UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

Help!

Go down 
+3
Holey Rock of Texas
strawman1985
witamygreatdanes
7 posters
AuthorMessage
witamygreatdanes
Private
Private

Help! Empty
PostSubject: Help!   Help! Icon_minitime8/10/2012, 9:11 pm

Hi. I just got a tank and I have several types of fish in it and another tank that I bought with the intention of putting the "new" fish in it, but it is filthy and I don't know how to clean it...two topics here I guess. First of all, I have five python island cichlids, they are small. I have an electric blue ahli (I love him) 1 blue acei, 3 yellow labs, 3 orange ones, and then 5 odessa barbs (I don't like them at all) but they came with the tank. 2 plecos, 3 little catfish (cory's I think) I really want to get "rid" of the odessa barbs badly, but don't know how to go about it. I don't even know for sure what kind of fish they are. I only want cichlids, but I'm honestly not sure what kind I have; African or American or anything to be honest...

The fish tank...clouded with white stuff, dry...hard water maybe? What to clean it with so I can get it set up and separate some of these fish.

Thanks for any help!!!

Kathy
Back to top Go down
strawman1985
strawman1985

Favorite Fish: : Jack Dempsey...Red Tail Shark... Severum... Raphael Cat...Cardinals...Cory's... Hy511's There are many more as well

Help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help!   Help! Icon_minitime8/10/2012, 9:28 pm

Im pretty sure you can clean the clouded tank with vinegar. The cichlids sound African. I know the labs and acei are for certain. What size tanks are these? Python Island cichlid is african as well.
Back to top Go down
strawman1985
strawman1985

Favorite Fish: : Jack Dempsey...Red Tail Shark... Severum... Raphael Cat...Cardinals...Cory's... Hy511's There are many more as well

Help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help!   Help! Icon_minitime8/10/2012, 9:33 pm

The Odessa's might could be traded at a local pet store for something possibly?
Back to top Go down
witamygreatdanes
Private
Private

Help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help!   Help! Icon_minitime8/10/2012, 10:14 pm

Right now they are in a 40, but I am picking up a 55 gallon tomorrow and the one that needs to be cleaned is a 30 long (I think) My plan is to separate most of them and get rid of the Odessa Barbs. Odessa Barbs are not cichlids at all, are they? Thank you for your information. :) I never thought of vinegar. :)
Back to top Go down
strawman1985
strawman1985

Help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help!   Help! Icon_minitime8/10/2012, 11:12 pm

Nope they are not cichlids, they are native to Taiwan I believe. They are in the Cyprinidae family and you are very welcome. Make sure to rinse it very well after using the vinegar.
Back to top Go down
witamygreatdanes
Private
Private

Help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help!   Help! Icon_minitime8/11/2012, 4:24 am

Ok, will do! Thanks so much for your info! I will check around for a fish store that might trade for the Odessa Barbs. I actually got the first tank to get Oscars, but that kind of went by the wayside when I ended up with all these other fish. :)

They are pretty nice over all and the Electric Blue Ahli is nearly as friendly as an Oscar, but I will get a couple of Oscars eventually. :)
Back to top Go down
strawman1985
strawman1985

Help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help!   Help! Icon_minitime8/11/2012, 10:19 am

You're very welcome, glad to help and welcome to the Fishbox :) Oscars are pretty neat. I've done lots with central american and south american cichlids but I am currently working on getting an African set up going right now. We love seeing pics if you ever want to post some on here. :)
Back to top Go down
witamygreatdanes
Private
Private

Help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help!   Help! Icon_minitime8/11/2012, 10:48 am

Ok. Too bad you are so far away... I have a couple of yellow labs and a couple of the orange ones you could have. :) LOL.. maybe even the python island ones. :) Tho they are FINALLY starting to get some color.

Oscars are my favorite... they are cichlids too, right? :)
Back to top Go down
strawman1985
strawman1985

Help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help!   Help! Icon_minitime8/11/2012, 10:51 am

Yep, it is a south american cichlid. No worries, I an still kinda cycling my tank anyways and need some more rock structure. :)
Back to top Go down
witamygreatdanes
Private
Private

Help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help!   Help! Icon_minitime8/11/2012, 11:09 am

I need to learn a LOT more about caring for aquariums too. Last time I had a tank, all I had to do was add water and go. :) Now there is a PH balance that I don't know anything about. One thing I am learning is that these fish are violent to their plants. They keep uprooting mine. :) I am tempted to go with plastic with rocks on the bottom just to keep them in the gravel.
Back to top Go down
strawman1985
strawman1985

Help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help!   Help! Icon_minitime8/11/2012, 11:18 am

Yea cichlids do not like plants... they will destroy them usually.
Back to top Go down
witamygreatdanes
Private
Private

Help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help!   Help! Icon_minitime8/11/2012, 11:23 am

Well, I have learned that. LOL.. So rocks are a better choice then? Or are plastic plants ok? What would be best to go with, in your opinion? Which I already value!!! Thank you!
Back to top Go down
strawman1985
strawman1985

Help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help!   Help! Icon_minitime8/11/2012, 11:26 am

In mine I have a lot or rock structures. Plastic plants are perfectly fine. With african's it is a good idea to have a lot of hiding places. Things such as holey rock, lava rock and you can make caves with slate rock. Some people even use clay flower pots. You're welcome!
Back to top Go down
witamygreatdanes
Private
Private

Help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help!   Help! Icon_minitime8/11/2012, 11:37 am

I have noticed that. I have one clay flower pot right now and they seem to move it around a lot. I'm working on getting more stuff in there for them.
Back to top Go down
strawman1985
strawman1985

Help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help!   Help! Icon_minitime8/11/2012, 11:38 am

Awesome! Hope it works out great :)
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

Help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help!   Help! Icon_minitime8/13/2012, 2:53 pm

i recommend holey rock lol.
Back to top Go down
witamygreatdanes
Private
Private

Help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help!   Help! Icon_minitime8/13/2012, 2:56 pm

Ok, thanks!
Back to top Go down
strawman1985
strawman1985

Help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help!   Help! Icon_minitime8/13/2012, 3:33 pm

Holey Rock of Texas wrote:
i recommend holey rock lol.
good
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

Help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help!   Help! Icon_minitime8/19/2012, 3:22 pm

strawman1985 wrote:

Actually, cichlids LOOOOOOOVVVVVEEEEEE plants! Just add a little fish food for seasoning and dig right into the salad! lol!

I did really well with a mix of large fake plants and rocky caves. Made for a very nice looking Mbuna tank. Even manged to eventually hide some Amazon Swords in with the fake plants without being noticed.
Back to top Go down
analaloca
Private
Private
analaloca

Favorite Fish: : Marbled Crayfish

Help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help!   Help! Icon_minitime8/19/2012, 8:02 pm

2SciCrazed wrote:
strawman1985 wrote:

Actually, cichlids LOOOOOOOVVVVVEEEEEE plants! Just add a little fish food for seasoning and dig right into the salad! lol!

I did really well with a mix of large fake plants and rocky caves. Made for a very nice looking Mbuna tank. Even manged to eventually hide some Amazon Swords in with the fake plants without being noticed.
javascript:emoticonp('yes')
Back to top Go down
analaloca
Private
Private
analaloca

Favorite Fish: : Marbled Crayfish

Help! Empty
PostSubject: plants    Help! Icon_minitime8/19/2012, 8:12 pm

cichlids will re-arrange what they can move for a while. once everyone has thier comfy spots....could take a week or more depending on the size of coarse. Sneak real plants in where the fake ones have been moved too.... No promises,, floating plants would work best. They like to hunt for dinner, they get a work out you get a chance to see the prey run. woof woof

Oh yeah Holey Rock ROCKS !
Back to top Go down
Yeti
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, Mbuna & Haps/Peacocks
Bitten by the saltbug

Help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help!   Help! Icon_minitime8/20/2012, 1:45 am

Holey Rock, and more holey rock. I have 3 layers of holey rock in one corner of my Mbuna tank, and 2 layers across the rest of the tank, in a 55G tank. This allows them to have almost 2 passage ways at the rear of the tank, along with entrance and exits, through the rock.
Rock goes up to about 2/3rds the height of the tank, then I have some artificial plants (Hobby Lobby/Micheals) planted in the back, but over hanging the rock, to give an alternative area.

So about half the depth, front to back, of the tank is open water, and the rest is scenery, refuge.
In this tank I have 6 fish, all but one are 5 years old (alas lost 2 in the last year). The Kenyi is boss, his one remaining bride has holes to escape his attention, and the others can come out or scoot as they wish.
I also have plant pots in corners, and have even used some black coffee mugs, hidden under rocks, to make caves.
As you can tell, I work on the minimum fish per tank theory.
Back to top Go down
fishingexperta
Private
Private
fishingexperta

Favorite Fish: : All those people who want to book a boat to enjoy their Puerto Vallarta fishing, Cabo Fishing, Cancun Fishing, Playa del Carmen Fishing, Cozumel Fishing, Isla Mujeres Fishing, Mazatlan Fishing, Mexico Fishing, Panama Fishing, Costa Rica Fishing trip can visit Fishing Reservation Central.

Help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help!   Help! Icon_minitime8/22/2012, 10:56 pm

Vinegar Is the west way to clean up your fish tank, but you need to carefully clean it and wash it with water. the one thing is that you should put all your fish in another tank or bucket before to clean the fish tank....so be carefully....
.........................................................................................................................

Cancun Fishing
Playa del Carmen Fishing
Isla Mujeres Fishing

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help!   Help! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
UsaFishBox :: :: Freshwater Aquaria :: General Freshwater Fish Discussion-