UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE)

Go down 
+9
williemcd
dano
majesticaquatic
KMX
Txredneck
Dan W.
strikingthematch
-3de-
maconbits
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
maconbits
maconbits

Favorite Fish: : DISCUS

DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE) Empty
PostSubject: DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE)   DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE) Icon_minitime3/13/2011, 10:34 pm

OK so i have a all my beautiful discus for sale, yes you heard me right, i have 6 discus, the pics say it all they are beautiful, now i am not quiting discus by no means but for right now i am going to put it on hold cause i have big plans for my discus tank but it is gonna be a bigger tank and tearing down mine is the reason for the sale cause i have no place to hold my little guys. So here are the prices.PICK UP ONLY

Brilliant Cobalt 6 inch $60
Blue Snake Skin 5.5 inch $60
Blue Diamond 3.5 inch $40
Turk 3.5 inch $40
Red Mar. (i think ) 3.5 inch $30
Stressed Turk 2.5 inch $20(he needs alittle work but is eating fine and very active.
Also have like 12 neons that i will sell for 5 bucks.

Will make a deal for the hole group.
832 885 5954

Last edited by maconbits on 4/7/2011, 4:46 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
-3de-
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
-3de-

Favorite Fish: : Discus..

PostSubject: Re: DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE)   DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE) Icon_minitime3/14/2011, 5:56 pm

Sounds great! Keep us posted with some pics! We love pics!!

DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE) 265353
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Stingrays, Arowana, Rams, and Angels

PostSubject: Re: DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE)   DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE) Icon_minitime3/14/2011, 6:09 pm

Sounds like your doing the right thing and getting everything in order! I want a Discus tank one day. For now it is Cichlids haha
Back to top Go down
Dan W.
Sergeant
Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : To many to list but mostly Cichlids

PostSubject: Re: DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE)   DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE) Icon_minitime3/14/2011, 7:12 pm

Check the market forum there was a guy selling discus from Texas and I think he did shipping. lol
Back to top Go down
Txredneck
Sergeant
Sergeant
Txredneck

Favorite Fish: :
Breeder of
Discus
Angels
Rams
S.A. Cichlids

PostSubject: Re: DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE)   DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE) Icon_minitime3/14/2011, 8:10 pm

maconbits wrote:
ok i am starting my first discus tank, over the past week i have been breakng down my 90 gallon for the new dscus set up. i finally finished the set up i just need to add another eheim 2217 to it, i already have one on it. I went the drift wood/ pool sand/plant route. it looks great, will post pics soon

Does anyone have discus for sale by chance, send me pics and prices

Well dont get to much flow, Discus dont like it
And lets see some pics BTW what colors or types of Dicus are you lookin for ??
your Buddy
TxRedneck
Back to top Go down
maconbits
maconbits

PostSubject: Re: DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE)   DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE) Icon_minitime3/15/2011, 3:46 am

i post some pics soon, more than likely this afternoon, just wanted to make sure the tank was crystal clear before pics lol

Txredneck
i am looking for cobalts, pigeon blood, and turks for now, but i am up for anything cause i love them all, they all seem to have their own type of beauty lol, why do you have some available?
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE)   DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE) Icon_minitime3/15/2011, 9:25 am

I could always run these down when I got to HAS May 1st
Back to top Go down
maconbits
maconbits

PostSubject: Re: DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE)   DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE) Icon_minitime3/15/2011, 4:55 pm

that would be awesome, icould give ya some gas money for sure cause i know itit through the roof lol and bring me a couple black congo calvus like the last 2 i got from ya my wife loves them lol, and do you have any alittle bigger by chance or just the fry still.
Back to top Go down
maconbits
maconbits

PostSubject: Re: DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE)   DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE) Icon_minitime3/15/2011, 5:11 pm

DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE) Dsc03010
Back to top Go down
maconbits
maconbits

PostSubject: Re: DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE)   DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE) Icon_minitime3/15/2011, 5:14 pm

[]htimgtp://i61.servimg.com/u/f61/16/21/29/81/dsc03011.jpg[/img]

DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE) Dsc03012

well thats it for now but more to come soon i am pretty happy with the outcome (not to bad on a budget lol)
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Stingrays, Arowana, Rams, and Angels

PostSubject: Re: DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE)   DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE) Icon_minitime3/15/2011, 5:15 pm

Nice drift wood!
Back to top Go down
maconbits
maconbits

PostSubject: Re: DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE)   DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE) Icon_minitime3/15/2011, 5:16 pm

DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE) Dsc03013
Back to top Go down
maconbits
maconbits

PostSubject: Re: DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE)   DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE) Icon_minitime3/15/2011, 5:18 pm

just cant wait for my fist discus tomarrow, will post pics for sure DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE) 265353
Back to top Go down
majesticaquatic
USA Fishbox Sponsor
majesticaquatic

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Tangs, Clownfish

PostSubject: Re: DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE)   DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE) Icon_minitime3/15/2011, 5:26 pm

Just watch the Discus and make sure they dont damage themselves on the rock.
Back to top Go down
maconbits
maconbits

PostSubject: Re: DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE)   DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE) Icon_minitime3/15/2011, 6:23 pm

thank you for the heads up , i just put it in there really to hold drift wood down while filling the tank, i had to help it out a little but now i like them in there lol
Back to top Go down
dano
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
dano

PostSubject: Re: DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE)   DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE) Icon_minitime3/15/2011, 11:48 pm

Don't put Discus into a tank that is not cycled "matured" It may take a month or so for a tank to build up beneficial bacteria to take care of the ammonia produced by the fish......Discus don't tolerate ammonia well at all.
Back to top Go down
Txredneck
Sergeant
Sergeant
Txredneck

Favorite Fish: :
Breeder of
Discus
Angels
Rams
S.A. Cichlids

PostSubject: Re: DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE)   DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE) Icon_minitime3/16/2011, 5:42 am

dano wrote:
Don't put Discus into a tank that is not cycled "matured" It may take a month or so for a tank to build up beneficial bacteria to take care of the ammonia produced by the fish......Discus don't tolerate ammonia well at all.

Please Explain This to me
Back to top Go down
dano
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
dano

PostSubject: Re: DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE)   DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE) Icon_minitime3/16/2011, 10:32 am

Read this article on tank cycling....Being a breeder of Discus, Angels, Rams, and SA Cichlids, I am surprised you didn't suggest this first.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CYCLING A NEW TANK:

There are 2 ways to Cycle a new tank, either with fish, using their waste products to help create ammonia or without fish (which is called Fishless cycling). You must always cycle a new tank!

First set the tank up and let it run for atleast a week to allow the water to age and regulate the temperature.

What is cycling ?:

It’s a little complicated, but it’s very important to know when you own an aquarium. With a new tank/filter, you do not have enough beneficial bacteria to remove ammonia from the water, so if you aren't careful your fish could die. Cycling a tank is basically breeding a bigger colony of beneficial bacteria to convert the amount of waste your fish produces and any decaying food. There are two types: one converts ammonia to nitrite, and the other converts nitrite to nitrate. Buy a test kit to monitor the levels of these three to see how far along your cycle is, and to make sure they don't reach dangerous levels for your fish along the way. While the tank cycles, you should see a spike of ammonia and it will go down, then a spike of nitrite and it will go down, then nitrate will start to increase. Do not rinse the gravel or anything in the filter in tap water or the chlorine will kill the beneficial bacteria.

The Cycling process has 3 phases:

1st Phase:

The cycle starts as soon as there are fish in the tank or you start feeding the tank (if using fishless cycling). The waste products, & any uneaten food, break down into either ionized or unionized ammonia, which usually starts to form around the 3rd day after putting fish in the tank. The ionized form, Ammonium (NH4), can be present in a pH below 7, and is not usually harmful to fish. The unionized form of ammonia (NH3), exists in a pH of 7 or above, and this ammonia is highly toxic to fish & any amount can be dangerous, but if levels reach 2 ppm, the fish start to stress & will suffer. P.W. changes are the best way to stop high levels of ammonia forming.

You usually need to test for ammonia from the 3rd dy. & everyday from then on until you see it start to drop & then you continue testing every 2nd dy. until it remains at 0.

2nd Phase:

This is where the ammonia starts being eliminated by the “Nitrosomonas” bacteria, this process is what produces the nitrite, which is also highly toxic to fish. Nitrite levels of 1 ppm can be very harmful to some fish.

Nitrite usually appears at the end of the first week after adding fish, (but can take longer to start), which is when you should start testing for nitrite, & keep testing every 2nd dy until it reaches 0.

Again p.w.changes will help keep nitrite levels down.

3rd Phase:

This final phase of cycling (which can happen very suddenly), is when bacteria called "Nitrobacter" bacteria change the nitrites into nitrates, which in moderate levels is not too harmful to fish, an acceptable level is 5 ppm, but can be as high as 30 ppm before it starts harming fish (but it isn't a good idea to leave it that high if it does get to that level). In a cycled/established tank you should normally get a nitrate reading that is between 5-10 ppm.

P.W.changes will keep levels down if they get too high, & once the tank has been established you only need to check the nitrates every 3 months or so.

Once you have a constant reading of ammonia = 0 nitrite = 0 nitrate = 5 ppm (but nitrate may be a bit less/more) for a couple of dys, you're tank has finished cycling.

The different ways to cycle a tank:

Cycling with Fish:

When setting up an aquarium, buy some hardy fish (definitely not neons) to get the cycle started. These fish are often called "Starter Fish" & the purpose of these fish is to provide ammonia through respiration, fish waste, and decaying food. The ammonia allows the first set of nitrifying bacteria to colonize and to initiate the cycling of the tank.

During this time of cycling, ammonia and later nitrites will spike up to dangerous levels for the fish, so after 3 dys of adding the fish, you need to monitor these levels daily & do partial water changes every 2 to 3 dys (it may be needed every dy if levels get too high, as well as cutting back on feeding or stop feeding for a day or so). Some fish may not survive the cycling process, so it is best to be prepared for some losses.

The cycle is complete as soon as ammonia and nitrite levels are no longer measurable and you have a nitrate reading as mentioned earlier. This form of cycling takes anywhere from 4-8 wks.

Fishless Cycling:

All you need to do is set up the tank with at least gravel, a filter and water and preferably a heater to maintain a temperature Of around 80*F as bacteria grow faster in higher temps. (but it is not absolutely necessary). Add cheap fish flakes daily and siphon every two weeks just as if you had fish in the tank & keep monitoring the levels of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

Once your nitrogen cycle is fully established, do a series of water changes over a few days (still feeding) and then add your fish. This way you can add more at a time and none of the fish will be harmed from ammonia or nitrite levels, and it's much less work and stress on yourself.

Seeding the tank can speed up this process. (Seeding basically means the introduction of existing bacteria colonies into a new tank). The decaying food will provide ammonia for these colonies to settle and grow in the new tank. This method also takes 4-8 weeks.

There is also a second way to do a fishless cycle which requires a bit more effort, which is:

Using Pure Ammonia to Cycle:

Instead of using fish food for ammonia production, you can also introduce pure ammonia to the tank.

After the tank has been set up, add 5 drops of ammonia per 10 Gallons into the water on a daily basis.

Ammonia will rise to 5 ppm and higher. As soon as you can measure the nitrites, reduce the ammonia to 3 drops per day. Nitrites will rise to similar levels. Keep adding 2-3 drops until the measurements of ammonia and nitrites come out with 0 ppm. The tank has then completely cycled.

With the fishless method, when the fish are introduced into the tank there is a risk of creating by-products such as phosphates, which occurs by decaying food. The ammonia produced might not be sufficient to create enough bacteria colonies to hold the fish when they are introduced, and this will trigger another growth of bacteria with spikes in ammonia and nitrites.

These re-renewed spikes however will be much shorter and less intense compared to the initial ones experienced during the primary cycle. Consequences for the fish are minimal, making this at least fish-friendlier. This method is usually quicker taking approx. 2-3 wks, but it can vary.

Remember:

The tank needs to be well oxygenated as the bacteria require oxygen.

A tank may become cloudy during cycling which is normal, it is usually caused by a bacterial bloom as the bacteria establish/colonise and usually will clear up on its own.

If using ammonia cycling:

The ammonia used should be free of any perfumes and additives, but just in case, use act.carbon to remove any traces of them after the tank has cycled.

Do not treat the water with conditioners that remove ammonia.

Water changes are only necessary if the ammonia and nitrite levels are too high, which should only occur if more than 5 drops is used per 10 Gallons of water.

After stocking your tank with fish, general maintenance of the aquarium is all that is required. The bacteria will adjust to the fish load and if you plan to add more fish the bacteria will need to adjust again.

Remember that a tank has cycled if ammonia and nitrites are back at 0 ppm. At this time you can stock the tank with fish. If no fish are introduced, the bacteria will still need to be fed.

HAPPY CYCLING:

References: Bernie, LittleHippyGirl, Algone.com, freshaquarium.about.com, Dano01

Back to top Go down
maconbits
maconbits

PostSubject: Re: DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE)   DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE) Icon_minitime3/17/2011, 3:10 pm

DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE) Dsc03014
Back to top Go down
maconbits
maconbits

PostSubject: Re: DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE)   DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE) Icon_minitime3/17/2011, 3:12 pm

DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE) Dsc03015
Back to top Go down
maconbits
maconbits

PostSubject: Re: DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE)   DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE) Icon_minitime3/17/2011, 3:13 pm

DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE) Dsc03016
Back to top Go down
maconbits
maconbits

PostSubject: Re: DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE)   DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE) Icon_minitime3/17/2011, 3:15 pm

the last pic is of the other guy that is still alittle stressed, but we shall see, hope he works out awesome, i love them now that i got them.
Back to top Go down
maconbits
maconbits

PostSubject: Re: DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE)   DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE) Icon_minitime3/17/2011, 4:35 pm

DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE) Dsc03017
Back to top Go down
-3de-
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
-3de-

Favorite Fish: : Discus..

PostSubject: Re: DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE)   DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE) Icon_minitime3/17/2011, 5:40 pm

Very nice!
What foods you going to be feeding them?
Back to top Go down
williemcd
Major
Major
williemcd

Favorite Fish: : Angels and hopefully soon Discus

PostSubject: Re: DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE)   DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE) Icon_minitime3/17/2011, 6:49 pm

and what did the dealer call them? Bill
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE)   DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

DISCUS TANK (FISH UPDATE)
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next