UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

New way to remove chlorine

Go down 
    4 posters
    AuthorMessage
    D.Gray
    Staff Sergeant
    Staff Sergeant
    D.Gray

Favorite Fish: : live ones.. And shrimp.

New way to remove chlorine Empty
    PostSubject: New way to remove chlorine   New way to remove chlorine Icon_minitime10/24/2012, 7:32 pm

I learned of a new way to remove chlorine from water without using water conditioners which is healthier for the fish.

Test your water for chlorine with an Oto chlorine test kit (Oto is the name of the reagent not the brand name), and if you have chlorine you crush 1000mg of vitamin C and disolve it in a small jar of tank water and put in your tank. This will treat 50 gallons of water so 500mg for 25 gallon tank, etc....

The vitamin C causes the Chlorine to break the bond with the water and evaporate out of the water.

if you are preparing water for a water change just put an air stone in the bucket of water and add your vitamin C.

Dave
    Back to top Go down
    Dr. Who
    First Lieutenant
    First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: New way to remove chlorine   New way to remove chlorine Icon_minitime10/24/2012, 8:32 pm

Thats good but most water companies use cloramanes sp. That leave the amonia behind.
    Back to top Go down
    D.Gray
    Staff Sergeant
    Staff Sergeant
    D.Gray

PostSubject: Re: New way to remove chlorine   New way to remove chlorine Icon_minitime10/24/2012, 8:46 pm

This method also gets rid of chloramine leaving only trace amonia wich will break down with the nitrification cycle.

The Asorbic Acid in the Vitamin C is what makes it work.

This was used to rid chlorine/chloramine before the days of activated carbon on Kidney Dialysis proceedures.

Dave
    Back to top Go down
    KingBichir
    Admin
    Admin
    KingBichir

Favorite Fish: : all of them

PostSubject: Re: New way to remove chlorine   New way to remove chlorine Icon_minitime10/24/2012, 9:04 pm

im going to try this out this weekend
    Back to top Go down
    Dr. Who
    First Lieutenant
    First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: New way to remove chlorine   New way to remove chlorine Icon_minitime10/24/2012, 9:22 pm

I don't have that problem since I have my own 4" well.
    Back to top Go down
    D.Gray
    Staff Sergeant
    Staff Sergeant
    D.Gray

PostSubject: Re: New way to remove chlorine   New way to remove chlorine Icon_minitime10/24/2012, 10:28 pm

Dr. Who wrote:
    I don't have that problem since I have my own 4" well.

unfortunately I am on city water. moderately hard, 10ppm nitrate, but not alot of chlorine and no chloramine.

Well water is very hard around here and not suitable for aquariums, and is way high in nitrate due to the dairy and feed lots.

Dave
    Back to top Go down
    lonestarbandit
    Private First Class
    Private First Class
    lonestarbandit

PostSubject: Re: New way to remove chlorine   New way to remove chlorine Icon_minitime10/26/2012, 8:42 am

interesting. I May try this rather then pouring in expensive aquasafe
    since I run 3x 55 and a 20. Gets expensive ever time I do weekly water changes.
    . usafishbox
    Back to top Go down
    D.Gray
    Staff Sergeant
    Staff Sergeant
    D.Gray

PostSubject: Re: New way to remove chlorine   New way to remove chlorine Icon_minitime10/26/2012, 9:45 am

make sure to test for chlorine if you do with a chlorine test kit (available at Ace hardware for under $6.00)
    Back to top Go down
    Dr. Who
    First Lieutenant
    First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: New way to remove chlorine   New way to remove chlorine Icon_minitime10/26/2012, 11:30 pm

My water is very high in hardness and high in Ph(7.8). Very stable water. I have 3 different aquafiers underground and I draw from the bottom one.
    Back to top Go down
    Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New way to remove chlorine   New way to remove chlorine Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New way to remove chlorine
    Page 1 of 1