UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Has anyone heard of this happening?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
sallywally
Private First Class
Private First Class

Favorite Fish: : Tons - freshwater, no cichlids or salt yet. I have these tanks: 30 gal - tetras (neon, bloodfin, diamond, one Bosemani rainbow female
20 gal high - 6 choprae danio, cycling, mostly done
10 gal quarantine - 1 turquoise, 1 macie and 2 dwarf Rainbows, 3 black kuhli loarches quarantine from a tank that had gotten sick; will go into my community tetra tank and the 20 high when all is confirmed to be ok.
Have set up my 20 gal long for an oranda goldfish; she'd be in there now if the store hadn't dropped her and now we don't know if she'll make it....look to put two orandas in my 40 breeder when I get it set up!
Also looking at getting a 27 gal cube and stand on sale and Petsmart but don't know where I'd put it!

Has anyone heard of this happening? Empty
PostSubject: Has anyone heard of this happening?   Has anyone heard of this happening? Icon_minitime8/22/2012, 11:40 am

My fish who was dropped by Pet Supplies Plus and was sent to the vet turned black and her face swelled up so that one eye is completely covered within about 24 hours. She was put on Tetramycin and StressCoat+ and they hope it's that antibiotic that did this.

She also lost about half her weight. She's not a round little fish now.

I just put the question into the store about when these changes happened. The manager who oversaw this went on vacation right after I picked her up.

She is doing great! Swimming around and grazing for food. I gave her another dose of Tetramycin this morning and another will come tomorrow. Keeping up the twice-daily StressCoat+. She is very into eating.

Has anyone heard of something like this happening? Is it plausible? Could my fish have died and they replaced it with another one?

Just wondering.....
Back to top Go down
Dr. Who
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone heard of this happening?   Has anyone heard of this happening? Icon_minitime8/22/2012, 5:53 pm

Most stores don't employ vets. Very few vets know fish. Fish are drop all the time. Most time you don't see it happen. The only fish I know that can't handle being drop is an elephant nose. I don't think what your being told about the meds and stresscoat is helping. I think its a way of making you feel good and to generate sales.
Back to top Go down
sassynurse2
sassynurse2

Favorite Fish: : 2 Clown Loaches...
Blue Dolphins 10.

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone heard of this happening?   Has anyone heard of this happening? Icon_minitime8/22/2012, 6:08 pm

And they might have changed the fish on you.
Back to top Go down
sallywally
Private First Class
Private First Class

Favorite Fish: : Tons - freshwater, no cichlids or salt yet. I have these tanks: 30 gal - tetras (neon, bloodfin, diamond, one Bosemani rainbow female
10 gal quarantine - 1 turquoise, 1 macie and 2 dwarf Rainbows, 3 black kuhli loarches quarantine from a tank that had gotten sick; will go into my community tetra tank and the 20 high when all is confirmed to be ok.
Have set up my 20 gal long for an oranda goldfish; she'd be in there now if the store hadn't dropped her and now we don't know if she'll make it....look to put two orandas in my 40 breeder when I get it set up!
Also looking at getting a 27 gal cube and stand on sale and Petsmart but don't know where I'd put it!

PostSubject: I was afraid it wasn't the same fish...   Has anyone heard of this happening? Icon_minitime8/22/2012, 8:23 pm

but would that mean she died?
Back to top Go down
sassynurse2
sassynurse2

Favorite Fish: : 2 Clown Loaches...
Blue Dolphins 10.

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone heard of this happening?   Has anyone heard of this happening? Icon_minitime8/23/2012, 9:45 am

It is possible, yet I can't truly say that.It just struck me strange that you notice a variety of differences in your new baby. Like the weight difference, color change.The substitute to keep you from returning a fish in the 14 day grace period or whatever the store offers. And could be the manager saw how emotional you were over that fish and wanted to make you feel whole.
Back to top Go down
sallywally
Private First Class
Private First Class

PostSubject: Any of those could be the case.   Has anyone heard of this happening? Icon_minitime8/23/2012, 2:34 pm

No one there "knows anything" of course, and the manager who handled it will be off until next Thurs, and I suppose he probably won't have the information.

She said I could return the fish, but the fish isn't really ok - does look like she could've had a trauma. I guess I don't want to take it/her back because I doubt she could be sold and I don't want to be the agent of her demise. Especially if there is any chance it's my baby. I'm thinking this fish would be euthanized if I return it. I don't want to be ruthless that way.

I'm pretty much persona non grata there, so I doubt I'll ever find out what happened. But really, they should be able to give me information.

Oh well. Just babbling.

fish cry but on the other hand, fish

Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

Favorite Fish: : Kribensis

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone heard of this happening?   Has anyone heard of this happening? Icon_minitime8/23/2012, 7:50 pm

well i did replace a fish once at the behest of a worried parent. the details were obviously to spare her child the lessons of life and death cycles.

but in your case i can definately sense something fishy. fish dont often make miraculous recoveries when they are courting Death so near his door scream mask

but anything is possible. whether they swept the issue under the rug or not.... in the end you do have a healthy lively fish in your possession that for all intents and purposes is physically identical
Back to top Go down
sallywally
Private First Class
Private First Class

PostSubject: You are right.   Has anyone heard of this happening? Icon_minitime8/23/2012, 9:12 pm

This fish has cute proportions, I will admit, and certainly loves to eat and root around in the substrate. I put a couple of live plants in the tank to see if she'd like to dig them up, but I think I've got them in there strongly enough.

If they did switch fish, this may not be one I'd have bought, but she seems to be doing well so perhaps I can let it go. Eventually, once the tank is definitely cycled and settled in, I want to get her a buddy and in time move them to my 40 gal breeder.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone heard of this happening?   Has anyone heard of this happening? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Has anyone heard of this happening?
Page 1 of 1