UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

3m crushed quartz

Go down 
+3
alkomist
typicaltony
Rachael0805
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

3m crushed quartz Empty
PostSubject: 3m crushed quartz   3m crushed quartz Icon_minitime2/12/2010, 11:31 am

does anyone know what kind of stores would carry 3m crushed quartz? im having some difficulties locating it
Back to top Go down
Rachael0805
Captain
Captain
Rachael0805

Favorite Fish: : Red Devil, Red Terror, Green Terror...

3m crushed quartz Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3m crushed quartz   3m crushed quartz Icon_minitime2/12/2010, 11:38 am

Try a pool store. They use it for their filters.
Back to top Go down

3m crushed quartz Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3m crushed quartz   3m crushed quartz Icon_minitime2/12/2010, 12:00 pm

ahh perfect theres a couple by my house
Back to top Go down
typicaltony
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

3m crushed quartz Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3m crushed quartz   3m crushed quartz Icon_minitime2/12/2010, 12:02 pm

tile and pool.
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

Favorite Fish: :

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

3m crushed quartz Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3m crushed quartz   3m crushed quartz Icon_minitime2/12/2010, 3:44 pm

3m crushed quartz 858205 good luck bro!!!!
Back to top Go down
bimmertech
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
bimmertech

Favorite Fish: : PEACOCKS OF ALL COLORS!!!!!!

3m crushed quartz Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3m crushed quartz   3m crushed quartz Icon_minitime2/12/2010, 4:47 pm

to bad u dont live in dallas cause holey rock sells it. all colors too!!!!
Back to top Go down

3m crushed quartz Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3m crushed quartz   3m crushed quartz Icon_minitime2/12/2010, 5:43 pm

bimmertech wrote:
to bad u dont live in dallas cause holey rock sells it. all colors too!!!!

shipping would kill me lol
Back to top Go down

3m crushed quartz Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3m crushed quartz   3m crushed quartz Icon_minitime2/12/2010, 6:32 pm

What color are you after?
Back to top Go down

3m crushed quartz Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3m crushed quartz   3m crushed quartz Icon_minitime2/12/2010, 6:52 pm

the elusive black
Back to top Go down

3m crushed quartz Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3m crushed quartz   3m crushed quartz Icon_minitime2/12/2010, 6:53 pm

Just get black moon sand or something like that....
Back to top Go down
h0ngkn0t2
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
h0ngkn0t2

Favorite Fish: : African cichlids, Bristlenose Plecos and Koi

3m crushed quartz Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3m crushed quartz   3m crushed quartz Icon_minitime2/12/2010, 6:56 pm

3M colored quartz was phased out of production on December of 2009. It'll probably be hard to find now...
Back to top Go down

3m crushed quartz Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3m crushed quartz   3m crushed quartz Icon_minitime2/12/2010, 6:59 pm

well cr@p! thanks for letting me know hong
Back to top Go down
Raschael
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Raschael

3m crushed quartz Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3m crushed quartz   3m crushed quartz Icon_minitime2/12/2010, 7:41 pm

Black. . . I want black too
Back to top Go down

3m crushed quartz Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3m crushed quartz   3m crushed quartz Icon_minitime2/12/2010, 8:00 pm

There are several black sands on the market......
Back to top Go down

3m crushed quartz Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3m crushed quartz   3m crushed quartz Icon_minitime2/12/2010, 8:58 pm

but i never see them. i like the fact that the crushed quartz doenst get stirred up like sand, what are the other sands on the market?
Back to top Go down
h0ngkn0t2
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
h0ngkn0t2

Favorite Fish: : African cichlids, Bristlenose Plecos and Koi

3m crushed quartz Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3m crushed quartz   3m crushed quartz Icon_minitime2/13/2010, 1:02 am

Others use black sandblasting sand...you can buy those at a Tractor Supply store.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/StoreByStateView?storeId=10551&catalogId=10001

Because the sand is used for sandblasting (who would have thought...lol) the edges are a little sharp. In a community/planted tank or a non-cichlid tank that is fine, but the sand is sharp and could injure their mouths as well as puncture eggs if they were trying to scoop it off the substrate.

Now, I know folks who use it despite this fact, and they still yield pretty good results; so it's just a precaution. Just wanted to let you know the disclaimer before you ran out and bought some under my recommendation.

Approx $10 for 50 lbs...

Color quartz, if you can find it, runs about $24-$27/50lb bag.
Back to top Go down

3m crushed quartz Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3m crushed quartz   3m crushed quartz Icon_minitime2/13/2010, 1:12 am

thanks hong, im gonna be putting cichlids in there and i would rather not injure the fish in anyway, i might just end up using my old crushed coral from my sw tank. i ran the hose threw the bucket for about an hour and there was no more debris floating around in the sand, i also sifted the sand to make sure there wasnt any BIG peices

but if i can find the crushed quartz id rather use that
Back to top Go down
typicaltony
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

3m crushed quartz Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3m crushed quartz   3m crushed quartz Icon_minitime2/13/2010, 11:01 pm

h0ngkn0t2 wrote:
Others use black sandblasting sand...you can buy those at a Tractor Supply store.

Because the sand is used for sandblasting (who would have thought...lol) the edges are a little sharp. In a community/planted tank or a non-cichlid tank that is fine, but the sand is sharp and could injure their mouths as well as puncture eggs if they were trying to scoop it off the substrate.

Now, I know folks who use it despite this fact, and they still yield pretty good results; so it's just a precaution. Just wanted to let you know the disclaimer before you ran out and bought some under my recommendation.

Approx $10 for 50 lbs...

i have white sand blasting sand and it's really not sharp at all.. it's very fine and powdery-like. I havent had a problem so far, my brevis has been fine blowing it all over the places.
Back to top Go down

3m crushed quartz Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3m crushed quartz   3m crushed quartz Icon_minitime2/13/2010, 11:09 pm

lol does it settle preety quick?
Back to top Go down

3m crushed quartz Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3m crushed quartz   3m crushed quartz Icon_minitime2/14/2010, 7:24 am

I use silica pool filter sand, the brand is 'crystal sands' The grains are larger than most sand so its very easy to use, won't stir up easy, you can vac it like you would gravel... And its not sharp at all. I get the 50lb bags for $5.50 each.... Not sure how much it would be in your area if you can find it, considering its made in FL.
Back to top Go down
Pitbull
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Pitbull

3m crushed quartz Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3m crushed quartz   3m crushed quartz Icon_minitime2/14/2010, 9:23 am

h0ngkn0t2 wrote:

Approx $10 for 50 lbs...

I agree with Hong. I use the black sandblasting sand in all my tanks and have never had problems!!!
Back to top Go down
typicaltony
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

3m crushed quartz Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3m crushed quartz   3m crushed quartz Icon_minitime2/14/2010, 9:23 pm

tim wrote:
lol does it settle preety quick?

i didnt even have to rinse mine, simply placed it in the tank and add water and took like an hour for it to clear up. The only problem you might come into having a sand substrate is that if it ever gets into the filter it will slowly eat away at the impeller.
Back to top Go down

3m crushed quartz Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3m crushed quartz   3m crushed quartz Icon_minitime2/15/2010, 9:30 am

If the inlet of your filter is 6" off the bottom you should not have that issue, I have sand in all of my tanks and the only impeller problems I get are from snails making suicide runs into it 3m crushed quartz 196631
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

Favorite Fish: :

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

3m crushed quartz Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3m crushed quartz   3m crushed quartz Icon_minitime2/15/2010, 10:10 am

hahahah thats funny!!!
i found some of FERNS sand!!!(the type she uses) and i got a 50lbs bag for bout 5 bucks at home depo!!!!!
the sand is perfect!!! nice kolor to it! not sharp!! and not messy!!! but u do have to rinse it b4 u pu it in the tank!!!

i used it in my 60 welfare tank job!!! checkk it out!!!
Back to top Go down

3m crushed quartz Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3m crushed quartz   3m crushed quartz Icon_minitime2/15/2010, 12:38 pm

3m crushed quartz 265353 I'm glad you like it! I don't think I will ever use any other kind after finding that! Its dirt cheap easy to clean and heavy enough that you can almost vac it like gravel!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

3m crushed quartz Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3m crushed quartz   3m crushed quartz Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

3m crushed quartz
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next