UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

I think my Nitrate and Ammonia levels are kinda high?

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Meredith
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Meredith

Favorite Fish: : As far as fresh water goes, it's Bettas!
For marine fish; Firefish, Cardinalfish, Gobies, Dragonets, and Sharks...

I think my Nitrate and Ammonia levels are kinda high? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: I think my Nitrate and Ammonia levels are kinda high?   I think my Nitrate and Ammonia levels are kinda high? - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/10/2011, 5:35 pm

First topic message reminder :

Ok... Noob idiocy here...again. My 55g has been up and running since Aug 28. Having to buy small amounts of LR at a time, and I have around 20 pounds in there now, along with LS, and an Emperor 400...I'm doing partial water changes weekly (approx 10% +/- depending on the water params), and I check params daily.

I currently have 2 damsels, 1 Cardinal, and 1 Peppermint Shrimp. I've lost 1 Cardinal and 1 Shrimp in the past few days. affraid *FREAKING OUT NOW* affraid

They are currently on a diet of "TetraMarine saltwater flakes" fed in the a.m., "Hikari frozen krill" (that I chop into itty bitty tidbits) fed in the afternoon, and "New Life Spectrum" medium pelleted food (I generally crumble some of those into smaller bites as well). I try to feed only as much as these guys will eat within 5 minutes or so.

For the past few days, my Nitrates have been steady at 20ppm, and Ammonia is at 0.25ppm. Could this be the culprit?? My SG is steady at 1.024 and my temp steady at 76F.

What am I doing wrong??? cursing

::Forgot to say that when I initially started up the system, I added a full bottle of Bio-Spira, and another bottle last night hoping that would boost the Nitrifying bacteria. Still no change in the params, even after a partial water change.::
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: I think my Nitrate and Ammonia levels are kinda high?   I think my Nitrate and Ammonia levels are kinda high? - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/14/2011, 12:24 pm

I have to agree 100% with pope! you have a good skimmer now you no longer need that nitrate producing filter, funny thing is pro filter people say I use a canister filter or hob and love it my nitrates etc are 0 then in the same breath say things like but I wish I could get rid of all this HA or bryopsis etc I just laugh because the reason their tests read 0 is because the problem algae is consuming it.. your problem came from way to much way too fast slow down and let it marinate. that being said I never bought into the bacteria in a bottle either till about 3 years ago and I was sold! I would never reccomend something I haven't actually tried myself.
Back to top Go down
Meredith
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Meredith

PostSubject: Re: I think my Nitrate and Ammonia levels are kinda high?   I think my Nitrate and Ammonia levels are kinda high? - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/14/2011, 1:15 pm

So do you think I should totally disable the E 400, or can I use it for carbon, or the ceramic "beads" and related materials that encourage bacterial growth but won't trap debris like the pads do? I kind of like it running because it adds extra water flow, but I will take it out if you guys think it would be best for me to do so...
Back to top Go down
popebosephus
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
popebosephus

PostSubject: Re: I think my Nitrate and Ammonia levels are kinda high?   I think my Nitrate and Ammonia levels are kinda high? - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/14/2011, 1:33 pm

yank the pads and beads, put your carbon in the plastic inserts, run occasionally. Not entirely necessary to begin with unless you're loaded up on stuff that favors chemical warfare. Most LPS, several species of SPS. Eventually get you another power head, yank the 400.
Back to top Go down
popebosephus
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
popebosephus

PostSubject: Re: I think my Nitrate and Ammonia levels are kinda high?   I think my Nitrate and Ammonia levels are kinda high? - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/14/2011, 1:33 pm

oh and learn to love you some GHA, but get a crew that keeps it in check.
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

PostSubject: Re: I think my Nitrate and Ammonia levels are kinda high?   I think my Nitrate and Ammonia levels are kinda high? - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/14/2011, 2:05 pm

nooooooo you dont learn to love HA lol!
Back to top Go down
popebosephus
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
popebosephus

PostSubject: Re: I think my Nitrate and Ammonia levels are kinda high?   I think my Nitrate and Ammonia levels are kinda high? - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/14/2011, 2:25 pm

I LOVE the HA!
Back to top Go down
Meredith
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Meredith

PostSubject: Re: I think my Nitrate and Ammonia levels are kinda high?   I think my Nitrate and Ammonia levels are kinda high? - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/14/2011, 4:06 pm

To love HA, or, not to love HA... That is the question. ice cream hehehe!

Ok....so I'm going to remove the E 400, and just leave the power heads and the skimmer do the work. Here I go.... * GULP * grr

Whew! Ok. It's out. I've never run a tank without a filter before.... I jus a leetle skeerd...eeek.

Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

PostSubject: Re: I think my Nitrate and Ammonia levels are kinda high?   I think my Nitrate and Ammonia levels are kinda high? - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/14/2011, 4:20 pm

you'll be fine but you may want to tweek the skimmer back a little until you get a good foam VS. skimming wet.
Back to top Go down
Meredith
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Meredith

PostSubject: Re: I think my Nitrate and Ammonia levels are kinda high?   I think my Nitrate and Ammonia levels are kinda high? - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/14/2011, 4:31 pm

I trust you guys, so I have no doubt that everything will be okay. ;)
usafishbox

For the skimmer...I do that just by raising the cup some, right? I guessed at it and lifted it a little bit yesterday to see what would happen, and though I had some water in the bottom, there was alot more of the foam too... Man that is some gross stuff! lol!
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: I think my Nitrate and Ammonia levels are kinda high?   I think my Nitrate and Ammonia levels are kinda high? - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/14/2011, 4:36 pm

yep!:) and it smells like low tide crazy
Back to top Go down
popebosephus
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
popebosephus

PostSubject: Re: I think my Nitrate and Ammonia levels are kinda high?   I think my Nitrate and Ammonia levels are kinda high? - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/14/2011, 4:47 pm

Meredith wrote:

Whew! Ok. It's out. I've never run a tank without a filter before.... I jus a leetle skeerd...eeek.

You're not silly... you got a skimmer. You'll need to watch the skimmer and adjust as needed to get the foam density you like. It's all personal preference. I keep mine dense cuz I'm lazy and only think to look to see if the cup needs cleaned once every other week or so.
Back to top Go down
Meredith
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Meredith

PostSubject: Re: I think my Nitrate and Ammonia levels are kinda high?   I think my Nitrate and Ammonia levels are kinda high? - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/14/2011, 5:02 pm

Cwhip: LOL! Yeah, low tide at the local water treatment plant! AAAK!! affraid

Pope: I hadn't considered that! Hmmm...me thinks thicker is definitely better! LOL!!! lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I think my Nitrate and Ammonia levels are kinda high?   I think my Nitrate and Ammonia levels are kinda high? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I think my Nitrate and Ammonia levels are kinda high?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2