UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Need Opinions Please :)

Go down 
+2
philuponthepho
Raschael
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Raschael
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Raschael

Need Opinions Please :) Empty
PostSubject: Need Opinions Please :)   Need Opinions Please :) Icon_minitime1/2/2010, 4:32 pm

Okay, we are hoping to get a 125g to move our Malawi's into, however, I want to be positive our floors can handle the weight of the tank, stand, water, sand, and lots of rocks. If you have seen our 75, you know its A LOT of rocks. So, I live in a pier and beam house built in 1954. It has the original oak wood floor. What does everyone think?? Am I good? Should I put some support under the house? Thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
philuponthepho
Captain
Captain
philuponthepho

Favorite Fish: : Anything I can afford (which is $0)

PostSubject: Re: Need Opinions Please :)   Need Opinions Please :) Icon_minitime1/2/2010, 4:36 pm

Oak is strong so yes!
Back to top Go down
cichlid mania
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4

PostSubject: Re: Need Opinions Please :)   Need Opinions Please :) Icon_minitime1/2/2010, 5:01 pm

I agree....Oak is extremely strong.....
Back to top Go down
TanyaQ2000
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
TanyaQ2000

Favorite Fish: : Discus, mollies, dojos & oscars

PostSubject: Re: Need Opinions Please :)   Need Opinions Please :) Icon_minitime1/2/2010, 7:30 pm

here's the question: where are the floor joists positioned under the tank? the fact that you have oak flooring has nothing to do with the house's structure and ability to hold this much weight. i would highly recommend crawling under the house and looking at the joist layout. built in 54 is mostly likely better than built today but reinforcement is definitely something you should look into - husband was a home builder in a previous life
Back to top Go down
Raschael
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Raschael

PostSubject: Re: Need Opinions Please :)   Need Opinions Please :) Icon_minitime1/2/2010, 7:33 pm

We would place the tank perpendicular to the joists so that the weight is distributed among numerous beams and not just one.
Back to top Go down
TanyaQ2000
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
TanyaQ2000

Favorite Fish: : Discus, mollies, dojos & oscars

PostSubject: Re: Need Opinions Please :)   Need Opinions Please :) Icon_minitime1/2/2010, 7:39 pm

should be ok then yes
Back to top Go down
Raschael
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Raschael

PostSubject: Re: Need Opinions Please :)   Need Opinions Please :) Icon_minitime1/2/2010, 8:10 pm

I suppose I should add. . . it is going to be on an outside wall, so there should be some concrete under it too.
Back to top Go down
hydrodmg
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

Favorite Fish: : broiled or grilled just not fried

PostSubject: Re: Need Opinions Please :)   Need Opinions Please :) Icon_minitime1/2/2010, 9:05 pm

support it it will hold but over time it will sag besides what size are your floor joists
not utd on your building codes 2x6 2x8 2x10 and how long?

Need Opinions Please :) Noncer10
Back to top Go down
Rachael0805
Captain
Captain
Rachael0805

Favorite Fish: : Red Devil, Red Terror, Green Terror...

PostSubject: Re: Need Opinions Please :)   Need Opinions Please :) Icon_minitime1/2/2010, 10:20 pm

I live in a house exactly like what you described. I have a 135gl and A LOT of rocks and I have had no problems. The tank is on an outside wall as well. I was concerned about the same thing but we have not experienced any issues so far. We checked to see if there was sagging with a level about a month ago and everything looked great.
Back to top Go down
Raschael
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Raschael

PostSubject: Re: Need Opinions Please :)   Need Opinions Please :) Icon_minitime1/3/2010, 2:47 pm

Thanks so much everyone! We will only be in the house another couple years but we will keep an eye on the floor. If it looks to be having issues, we will be sure to get under the house and put some jacks under there. Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
Raschael
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Raschael

PostSubject: Re: Need Opinions Please :)   Need Opinions Please :) Icon_minitime1/3/2010, 5:22 pm

Change of plans. We wanted the 125 in the living room so it could be seen. . so it will be against a load bearing wall but still perpendicular to the beams. Should still be okay.. . . I would think. . . .
Back to top Go down
Rachael0805
Captain
Captain
Rachael0805

Favorite Fish: : Red Devil, Red Terror, Green Terror...

PostSubject: Re: Need Opinions Please :)   Need Opinions Please :) Icon_minitime1/3/2010, 7:35 pm

What do you mean by load bearing?
Back to top Go down
Raschael
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Raschael

PostSubject: Re: Need Opinions Please :)   Need Opinions Please :) Icon_minitime1/3/2010, 7:48 pm

Actually. . .after sticking my head under the house to make sure the 2x6's are going the way we "thought" they were. . . we discovered we were wrong. Oops!! so we had to change plans again. There is plenty of support under the house, at least it looks like it to me. There are staggered groups of 3 boards(looked like 2x6's) placed about every 2 feet apart running from front to back of the house. Then large beams running from side to side. Make sense?? Not to mention our hardwood floors are over an inch thick on their own. They used pretty sturdy stuff in 1954! I was surprised!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Need Opinions Please :)   Need Opinions Please :) Icon_minitime1/4/2010, 7:32 am

I would add a few uprights under where the tank will be just to be on the safe side. 1 gal of water = 8.5ish pounds.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need Opinions Please :)   Need Opinions Please :) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need Opinions Please :)
Page 1 of 1