UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

killing plecosotmus's

Go down 
    +4
    KMX
    khrister
    Holey Rock of Texas
    jcsmit7
    8 posters
    AuthorMessage
    jcsmit7
    Sergeant 1st Class
    Sergeant 1st Class
    jcsmit7

Favorite Fish: : african cichlids

killing plecosotmus's Empty
    PostSubject: killing plecosotmus's   killing plecosotmus's Icon_minitime1/7/2010, 12:14 pm

can not seem to keep them alive but no problems with the african cichlids
    Back to top Go down
    Holey Rock of Texas
    Admin
    Admin
    Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: killing plecosotmus's   killing plecosotmus's Icon_minitime1/7/2010, 12:29 pm

pH my be your problem
    Back to top Go down
    Holey Rock of Texas
    Admin
    Admin
    Holey Rock of Texas

PostSubject: Re: killing plecosotmus's   killing plecosotmus's Icon_minitime1/7/2010, 12:29 pm

which kind are you keeping and what are you feeding them?

Last edited by Holey Rock of Texas on 1/7/2010, 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Back to top Go down
    jcsmit7
    Sergeant 1st Class
    Sergeant 1st Class
    jcsmit7

PostSubject: Re: killing plecosotmus's   killing plecosotmus's Icon_minitime1/7/2010, 12:31 pm

the hifin, feeding the same thing my cichlids are, should i be adding something else for them?
    Back to top Go down
    khrister
    USA Fishbox Sponsor
    khrister

Favorite Fish: :
    Cyphotilapia
    Cyprichromis
    Mbunas
    Fancy PL*CO

PostSubject: Re: killing plecosotmus's   killing plecosotmus's Icon_minitime1/7/2010, 12:36 pm

Ph is not suppose to be a problem if they get acclimated well.
    I have L46s that came from a 6.4-6.8 ph that are now in a Texas water hard as rock ph lol...

They can adapt well. Also check what kind of pleco you have and what kind of diet they need. Most Hypans are meat eaters, most ancistrus are veggie eaters and there are wood eating panaques.

Look it up here: ---> http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/numbers.php?mode=l&thumbs=16

Last edited by khrister on 1/7/2010, 12:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Back to top Go down
    Holey Rock of Texas
    Admin
    Admin
    Holey Rock of Texas

PostSubject: Re: killing plecosotmus's   killing plecosotmus's Icon_minitime1/7/2010, 12:37 pm

high fin i believe
    Back to top Go down
    Holey Rock of Texas
    Admin
    Admin
    Holey Rock of Texas

PostSubject: Re: killing plecosotmus's   killing plecosotmus's Icon_minitime1/7/2010, 12:39 pm

you may want to get some algae waffers and a peice of wood for the tank.
    Back to top Go down
    KMX
    Admin
    Admin
    KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: killing plecosotmus's   killing plecosotmus's Icon_minitime1/7/2010, 1:09 pm

jcsmit7 wrote:
    can not seem to keep them alive but no problems with the african cichlids

I have the oppisite problem. not that I try to kill them...just always seem to be the strong ones that adapt to water faster.
    Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: killing plecosotmus's   killing plecosotmus's Icon_minitime1/7/2010, 3:00 pm

my mother in law uses plecos to keep horse trophs clean so im preety sure they can live any were, where there is food
    Back to top Go down
    jcsmit7
    Sergeant 1st Class
    Sergeant 1st Class
    jcsmit7

PostSubject: Re: killing plecosotmus's   killing plecosotmus's Icon_minitime1/7/2010, 3:02 pm

this isn't the first one that has died on me, had some red top hongi's kill a 6 inch pleco one time, all i found of him was his skull.
    Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: killing plecosotmus's   killing plecosotmus's Icon_minitime1/7/2010, 3:04 pm

o wow lol
    Back to top Go down
    jcsmit7
    Sergeant 1st Class
    Sergeant 1st Class
    jcsmit7

PostSubject: Re: killing plecosotmus's   killing plecosotmus's Icon_minitime1/7/2010, 3:09 pm

the worst time was when i had a heater go out on a 77 gallon aquarium killing the pleco and 4 of the cichlids in there. wasn't to hurt about the pleco but the 4 cichlids at 16 a peice was not a nice suprise to wake up to.
    Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: killing plecosotmus's   killing plecosotmus's Icon_minitime1/7/2010, 4:16 pm

jcsmit7 wrote:
    this isn't the first one that has died on me, had some red top hongi's kill a 6 inch pleco one time, all i found of him was his skull.
    Once a cichlid learns how to kill a pleco you can never keep plecos in with them again, they will just kill it.
    Back to top Go down
    khrister
    USA Fishbox Sponsor
    khrister

Favorite Fish: :
    Cyphotilapia
    Cyprichromis
    Mbunas
    Fancy PL*CO

PostSubject: Re: killing plecosotmus's   killing plecosotmus's Icon_minitime1/7/2010, 4:35 pm

x2 killing plecosotmus's 858205 My Wild Caught Colony of Mobas has killed atleast 6 full grown (4-5") Bristlenose Pleco. I bought an 8 incher unknown wild caught BN and they would not even touch it lol!
    Back to top Go down
    CSnyder00
    CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

PostSubject: Re: killing plecosotmus's   killing plecosotmus's Icon_minitime1/7/2010, 4:56 pm

killing plecosotmus's 858205 It's very easy for a fish to recognize and kill an enemy. If the fish is unknown, they are weary of it for some time.
    Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: killing plecosotmus's   killing plecosotmus's Icon_minitime1/7/2010, 10:43 pm

Fern wrote:
    jcsmit7 wrote:
    Once a cichlid learns how to kill a pleco you can never keep plecos in with them again, they will just kill it.

cold blooded killing machines!
    Back to top Go down
    dano
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major
    dano

PostSubject: Re: killing plecosotmus's   killing plecosotmus's Icon_minitime1/8/2010, 1:35 pm

High pH and hard water are not good for plecostomos cats
    Back to top Go down
    chriskelley2005
    Private First Class
    Private First Class
    chriskelley2005

Favorite Fish: : Oscar, convicts large plecos

PostSubject: Re: killing plecosotmus's   killing plecosotmus's Icon_minitime1/9/2010, 1:28 pm

if u wanna make a trip to houston ill give u one of mine i have about 3 im guessing common plecos that are about 18in and those are the hardiestt ones i have ever owned i dont think u could kill them if u wanted. i recently moved and took down my tanks got to the new house filled he tanks up through those suckers in there and they are still going strong
    Back to top Go down
    philuponthepho
    Captain
    Captain
    philuponthepho

Favorite Fish: : Anything I can afford (which is $0)

PostSubject: Re: killing plecosotmus's   killing plecosotmus's Icon_minitime1/9/2010, 2:16 pm

Wow, usually plecos can survive ANYTHING! My gpa accidently left my lightbulb on for 3 days (camping) on a 10g and the temp read 103 when I got to it. Smelled like fish soup lol! Dumped everything out onto the lawn and saw him still squirming. To this date, he is 9" in cousins tank and has survive vicious attacks from Red Devil.

Another story I have is my neighbor when I was 10. His pleco in his pond killed 3 fish so he threw it out on the ground. 2 days later, still alive. Took a hammer and beat it to death.
    Back to top Go down
    Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: killing plecosotmus's   killing plecosotmus's Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

killing plecosotmus's
    Page 1 of 1