UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

I think i have fin rot?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
micahsutton
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
micahsutton

Favorite Fish: : Golden Nugget Pleco, Lemon Jake, Red Top Lwanda, Aulonocara Baenschi, Otopharynx Lithobates, and Frontosa's.

I think i have fin rot? Empty
PostSubject: I think i have fin rot?   I think i have fin rot? Icon_minitime12/15/2009, 11:50 am

Ok so i have lost one fish this week and notice when i was flushing him that his fins were seperated? after looking at my other fish there is about 3 or 4 that have the back and side fins split right down the middle. Any help and suggestions on what to do would help. I have a 90g, 7.8 ph, use malawi buffer salt, have mostly peacocks and a few haps. Its the peacocks i am having issues with. Also one of them have some white on its tail and its disappearing?
Back to top Go down
micahsutton
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
micahsutton

Favorite Fish: : Golden Nugget Pleco, Lemon Jake, Red Top Lwanda, Aulonocara Baenschi, Otopharynx Lithobates, and Frontosa's.

PostSubject: Re: I think i have fin rot?   I think i have fin rot? Icon_minitime12/15/2009, 12:46 pm

If any has experience with it what do you use that works the best? I always use jungle tablets for ich but i have never had fin rot. What usually causes it?
Back to top Go down
ilicurtisili
Admin
Admin
ilicurtisili

PostSubject: Re: I think i have fin rot?   I think i have fin rot? Icon_minitime12/15/2009, 12:48 pm

are u positive its fin rott?

worthlesswopic
Back to top Go down
chicknefoot87
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
chicknefoot87

Favorite Fish: : Goldfish and Koi! I have to represent for the serious goldfish hobbyist.

PostSubject: Re: I think i have fin rot?   I think i have fin rot? Icon_minitime12/15/2009, 1:07 pm

White edges on the fins sounds like fin rot to me. You could use Melafix, it should clear up.
Back to top Go down
micahsutton
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
micahsutton

PostSubject: Re: I think i have fin rot?   I think i have fin rot? Icon_minitime12/15/2009, 1:13 pm

ilicurtisili wrote:
are u positive its fin rott?

worthlesswopic

Pretty sure i will try to get some pics when i get home but it is hard because the one's i know are infected are hanging in the back of the tank so the pic comes out horrible.
Back to top Go down
chicknefoot87
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
chicknefoot87

Favorite Fish: : Goldfish and Koi! I have to represent for the serious goldfish hobbyist.

PostSubject: Re: I think i have fin rot?   I think i have fin rot? Icon_minitime12/15/2009, 1:17 pm

If its not too bad you can just increase the amount of water changes that you do and it will heal on its own. If its pretty bad (I'm assuming it is because it has killed fish) Then you can use Melafix or a similar medication. The API powdered medication you can get at PetSmart work REALLY well.

Fin rot is caused by dirty water so try to do more water changes in the future or up the amount of filtration in your tank.
Back to top Go down
micahsutton
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
micahsutton

PostSubject: Re: I think i have fin rot?   I think i have fin rot? Icon_minitime12/15/2009, 1:36 pm

Thats the weird thing i have been doing water changes every week because i am trying to raise the ph to 8.2. Also i have to aquaclear 110's for a 90g. I have never had any problems until the swith to malawi?
Back to top Go down
chicknefoot87
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
chicknefoot87

PostSubject: Re: I think i have fin rot?   I think i have fin rot? Icon_minitime12/15/2009, 1:44 pm

That's weird... When you get some pictures up it will be easier to tell whats goign on. I would still start with the Melafix ASAP.
Back to top Go down
micahsutton
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
micahsutton

PostSubject: Re: I think i have fin rot?   I think i have fin rot? Icon_minitime12/15/2009, 1:50 pm

ya i was definately pllanning on medicating tonight... it just makes me sad i was going to add my frontosa's this week but now i am scared to add anything. Also just to help out th one that die was an albino and the one that is doing real bad right now is also an albino. Both are peacocks.
Back to top Go down
dano
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
dano

PostSubject: Re: I think i have fin rot?   I think i have fin rot? Icon_minitime12/15/2009, 11:00 pm

Fin rot is a bacterial infection......Melafix and Primafix are too weak a solution for advanced diseases of any kind.....Damaged fins from nipping or fighting can become infected and you have two options: Keep the fish separated in very good water or medicate with an antibiotic.......Maracyn or Maracyn II seem to affect the bio system less than other antibiotics, but in any case should be used as a last resort.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I think i have fin rot?   I think i have fin rot? Icon_minitime12/16/2009, 7:26 am

Um, what are you using to raise your PH?
Please tell me you aren't using the liquid stuff!! If you are that's half your problem. The liquid PH up stuff causes rapid swings in PH that greatly weaken a fishes immune system from stress. If you need to raise them PH use crushed coral shells or limestone nothing else.
Conversely the only safe way to lower PH is with wood or peat.
Back to top Go down
micahsutton
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
micahsutton

PostSubject: Re: I think i have fin rot?   I think i have fin rot? Icon_minitime12/16/2009, 10:16 am

No i use the API powder and what i have been doing is doing 20 gallon water changes and adding the 8.2 powder to the new 20 gallons before i put it in the tank. My tap water is 6.8 ph. So i have no choice but to do this. I have some driftwood in my tank do you think that is what causing my PH to drop all the time? it a very small piece for the size of my tank. But i have no coral and all my decorations are artificial...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I think i have fin rot?   I think i have fin rot? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I think i have fin rot?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
UsaFishBox :: :: Freshwater Aquaria :: Diseases and Disasters-
Jump to: