UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

Im highly considering converting to salt water

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Taylor
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Taylor

Favorite Fish: : Angels

Im highly considering converting to salt water  Empty
PostSubject: Im highly considering converting to salt water    Im highly considering converting to salt water  Icon_minitime2/17/2011, 3:32 am

Ick kicked all my fresh water fish's butts :(
RIP fresh water stock!

Now ive had the tank running and stabilizing fresh water for about a week and a half,
and ever since day 3 of having it running ive been trying to shake the idea of making it salt water.

Now I have a lot of salt water FISH experience, catching, feeding, selling ect, but ive never
really had to maintain my own tank before.

And im not so confident in my ability to keep it where it needs to be.

FIRST, I need sub pump recommendations!
My tank is a 35 LONG, and has the stand to hide the sump, so that should not be an issue,
drilling the tank, or finding away around drilling is the issue.

I also need some info on how to get started!

I want to make the tank into a local predator tank.

I catch feeder shrimp weekly anyways for a few customers I picked up this summer,
it would be nice to actually have my own fish to feed.

I would want feeder shrimp, a few wild blennys, and what ever else I come across local.
Not much into reef tanks just based on the solem fact that I am a N00B when it comes to
maintaining my own tank lol!

Please help!
Tips, suggestions, links to helpful info!
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

PostSubject: Re: Im highly considering converting to salt water    Im highly considering converting to salt water  Icon_minitime2/17/2011, 4:35 am

if you want to try salt then the least expensive/easiest way to go is to use what you have and get a hang on back skimmer rather than drilling the tank and having a sump drilling is tricky and the plumbing can get very involved this way you can get your feet wet in the salt hobby without getting soaked so to speak. if its just going to be a fowlr then theres also no need to have an expensive light a regular PC or T5 setup will do. you said you had ich issues? if this tank you intend to use was ever exposed to copper you can never use it for corals so keep that in mind. the reason I say that is I see so many people convert to saltwater and love it then suddenly they have a full blown reef its that addicting so plan for the future and what it may evolve into. what do you mean you never maintained your own tank?
also a 35 gallon tank is kinda small for a predator tank.

**********USAfishbox.com*************

<*)))>{ <*)))>{ <*)))>{ <*)))>{
180 gallon mixed reef SPS dominant 75 gallon sump/fuge.
40 gallon anemone/softy tank 20 gallon sump/fuge.
Red sea max 250 Seahorse tank.
Silence is Golden but Duct tape is Silver.....
Having a saltwater tank without coral is like the Hells angels riding Mopeds*************************************
"The road to success is always under construction."
Back to top Go down
Taylor
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Taylor

PostSubject: Re: Im highly considering converting to salt water    Im highly considering converting to salt water  Icon_minitime2/17/2011, 4:44 am

cwhip wrote:
if you want to try salt then the least expensive/easiest way to go is to use what you have and get a hang on back skimmer rather than drilling the tank and having a sump drilling is tricky and the plumbing can get very involved this way you can get your feet wet in the salt hobby without getting soaked so to speak. if its just going to be a fowlr then theres also no need to have an expensive light a regular PC or T5 setup will do. you said you had ich issues? if this tank you intend to use was ever exposed to copper you can never use it for corals so keep that in mind. the reason I say that is I see so many people convert to saltwater and love it then suddenly they have a full blown reef its that addicting so plan for the future and what it may evolve into. what do you mean you never maintained your own tank?

Thanks for the great response.
Could you possibly recommend some "hang on the back skimmers"?
Or would this just be a basic filter?

Would I be able to use the filter I used for my fresh water tank?

Thanks for the heads up on corals. I dont think I have the $$$ to get into that anyways!
I have a passion for using only what I catch myself c:

This summer when I lived with an ex of mine he had several tanks that I enjoyed catching fish for.
He is awesome with salt water and such and had over 9 tanks going at once. I unfortunately never really paid attention to everything he did with them, such as what he used to treat the tanks, how he did stuff ext.

Also VERY glad about the light! THOSE THINGS ARE EXPENSIVE!! cheers
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

PostSubject: Re: Im highly considering converting to salt water    Im highly considering converting to salt water  Icon_minitime2/17/2011, 5:01 am

Taylor wrote:
cwhip wrote:

Thanks for the great response.
Could you possibly recommend some "hang on the back skimmers"?
Or would this just be a basic filter?

Would I be able to use the filter I used for my fresh water tank?

Thanks for the heads up on corals. I dont think I have the $$$ to get into that anyways!
I have a passion for using only what I catch myself c:

This summer when I lived with an ex of mine he had several tanks that I enjoyed catching fish for.
He is awesome with salt water and such and had over 9 tanks going at once. I unfortunately never really paid attention to everything he did with them, such as what he used to treat the tanks, how he did stuff ext.

Also VERY glad about the light! THOSE THINGS ARE EXPENSIVE!! cheers

I'm pro skimmer but yes you can use your present filter on a fowlr just keep it clean so you dont have nitrate issues down the road if you decide to go with a skimmer then the Remora pro is a good HOB. remember that size aquarium is barely large enough to house some of the smaller marine fishes. its really unsuitable for any of the 'predatory fishes' except the very small. It would be fine for a Hawkfish (of the correct type) or maybe a dwarf Lionfish (of the correct species), but definitely not an Eel, Triggerfish, large Lionfish, and others known to be common residents of a predatory tank.
A properly sized predatory system would benefit greatly from having a protein skimmer. The waste produced by these guys is substantial poop

Having a saltwater tank without coral is like the Hells angels riding Mopeds*************************************
Back to top Go down
Taylor
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Taylor

PostSubject: Re: Im highly considering converting to salt water    Im highly considering converting to salt water  Icon_minitime2/17/2011, 5:08 am

Thanks for all the suggestions on species!
Well, at least on what NOT to have! haha.
Keeping it comfortable for the fish is the priority.
Maybe ill revise and just look at some fish at my local
sw store that would go well.

Blennys are a must! Haha
scooter blennys are my favorite next to mandarins !

What exactly is a protein skimmer?
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: Im highly considering converting to salt water    Im highly considering converting to salt water  Icon_minitime2/17/2011, 5:24 am

a protein skimmer is used to remove excess waste products from your saltwater aquarium They produce a churning effect inside the body of the skimmer then it separates the waste products in the form of foam that falls over into the collection cup and are held in the cup until it can be emptied same as what the Ocean does and the foam ends up on the beach.
here is a great read whether you are new to the hobby or an old hand:)
http://www.theculturedreef.com/nine-rules.htm

Back to top Go down
Taylor
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Taylor

PostSubject: Re: Im highly considering converting to salt water    Im highly considering converting to salt water  Icon_minitime2/17/2011, 5:48 am

What a great article! Thanks so much for all your help!
Back to top Go down
08can-am
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3

Favorite Fish: : Any thing reef friendl

PostSubject: Re: Im highly considering converting to salt water    Im highly considering converting to salt water  Icon_minitime2/24/2011, 5:50 pm

I just set up my first salt water tank in December with plans of starting as fish only. Plan to add corals. Once you get into this and find some locals, they will literally give you corals. I have had several corals given to me. But at the last get together i went to i got 4 frags of zoa's and one digi frag for 20 bucks. IMO thats very cheap. If you keep a eye out on craigs list you can find people taking tanks down all the time. Or you can just spend 150-200 for a new skimmer. Its a must. I have that and a regular hang on filter. Im running a 30 gallon with hang on everything. It works. But corals are addicting, and you do have to keep up with your water. I would suggest investing in a rodi unit because buying water every 3 days is no fun. Check my thread out for a idea
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

Favorite Fish: : all of them along with mermaids and me I'm a Pisces.

PostSubject: Re: Im highly considering converting to salt water    Im highly considering converting to salt water  Icon_minitime2/24/2011, 8:03 pm

it can be done, just got to shop around and find members in your area. you will also need live sand and live rock... look on here, or reef central or saltwaterfish.com you will find people selling live rock for 2-4 pounds, most LFS will charge 7-10 dollars. sand is cheap but make sure it's wet, and pay the extra money to get wet live sand with the creaders in it.

I sat up a saltwater tank for farly cheap. found a hang on the back skimmer for $25.00, cured live rock for $2.00 a pound, and a 40 pound bag of live sand for $25.00 , and pre made saltwater $1.00 a gallon. so to get a small tank going I only had to pay 100.00 $150.00 it pays to shop around and find other reef members.
Back to top Go down
juice28
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
juice28

Favorite Fish: : black false percula, spotted mandarin

PostSubject: Re: Im highly considering converting to salt water    Im highly considering converting to salt water  Icon_minitime2/26/2011, 7:52 pm

finding deals on corals is easy if you like corals, just like if you like fish, youll find deals on fish.. Getting the proper lighting to grow certain corals can be a challenge though lol. for a 35 if you want an aggressive tank, stick with the dwarf lions, or you can do a mantis shrimp.. i have a 55 gal reef set up with a skimmer and an emperor 400 and 2 power heads. for a total of about 975gph. i run chimi pure elite, and a polyfilter on one side of the emperor and LR rubble and phosphate pads and a polyfilter on the other side. if your going salt, id say decide if your gonna go LR or not. I am a fan of LR/LS set ups because off the filtration benefits but to each is own...i have a reef set up so I gotta have my LR lol[img]Im highly considering converting to salt water  IMAG0012[/img]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Im highly considering converting to salt water    Im highly considering converting to salt water  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Im highly considering converting to salt water
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
UsaFishBox :: :: SaltWater Aquaria :: General Saltwater Disc.-
Jump to: