UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

some of my planted tanks...

Go down 
+2
Ben
m1ste2tea
6 posters
AuthorMessage
m1ste2tea
Private
Private
m1ste2tea

Favorite Fish: : tiger oscar

some of my planted tanks... Empty
PostSubject: some of my planted tanks...   some of my planted tanks... Icon_minitime6/23/2011, 8:13 pm

this is my rescaped 55 gallon planted cichlid tank. I had to remove half of the amazon swords because they were getting too big. I also sold more than half of the fish, the aggressive ones that were preventing my acei from breeding. the young acei from the riparium are going in here soon and hopefully they will start to breed for me.

and for something a bit different...

this is my little 10 gallon project that I have set up at work. I wanted something that is low tech and almost maintenance free. the plants use up all of the nitrate in here, the only thing that this setup requires is frequent water addition, the plants soak up and evaporate a lot of it. No algae problems ever though.

Back to top Go down
Ben
Ben

Favorite Fish: : Venustus and Catfish

PostSubject: Re: some of my planted tanks...   some of my planted tanks... Icon_minitime6/23/2011, 9:32 pm

They look nice. The africans look real nice in that planted tank.
Back to top Go down
Jeepluv77
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Jeepluv77

Favorite Fish: : Species I've kept: Freshwater- Dwarf puffers and clown loaches. Saltwater- Volitans and Snowflake Moray

Species I'd love to keep one day- Freshwater- Rays. Saltwater- Bamboo/Cat Sharks

PostSubject: Re: some of my planted tanks...   some of my planted tanks... Icon_minitime6/23/2011, 10:51 pm

Wow! I've never even heard of a riparium. I've got to look in to that. Also, wasn't aware you could keep swords in an african tank. I love it!
Back to top Go down
m1ste2tea
Private
Private
m1ste2tea

Favorite Fish: : tiger oscar

PostSubject: Re: some of my planted tanks...   some of my planted tanks... Icon_minitime6/24/2011, 12:07 am

Jeepluv77 wrote:
Wow! I've never even heard of a riparium. I've got to look in to that. Also, wasn't aware you could keep swords in an african tank. I love it!

thanks. the riparium is almost like a paludarium, there are very few products for such setups, thats why I made the planters myself. the concept is to use the plants to help remove nitrate from the water. and I have to say that it works very well. even in full sun I have no algae. this is especially important because I dont see this tank 3 days a week because its at work.

the planted cichlid tank was a big lesson in what works and what doesnt. many plants even java moss was fine until the cichlids were like 2 inches long, then they started nibbling on the young shoots and anything soft. It also helps to keep the cichlids trained to eat cichlid pellets and to keep them well fed all of the time, if I ever go on a long vacation I can tell they have tried to eat the java fern. although not the amazon swords... they probably taste bad
Back to top Go down
ornate12
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
ornate12

Favorite Fish: : Ornate Bichirs, Synodontis Angelicus, Filamentosus barb,
Aristochromis Christyi, Ptychochromis Grandidieri and all other Madagascar cichlids.

PostSubject: Re: some of my planted tanks...   some of my planted tanks... Icon_minitime6/24/2011, 6:34 am

Very Nice ! Thank you for sharing with us !!

yes
Back to top Go down
Shea
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: some of my planted tanks...   some of my planted tanks... Icon_minitime6/24/2011, 7:49 am

I know almost nothing about these types of fish, they look incredible. Especially in that 1st planted tank.
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

PostSubject: Re: some of my planted tanks...   some of my planted tanks... Icon_minitime6/24/2011, 7:53 am

I've never tried Amazon Swords in with my cichlids - because they've eaten everything else! (except duckweed). Thanks for the idea!

BTW I've got amazon swords in my EBJD/Bichir tank that are growing shoots and taking over the 29T. Should I take these and grow them in pots to transfer to the Mbuna tank I'm going to set up next month? How big do the swords need to be first?
Back to top Go down
Jeepluv77
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Jeepluv77

Favorite Fish: : Species I've kept: Freshwater- Dwarf puffers and clown loaches. Saltwater- Volitans and Snowflake Moray

Species I'd love to keep one day- Freshwater- Rays. Saltwater- Bamboo/Cat Sharks

PostSubject: Re: some of my planted tanks...   some of my planted tanks... Icon_minitime6/24/2011, 10:43 am

I wonder how anubias species would do. They're tough and pretty hardy. However, they're slow growers so any damage would take awhile to repair. I've heard of keep vals in with cichlids but I don't see how that would work as they really don't root very deep. Maybe just their incredible growth rate and tough texture?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: some of my planted tanks...   some of my planted tanks... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

some of my planted tanks...
Page 1 of 1