Tank - Journal Type... Thing Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

55 Gallon Tank - Journal Type... Thing
Page 1 of 1