UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Plants use up Oxygen as well as produce it

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Madmax0r
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Madmax0r

Favorite Fish: : Texas Cichlids (mainly Herichthys cyanoguttatus), Rock bass, and other native Texas fish

Plants use up Oxygen as well as produce it Empty
PostSubject: Plants use up Oxygen as well as produce it   Plants use up Oxygen as well as produce it Icon_minitime5/7/2011, 2:53 pm

I was reading this article and ran across something That I have never herd before. apparently when plants are in low light level conditions they actually use up oxygen. This seems like it might be of interest so some people who have extremely planted tanks

Some reasons for low dissolved oxygen levels are

* a short lighting period in planted tanks, plants produce oxygen during the lighting period and use up oxygen at night
* an overstocked tank, which translates to larger amounts of waste created that in return requires more bacteria to oxygenate the waste
* no or too little water agitation
* waste rotting in the filter or in the gravel

Another term in connection with dissolved oxygen is the Redox potential.

In simple words Redox refers to the relation of oxygen and waste particles. The more waste, the less Redox potential due to lesser oxygen. Redox can be measured in mV and the range should be between 150 to 250 mV.

Redox is also related to the biological oxygen demand (BOD). BOD is the measurement of how much oxygen is needed to break down the waste created. The higher the BOD value, the worse the quality of the water.

An acceptable BOD value is at about 1-2 mg/l (ppm).

Nitrates contribute to high BOD levels, since this generally indicates a high break down rate of waste.
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

PostSubject: Re: Plants use up Oxygen as well as produce it   Plants use up Oxygen as well as produce it Icon_minitime5/9/2011, 8:39 am

In Biology 1 (highschool) it is commonly taught that plants are in the photosynthetic cycle during daylight hours which produce the sugars needed to 'power' the plant as it goes into the Kreb's cycle during night hours. So basically, at night the plant is using a similar respiration cycle that we use, which uses oxygen and releases carbon dioxide.

This is not new knowledge by any means. All plants do this.

As for the term 'Redox pontential' - I have never seen it used for the relationship between oxygen and waste products. Its raw definition is the measure of the ease at which electrons are aquired by any chemical species (molecule), thereby being 'reduced'. This is one of three acid-base relationship theories and governs the measure/calculation of pH.

2Scicrazed - Chemistry teacher by trade
Back to top Go down
hello2196
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
hello2196

PostSubject: Re: Plants use up Oxygen as well as produce it   Plants use up Oxygen as well as produce it Icon_minitime5/9/2011, 9:23 am

2SciCrazed wrote:
2Scicrazed - Chemistry teacher by trade

no fare, CHEATER Plants use up Oxygen as well as produce it 932999 lol jk

well I just learned that seeing as I havnt done much with biology...... yet lol either way, it's intereting to know.
Back to top Go down
Madmax0r
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Madmax0r

Favorite Fish: : Texas Cichlids (mainly Herichthys cyanoguttatus), Rock bass, and other native Texas fish

PostSubject: Re: Plants use up Oxygen as well as produce it   Plants use up Oxygen as well as produce it Icon_minitime5/9/2011, 4:43 pm

Interesting,

I know alot of things about plants, but never ran across that little bit of info somehow. hey, thanks for the good responce
Back to top Go down
fishface30
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Angelfish, Rummynose Tetras

PostSubject: Re: Plants use up Oxygen as well as produce it   Plants use up Oxygen as well as produce it Icon_minitime5/9/2011, 9:41 pm

AAAAAAH!!!!! biochemistry!!!!! (running away from horrific biochem flashbacks) woof woof cry
Back to top Go down
Madmax0r
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Madmax0r

PostSubject: Re: Plants use up Oxygen as well as produce it   Plants use up Oxygen as well as produce it Icon_minitime5/10/2011, 7:37 pm

lol
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

PostSubject: Re: Plants use up Oxygen as well as produce it   Plants use up Oxygen as well as produce it Icon_minitime5/11/2011, 3:39 pm

I'm gonna fishing Fishface30!

**evil laugh from the teacher!**
Back to top Go down
fishface30
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Angelfish, Rummynose Tetras

PostSubject: Re: Plants use up Oxygen as well as produce it   Plants use up Oxygen as well as produce it Icon_minitime5/11/2011, 10:24 pm

Night before my biochem semester final beginning of finals week, my car was broken into. They spent time rifling through my glove compartment, the center compartment, overlooked my wallet with $300 cash in it, but instead stole books and notebooks out of my book bag. Imagine the distraction my mind was in during finals the next morning. I drove to school with a broken missing passenger window.

It didn't matter anyways; I really didn't fully grasp cellular respiration and the Kreb's cycle until years later while taking anatomy/physiology. I was so excited that I had that AHA! moment on the subject!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Plants use up Oxygen as well as produce it   Plants use up Oxygen as well as produce it Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Plants use up Oxygen as well as produce it
Page 1 of 1