UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

A hypothetical question...

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Meredith
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Meredith

Favorite Fish: : As far as fresh water goes, it's Bettas!
For marine fish; Firefish, Cardinalfish, Gobies, Dragonets, and Sharks...

A hypothetical question... Empty
PostSubject: A hypothetical question...   A hypothetical question... Icon_minitime10/25/2011, 7:33 pm

So, if...hypothetically....a person were to notice a patch of what appears to be dinoflagellates on a section of substrate in their tank, what would you guys suggest that this person do to remove it...hypothetically of course. crazy
Back to top Go down
Terry
Captain
Captain
Terry

PostSubject: Re: A hypothetical question...   A hypothetical question... Icon_minitime10/25/2011, 7:49 pm

Not sure removing them would do much good. They are just a part of a new salt setup. Sure you can try and siphon them out.
Back to top Go down
Meredith
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Meredith

PostSubject: Re: A hypothetical question...   A hypothetical question... Icon_minitime10/25/2011, 8:48 pm

I knew the cyano was supposed to come after the diatoms....haven't seen cyano yet, just the dino. Uh, hypothetically. lol!
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

PostSubject: Re: A hypothetical question...   A hypothetical question... Icon_minitime10/26/2011, 2:10 am

all new tanks get Diatoms and then there's the dreaded Cyano bacteria, they both can show up anytime due to many factors like over feeding,excess nutrients,excess lighting, not enough flow in the system etc..I use a python to occasionally vacuum the sand bed all the way to the bottom making sure the grey water doesn't go back into the water column. then there's the chemical way to get rid of Cyano with red slime remover I prefer to use that as a last resort because it will send the skimmer into over drive for a week or two and it can also cause the ALK to crash, RSR being an antibacterial kills both bad and good bacteria it doesn't know the differance affraid. if you have access to see under the tank as in an open bottom stand you can see the Cyano under the sandbed it's just waiting for the right conditions to show up in the DT, I hate Cyano Bacteria!!!!

**********USAfishbox.com*************

<*)))>{ <*)))>{ <*)))>{ <*)))>{
180 gallon mixed reef SPS dominant 75 gallon sump/fuge.
40 gallon anemone/softy tank 20 gallon sump/fuge.
Red sea max 250 Seahorse tank.
Silence is Golden but Duct tape is Silver.....
Having a saltwater tank without coral is like the Hells angels riding Mopeds*************************************
"The road to success is always under construction."
Back to top Go down
Meredith
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Meredith

PostSubject: Re: A hypothetical question...   A hypothetical question... Icon_minitime10/26/2011, 11:44 am

So are the dinoflagellates a type of cyanobacter then? I read on reefcleaners that there is some debate...I just want the cr@p gone and I don't want to screw up my params again...right now everything is sitting perfect...except the water is still somewhat murky, and then there's that brown dino cr@p in one section of my substrate....hypothetically. LOL!
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

PostSubject: Re: A hypothetical question...   A hypothetical question... Icon_minitime10/26/2011, 12:30 pm

whats your phosphate test at? what all are you testing for?

Having a saltwater tank without coral is like the Hells angels riding Mopeds*************************************
Back to top Go down
Meredith
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Meredith

PostSubject: Re: A hypothetical question...   A hypothetical question... Icon_minitime10/26/2011, 12:43 pm

I tested everything yesterday actually and use the API Reef master kit and also have an API ammonia kit.

Params are as follows:

Temp 76
SG 1.024
Nitrates < 5ppm
Phosphates 0ppm
Alkalinity 9dKH (161.1ppm)
Calcium 460ppm
Ammonia < 0.25ppm

The nitrates and ammonia tested between zero and the first set of numbers on the cards (5ppm and 0.25ppm respectively). Not perfect, but not crazy high either.

I test temp and SG daily, and every few days test nitrates and ammonia. Once a month I test the rest of the params as well. I have a daily journal and I log everything about the tank that I see and also anything I test for so I can keep track of how it's doing daily...any changes I make or notice goes into the journal.
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: A hypothetical question...   A hypothetical question... Icon_minitime10/26/2011, 1:13 pm

API is a pretty good test kit, the only thing I can suggest is to becareful not to over feed that includes Reef bugs,fish food of all kinds and especially Phyto your tank is still young and apparently can't handle the Bio load quite yet. you can vacuum the sand bed as well with water changes that will help alot. don't get frustrated about Diatoms cause it's part of the hobby whether we like it or not just be patient and glad it's not HA, Bryopsis or Cyano.

Back to top Go down
Meredith
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Meredith

PostSubject: Re: A hypothetical question...   A hypothetical question... Icon_minitime10/26/2011, 1:36 pm

Yeah, I don't have any reef bugs or phyto yet...just the fish food and I'm down to feeding once a day (what the fish can gobble up in a few minutes) and using distilled Wmart water for water changes and top offs (no more rural tap water for me!)....

What exactly are the dinoflagellates? For most of the day it just looks like a patch of heavy dark brown gunk (it's all stuck together like a mat) and in the evening there's like these "stalks" with a bubble on top and they look like little mini mushrooms or something.

I am going to do a water change today and will try to vacuum up the whole mat...definitely don't want it to spit out spores or anything.

I'm tenacious, and I refuse to give up....but I have to admit I am frustrated.
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: A hypothetical question...   A hypothetical question... Icon_minitime10/26/2011, 2:07 pm

READ..
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-11/rhf/index.php

Back to top Go down
Meredith
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Meredith

PostSubject: Re: A hypothetical question...   A hypothetical question... Icon_minitime10/26/2011, 2:56 pm

YOU, my dear, are my HERO! :) Thanks!
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: A hypothetical question...   A hypothetical question... Icon_minitime10/26/2011, 4:35 pm

youre very welcome:) a little off topic but guess what? are ya guessing?
I got my 1st egg today!!!! it's tiny but hey it's an egg!!!! chicken dance

Back to top Go down
Meredith
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Meredith

PostSubject: Re: A hypothetical question...   A hypothetical question... Icon_minitime10/26/2011, 6:31 pm

Wooo Hooooo! chicken dance
Pullets always start out laying small...won't be long till you have full sized yummy eggs! :)
Anyway, that's just awesome! How many pullets did you end up getting? I forgot... LOL!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A hypothetical question...   A hypothetical question... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A hypothetical question...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
UsaFishBox :: :: SaltWater Aquaria :: General Saltwater Disc.-
Jump to: