UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

Want to start a Saltwater FOWLR tank

Go down 
+6
wildbeanerz
08can-am
cwhip
fish head 378
3Frontosas
hello2196
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
hello2196
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
hello2196

Want to start a Saltwater FOWLR tank - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Want to start a Saltwater FOWLR tank   Want to start a Saltwater FOWLR tank - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/10/2011, 6:35 pm

First topic message reminder :

Want to know what all I will need, and how much of it to get a 55 galllon tank up & running.
I know that I will need salt (duh). but I want to do a sumpless set up, the guy @ the lfs said that if I had my skimmer (which doubles as a filter, yay for an old skimmer!) and a couple of 55 gallon HOB filters would be good for the filtration side of it. what else will I need, like, do I need live sand or not. also, how much live rock will I need ect. ect. ect.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
hello2196
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: Want to start a Saltwater FOWLR tank   Want to start a Saltwater FOWLR tank - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/16/2011, 12:13 pm

would this work?

I was thinking about buying 1 bag of salt, and one bag of live salt, go ahead and mix up the water then add the live sand. I would also go ahead and add the filters and skimmer i have and let them run and cycle....... while I wait for more money it would be cycling, once I get a bit more, I'd post an ad on CL saying that I would buy reasonably priced live rock..... once I get that settled..... wait more, for more funds, then fnally get a couple damsel fish to make sure it's safe, then move into other fish.
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

Favorite Fish: :

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: Want to start a Saltwater FOWLR tank   Want to start a Saltwater FOWLR tank - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/16/2011, 2:39 pm

whats live salt?
Back to top Go down
juice28
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
juice28

Favorite Fish: : black false percula, spotted mandarin

PostSubject: Re: Want to start a Saltwater FOWLR tank   Want to start a Saltwater FOWLR tank - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/16/2011, 2:46 pm

never heard of live salt.. maybe its supposed to be live sand lol, i messed up on so many acronyms and terms when i started my SW journey. Want to start a Saltwater FOWLR tank - Page 2 690297
Back to top Go down
hello2196
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
hello2196

PostSubject: Re: Want to start a Saltwater FOWLR tank   Want to start a Saltwater FOWLR tank - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/16/2011, 3:00 pm

lol, so it's supposed to be live sand
Back to top Go down
juice28
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
juice28

Favorite Fish: : black false percula, spotted mandarin

PostSubject: Re: Want to start a Saltwater FOWLR tank   Want to start a Saltwater FOWLR tank - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/16/2011, 3:01 pm

see just a typo common error lol im always messin up on words lol
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

PostSubject: Re: Want to start a Saltwater FOWLR tank   Want to start a Saltwater FOWLR tank - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/16/2011, 3:54 pm

lets see you wanna go cheap:)
tank
dead rock with one live piece
dead sand
some dirty cheato and seed water if avaiable
Stability
2x K3's
put it all together add stability as directed when you test 0 ammonia,nitrites,nitrates then add a fish or two.
be a good boy and do 10% weekly water changes and you wont need a filter or skimmer for now. you are in a warm climate so you can also skip the heater..
lol!
Back to top Go down
hello2196
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
hello2196

PostSubject: Re: Want to start a Saltwater FOWLR tank   Want to start a Saltwater FOWLR tank - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/16/2011, 5:42 pm

there was a powerhead on CL for $40, it moves 700 gph, is it worth it, or would it be overkill?
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

PostSubject: Re: Want to start a Saltwater FOWLR tank   Want to start a Saltwater FOWLR tank - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/17/2011, 2:33 am

in my 55 I used 2 Koralia 3's which are 850 gph, it wasn't overkill at all.
you can get them brand new on Amazon for 31 each.
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: Want to start a Saltwater FOWLR tank   Want to start a Saltwater FOWLR tank - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/17/2011, 9:14 am

keep looking
Back to top Go down
hello2196
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
hello2196

PostSubject: Re: Want to start a Saltwater FOWLR tank   Want to start a Saltwater FOWLR tank - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/17/2011, 9:59 am

ok, I didn't know whether or not it was a good deal. My dad emailed them nyways, and it turns out that they have a whole SW set up that they're taking down, so I may get something else from them
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: Want to start a Saltwater FOWLR tank   Want to start a Saltwater FOWLR tank - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/17/2011, 10:46 am

their ya go
just poke around and ask questions about how old the equipmant is and then if you feel like the stuff is good go ahead and offer away! youll never know!
you might end up getting the whole system for dirt cheap! it happens
Back to top Go down
popebosephus
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
popebosephus

PostSubject: Re: Want to start a Saltwater FOWLR tank   Want to start a Saltwater FOWLR tank - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/17/2011, 2:15 pm

alkomist wrote:

you might end up getting the whole system for dirt cheap! it happens

I just did this myself.
Back to top Go down
popebosephus
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
popebosephus

PostSubject: Re: Want to start a Saltwater FOWLR tank   Want to start a Saltwater FOWLR tank - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/17/2011, 2:15 pm

and what's stability?
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

Favorite Fish: : Love my black ocellaris!

PostSubject: Re: Want to start a Saltwater FOWLR tank   Want to start a Saltwater FOWLR tank - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/17/2011, 2:20 pm

Isn't that the bacteria in a bottle to help your cycle along?
Back to top Go down
popebosephus
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
popebosephus

PostSubject: Re: Want to start a Saltwater FOWLR tank   Want to start a Saltwater FOWLR tank - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/17/2011, 2:22 pm

I got no clue, I've never used anything to help cycling
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

Favorite Fish: : Love my black ocellaris!

PostSubject: Re: Want to start a Saltwater FOWLR tank   Want to start a Saltwater FOWLR tank - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/17/2011, 2:24 pm

me either but...
http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Stability
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: Want to start a Saltwater FOWLR tank   Want to start a Saltwater FOWLR tank - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/17/2011, 2:59 pm

just get some LR and water and let it chill for bout a month or so!
dont spend more $$$ on stuff you dont really need!!!
just read up on stuff!
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

Favorite Fish: : all of them along with mermaids and me I'm a Pisces.

PostSubject: Re: Want to start a Saltwater FOWLR tank   Want to start a Saltwater FOWLR tank - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/25/2011, 3:29 am

might also try reefcentral.com and just have to be patient. look on craigslist i saw a guy selling it for a dollar a pound. most time... i see it for $2.00 to $4.00 a pound on craigslist.. just start slow.. when I first started all i need was take what i had a 25g tank, and got some a 40 pound bag of carbian sea live sand, and 50-60 pounds of live rock for free from a guy, then went out and bought 25g of ro/di water and a bag of instant ocean from pet supplies plus, and a hydrometer from pet supplies plus. then i cut down my 3 foot reflectors.. in to two foot reflectors and got a a current 10,000k and a marine glo blue bulb and that is how i start saltwater. then once i had it goting i found a red sea hob skimmer from a friend...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Want to start a Saltwater FOWLR tank   Want to start a Saltwater FOWLR tank - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Want to start a Saltwater FOWLR tank
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2