UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

ELECTRIC POWERED GRAVEL VAC

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Flippercon
Flippercon

Favorite Fish: : Electric Blue Rocio Octofasciata

ELECTRIC  POWERED GRAVEL VAC Empty
PostSubject: ELECTRIC POWERED GRAVEL VAC   ELECTRIC  POWERED GRAVEL VAC Icon_minitime12/18/2011, 7:33 pm

Has any one used these? Seems like a simple design.

http://wrightwayaquariumproducts.com/

**********USAfishbox.com*************

My Tanks
https://www.youtube.com/user/flippercon84/videos
Back to top Go down
Dr. Who
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: ELECTRIC POWERED GRAVEL VAC   ELECTRIC  POWERED GRAVEL VAC Icon_minitime12/18/2011, 7:48 pm

No I haven't used it. Comment electricity and water don't mix well. I use no electricity around water in my business.
Back to top Go down
fishface30
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Angelfish, Rummynose Tetras

PostSubject: Re: ELECTRIC POWERED GRAVEL VAC   ELECTRIC  POWERED GRAVEL VAC Icon_minitime12/18/2011, 10:10 pm

seems like you could DIY something similar using a powerhead. I don't know what the advantages of using this vs. a regular python using siphon power would be.
Back to top Go down
Flippercon
Flippercon

PostSubject: Re: ELECTRIC POWERED GRAVEL VAC   ELECTRIC  POWERED GRAVEL VAC Icon_minitime12/18/2011, 10:15 pm

That's what i was thinking. The advantage would be not running water while draining, without losing too much time. A lot better for my tanks on ground level.

My Tanks
Back to top Go down
fishface30
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: ELECTRIC POWERED GRAVEL VAC   ELECTRIC  POWERED GRAVEL VAC Icon_minitime12/18/2011, 10:33 pm

ah yes tanks on ground level would be harder to siphon out, even with the water on. now that i can see the advantage to a powered vac. defnintely DIY it, looks simple enough.
Back to top Go down
lifeisgood
Captain
Captain
lifeisgood

Favorite Fish: : My Favorites are the Pleco's and Cory Cats . BUT , I have 44 running Tanks at this time . I keep 3 kinds of Shellies , several types of Pleco's ( mostly Ancistrus ), Cichlids , Crays , Angels , LB's , and some local species .

PostSubject: Re: ELECTRIC POWERED GRAVEL VAC   ELECTRIC  POWERED GRAVEL VAC Icon_minitime12/19/2011, 4:45 am

I just don't see it . I use a python and it works fine even at " ground level " tanks .
B-4 Python , siphoning ground level tanks was a bear !! Heck , dragging buckets was a bear ! Thank you Python !
Back to top Go down
sassynurse2
sassynurse2

Favorite Fish: : 2 Clown Loaches...
Blue Dolphins 10.

PostSubject: Re: ELECTRIC POWERED GRAVEL VAC   ELECTRIC  POWERED GRAVEL VAC Icon_minitime12/19/2011, 4:51 am

Interesting I use a simple fountain pump to clean my tanks. Plus another fishy person uses a powerhead system like this hmmmm I wounder if he knows a patent is pending lol.

ELECTRIC  POWERED GRAVEL VAC 395554 ELECTRIC  POWERED GRAVEL VAC CMSIG
Back to top Go down
Flippercon
Flippercon

PostSubject: Re: ELECTRIC POWERED GRAVEL VAC   ELECTRIC  POWERED GRAVEL VAC Icon_minitime12/19/2011, 5:11 am

I saw an ad on Craigslist.... Thats where I found it. It is simple but is there a way to make it so water is not removed, and just cleaned?

My Tanks

Last edited by Flippercon on 12/19/2011, 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lifeisgood
Captain
Captain
lifeisgood

Favorite Fish: : My Favorites are the Pleco's and Cory Cats . BUT , I have 44 running Tanks at this time . I keep 3 kinds of Shellies , several types of Pleco's ( mostly Ancistrus ), Cichlids , Crays , Angels , LB's , and some local species .

PostSubject: Re: ELECTRIC POWERED GRAVEL VAC   ELECTRIC  POWERED GRAVEL VAC Icon_minitime12/19/2011, 5:16 am

I used , once upon a time , a battery powered vac that worked for bare bottom tanks but sucked at gravel cleaning .
Basically it was a hand held pump with a very fine meshed bag attached to the outlet ( that was under water also ) and all this was attached to a tube.
Basically it sucked ! ( pun intended )
Back to top Go down
Flippercon
Flippercon

PostSubject: Re: ELECTRIC POWERED GRAVEL VAC   ELECTRIC  POWERED GRAVEL VAC Icon_minitime12/19/2011, 5:34 am

Well there is a version that Eheim makes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhFObTRuktE
I havent used one myself,at $50 my python works fine. A powerhead is pretty cheap so I might go that route, unless someone swears by one of these products.

My Tanks
Back to top Go down
nick a
Sergeant
Sergeant
nick a

PostSubject: Re: ELECTRIC POWERED GRAVEL VAC   ELECTRIC  POWERED GRAVEL VAC Icon_minitime12/19/2011, 8:49 am

That's essentially the same thing i built years ago when I had a lot of tanks/vats sitting on the floor. My version was specific for fry tanks---i didn't want a big honking device in the tank that might suck up my babies!!!!

The only real difference is that their power head is mounted direcly to the suction tube while with mine they're separated.

ELECTRIC  POWERED GRAVEL VAC Pbucket
ELECTRIC  POWERED GRAVEL VAC Pbucket
Back to top Go down
Flippercon
Flippercon

PostSubject: Re: ELECTRIC POWERED GRAVEL VAC   ELECTRIC  POWERED GRAVEL VAC Icon_minitime12/19/2011, 10:24 am

Is there a link for this? Nice design.

My Tanks
Back to top Go down
fishface30
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: ELECTRIC POWERED GRAVEL VAC   ELECTRIC  POWERED GRAVEL VAC Icon_minitime12/19/2011, 1:28 pm

you could tie a fine mesh/cloth bag to the output of the powerhead to "filter" the suctioned water. I remember seeing a battery operated gravel vac like this, it just cleans the gravel without taking water out of the tank.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ELECTRIC POWERED GRAVEL VAC   ELECTRIC  POWERED GRAVEL VAC Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ELECTRIC POWERED GRAVEL VAC
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
UsaFishBox :: :: Freshwater Aquaria :: Chemistry and Aquarium Equipment-
Jump to: