UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Frontosa ID

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
mshill90
USA Fishbox Sponsor
mshill90

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa

Frontosa ID Empty
PostSubject: Frontosa ID   Frontosa ID Icon_minitime3/19/2010, 8:31 pm

I have been looking at my Fronts for quite some time, and I think I have 2 different types.

I got them all together just recently, and she has had them from fry.

2 are more white, and the other 2 have darker blue...

I don't know if you can tell in the pics, but the 2 big ones look the same, and the 2 small ones look the same.

Can you tell me what type they are as well?

Also, while this is a post about Fronts, What can I use to fix their fins? They are shredding, and I don't know why. Is it maybe they aren't used to the cleaner water of my tank? The tank I got them from was super dirty. The water looked like Urine. Would Melafix work, or should I just let it fix itself?

Frontosa ID 100_4110
Frontosa ID 100_4111
Frontosa ID 100_4113
Back to top Go down
khrister
USA Fishbox Sponsor
khrister

Favorite Fish: :
Cyphotilapia
Cyprichromis
Mbunas
Fancy PL*CO

Frontosa ID Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frontosa ID   Frontosa ID Icon_minitime3/19/2010, 11:21 pm

They look Tanzanian to me. Probably Ikola or Mpimbwe. Can you take a close up face shots of each fish.

Last edited by khrister on 3/19/2010, 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mshill90
USA Fishbox Sponsor
mshill90

Frontosa ID Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frontosa ID   Frontosa ID Icon_minitime3/19/2010, 11:23 pm

Yeah, I can get some pics, just won't be able to get them until late tomorrow. Off to pick up my 110 gallon in the morning. 4 hours drive there, and 4 hours back. party21
Back to top Go down
Ghoulish_chaos
Major
Major
Ghoulish_chaos

Frontosa ID Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frontosa ID   Frontosa ID Icon_minitime3/20/2010, 1:15 am

Nice fish.
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

Frontosa ID Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frontosa ID   Frontosa ID Icon_minitime3/21/2010, 11:48 am

NICE!!!!!!! they look nie !!!!
Back to top Go down
mshill90
USA Fishbox Sponsor
mshill90

Frontosa ID Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frontosa ID   Frontosa ID Icon_minitime3/21/2010, 11:51 am

Hehe. thanks. haha

Frontosa ID 100_4210

Frontosa ID 100_4211

Frontosa ID 100_4212
Back to top Go down
khrister
USA Fishbox Sponsor
khrister

Cyphotilapia
Cyprichromis
Mbunas
Fancy PL*CO

Frontosa ID Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frontosa ID   Frontosa ID Icon_minitime3/22/2010, 5:54 pm

Do they all have face masks like that? IF so they look Mpimbwe to me...
Back to top Go down
mshill90
USA Fishbox Sponsor
mshill90

Frontosa ID Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frontosa ID   Frontosa ID Icon_minitime3/22/2010, 5:57 pm

Yes, but the smallest one is way darker than the others. Like has a dark blue, and not bright like the others. Like a navy blue.

The picture doesn't catch it because it just washes it out. Maybe it's just me. lol.
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

Frontosa ID Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frontosa ID   Frontosa ID Icon_minitime3/23/2010, 9:08 pm

Very Nice Fish! If you get some fry, maybe send some my way?
Back to top Go down
mshill90
USA Fishbox Sponsor
mshill90

Frontosa ID Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frontosa ID   Frontosa ID Icon_minitime3/23/2010, 9:12 pm

We are actually going to be ordering in some Masawa Yellows soon. 10 fry to start with to see how we like them.

I do want to have a variety of different Fronts, but I need to get a few of the same species from different sources, so I can breed them.

But once I get fry, I'll let you know.

Maybe we can trade if you breed fish too?
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

Frontosa ID Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frontosa ID   Frontosa ID Icon_minitime3/23/2010, 9:18 pm

So far I've successfully bred Red Jewels (not hard), Albino Bristlenose Plecos (I also have some normal fry from those hatches as well. Pics posted under bottom dwellers), and I've gotten eggs but no fry from my Jack Dempsey's and my German Blue Rams. I'm working on trying to save some Albino Cory eggs before they get eaten off the glass and also trying to grow out some Electric Yellow Labs to breed, which looks like I may have some females holding soon if their stomachs have anything to do with it.

Any of those sound enticing?
Back to top Go down
mshill90
USA Fishbox Sponsor
mshill90

Frontosa ID Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frontosa ID   Frontosa ID Icon_minitime3/23/2010, 9:21 pm

CSnyder00 wrote:
So far I've successfully bred Red Jewels (not hard), Albino Bristlenose Plecos (I also have some normal fry from those hatches as well. Pics posted under bottom dwellers), and I've gotten eggs but no fry from my Jack Dempsey's and my German Blue Rams. I'm working on trying to save some Albino Cory eggs before they get eaten off the glass and also trying to grow out some Electric Yellow Labs to breed, which looks like I may have some females holding soon if their stomachs have anything to do with it.

Any of those sound enticing?

German Blue Rams sound interesting. :)

I as well got eggs from my Jacks, but the pleco ate them. haha. I am trying to sell the pair to free up a tank. They are VERY pretty fish though.

Are your electric yellows all yellow, or do they have the faint striping?
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Frontosa ID Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frontosa ID   Frontosa ID Icon_minitime3/23/2010, 9:24 pm

The one female is all yellow. The other female has faint striping and so does the male.

My Jacks have eaten their own eggs twice. They are in my display tank and they are very spooky and they always lay eggs on days that I have scheduled maintenance on the tank, so they get scared and eat all the eggs when I'm trying to do my water changes and stuff. Next time, I am going to remove the eggs and hatch them myself.
Back to top Go down
mshill90
USA Fishbox Sponsor
mshill90

Frontosa ID Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frontosa ID   Frontosa ID Icon_minitime3/23/2010, 9:26 pm

CSnyder00 wrote:
The one female is all yellow. The other female has faint striping and so does the male.

My Jacks have eaten their own eggs twice. They are in my display tank and they are very spooky and they always lay eggs on days that I have scheduled maintenance on the tank, so they get scared and eat all the eggs when I'm trying to do my water changes and stuff. Next time, I am going to remove the eggs and hatch them myself.

I really like the faint striped ones. ;)

The first time my female layed eggs, she kept freaking out and flinging them all over the tank, then the pleco would have a feast. He is so fat that he can't stick his mouth to the glass because his belly is too big. lol!

What color were your Jacks eggs?
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Frontosa ID Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frontosa ID   Frontosa ID Icon_minitime3/23/2010, 9:29 pm

They start out clear and then you can see a black dot in the center, much like other eggs. I also think my problem is that I'm breeding a normal strain with a EBJD female. I am hoping that my male is a blue gene carrier and I can get some EBJD fry. No luck so far. I'm going to grab some pics of my Yellows. I'll post them in a few.
Back to top Go down
mshill90
USA Fishbox Sponsor
mshill90

Frontosa ID Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frontosa ID   Frontosa ID Icon_minitime3/23/2010, 9:32 pm

CSnyder00 wrote:
They start out clear and then you can see a black dot in the center, much like other eggs. I also think my problem is that I'm breeding a normal strain with a EBJD female. I am hoping that my male is a blue gene carrier and I can get some EBJD fry. No luck so far. I'm going to grab some pics of my Yellows. I'll post them in a few.

See the ones mine laid weren't clear ever. They were a weird greenish color. I know it wasn't fish poop either. But I never noticed them until it was too late... so I check constantly now. haha. They should breed again in about a week or so. Hopefully I can get them out and hatch them. I just got to look into how to do that. haha!
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Frontosa ID Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frontosa ID   Frontosa ID Icon_minitime3/23/2010, 9:41 pm

You just need an open CYCLED tank and an airstone to keep a current over the eggs so that they don't go stale. I've never seen green eggs, but maybe your green and my black are the same thing??? Anyway, here are my yellows.

Frontosa ID YellowLabs

Frontosa ID YellowLabs1

I couldn't take a picture of the other female, which is starting to show black on it's front and anal fins, which may mean it's a male.
Back to top Go down
mshill90
USA Fishbox Sponsor
mshill90

Frontosa ID Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frontosa ID   Frontosa ID Icon_minitime3/23/2010, 9:46 pm

Those are pretty sexxi. :)
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Frontosa ID Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frontosa ID   Frontosa ID Icon_minitime3/23/2010, 9:48 pm

They are nice looking fish. If you look at the female, you can tell she looks preggo.
Back to top Go down
Ghoulish_chaos
Major
Major
Ghoulish_chaos

Frontosa ID Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frontosa ID   Frontosa ID Icon_minitime3/24/2010, 12:52 am

Nice looking fish.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Frontosa ID Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frontosa ID   Frontosa ID Icon_minitime