UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

what to get next?

Go down 
+5
wildbeanerz
cwillis
alkomist
popebosephus
dcninja757
9 posters
AuthorMessage
dcninja757
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

Favorite Fish: : Fish

what to get next? Empty
PostSubject: what to get next?   what to get next? Icon_minitime2/8/2011, 1:17 pm

I have a 55 reef tank with a yellow tang and 2 yellow tail damsels... i've wanted a lionfish but i don't think i can get one with my current stock, right?

what else should I get?

I'm thinking maybe a goby and a few other smaller fish?

any help on what to stock would be appreciated.

thanks!
Back to top Go down

what to get next? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what to get next?   what to get next? Icon_minitime2/8/2011, 2:19 pm

between the damsels and tang nothing else will survive. The damsels get very nasty temperament.
Back to top Go down
popebosephus
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
popebosephus

what to get next? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what to get next?   what to get next? Icon_minitime2/8/2011, 2:51 pm

lion fish would be an easy solution to the damsels though!
Back to top Go down

what to get next? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what to get next?   what to get next? Icon_minitime2/8/2011, 2:52 pm

How true!
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

Favorite Fish: :

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

what to get next? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what to get next?   what to get next? Icon_minitime2/8/2011, 3:17 pm

^ lol
i think once you get rid of the tang you can throw somthin else in their
tang is going to grow out that tank REAL QUICK!
maybe a goby?
Back to top Go down
dcninja757
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

what to get next? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what to get next?   what to get next? Icon_minitime2/8/2011, 7:49 pm

Any kind if bright red goby out there?
Back to top Go down
cwillis
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
cwillis

Favorite Fish: : all of them that the problem but I do favor the shubunkins.

what to get next? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what to get next?   what to get next? Icon_minitime2/8/2011, 8:03 pm

how about a Red Fire Globy, those are cool
Back to top Go down
dcninja757
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

what to get next? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what to get next?   what to get next? Icon_minitime2/8/2011, 11:14 pm

any other fish i could get that's not blue/yellow so i can get a little more color in the tank?
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

what to get next? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what to get next?   what to get next? Icon_minitime2/9/2011, 9:36 am

get a coral beuty angel!
those fish have stunning color to em
carefull though they are known to be coral nippers

also google fire prawn goby!
they look amazing. kinda baige and bright fire red
only down side to em is they max out at one inch and itll cost bout 100$ even
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

Favorite Fish: : Love my black ocellaris!

what to get next? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what to get next?   what to get next? Icon_minitime2/9/2011, 9:51 am

I agree fire gobies (also called firefish) are cool fish. I have one.

They come in the normal variation which is red and they also come in a purple variety. Easy going, nice to keep fish. But they are jumpers.
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

what to get next? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what to get next?   what to get next? Icon_minitime2/9/2011, 10:27 am

sorry! it was Flaming Prawn Goby!
nothing at all like a firefish!

what to get next? FlamingPrawnGoby_DiscordipinnaGriessingeriTMGo_Ap8AS
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

what to get next? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what to get next?   what to get next? Icon_minitime2/9/2011, 10:28 am

what to get next? 043-2
Back to top Go down
jt_milstead
Private First Class
Private First Class
jt_milstead

Favorite Fish: : Picasso Percula Clowns,Moorish Idoal

what to get next? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what to get next?   what to get next? Icon_minitime2/9/2011, 12:18 pm

As stated already, those Damsels will be your biggest threat to any fish you add. They will gang up on fish and give them a beat down. The YT will outgrow your tank pretty fast as well, and can also be aggressive.
Back to top Go down
dcninja757
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

what to get next? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what to get next?   what to get next? Icon_minitime2/9/2011, 12:34 pm

right, but they don't seem very aggressive right now, if I get something bigger won't they be ok?
Back to top Go down
jt_milstead
Private First Class
Private First Class
jt_milstead

what to get next? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what to get next?   what to get next? Icon_minitime2/9/2011, 12:36 pm

Your taking the chance of having fish killed. Thats just something i would not do.....I wouldnt keep a Tang long term in anything smaller than about 90 gallons.
Back to top Go down
dcninja757
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

what to get next? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what to get next?   what to get next? Icon_minitime2/10/2011, 11:03 am

apparently one of my damsels died somehow (most likely killed since everything else is fine with my water and whatnot) no body found, my inverts probably made short work of it.

i had 2, so maybe the other damsel killed it? this sucks.
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

what to get next? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what to get next?   what to get next? Icon_minitime2/10/2011, 11:05 am

tolja!
Back to top Go down
jt_milstead
Private First Class
Private First Class
jt_milstead

what to get next? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what to get next?   what to get next? Icon_minitime2/10/2011, 11:36 am

Very good chance....I would get that other Damsel out now before something else gets hurt.
Back to top Go down
dcninja757
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

what to get next? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what to get next?   what to get next? Icon_minitime2/10/2011, 1:21 pm

you think he'd hurt my tang?
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

what to get next? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what to get next?   what to get next? Icon_minitime2/10/2011, 3:53 pm

all I can say is WOW!
Back to top Go down
dcninja757
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

what to get next? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what to get next?   what to get next? Icon_minitime2/10/2011, 10:03 pm

why WOW! the pet store sold me something and told me it would work. i'm new to saltwater and should have researched the fish better. in any case, please add something constructive instead of just saying wow, kind of makes me feel like a dumba** and all I did was listen to the guy at my lfs who usually gives good advice. blah.
Back to top Go down
juice28
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
juice28

Favorite Fish: : black false percula, spotted mandarin

what to get next? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what to get next?   what to get next? Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 1:05 am

you can keep a lion. dwarf, fuzzy dwarf, damsels are nasty little fish but i kept a fu man chu lion, mandarin, 2 clowns, pistol shrimp n pink bar goby perfectly fine. the bigger lions will outgrow it. lions arent reef safe due to their diet and urge to eat inverts and small fish but they dont bother corals but the right mix of fish will coexist. in a 55 youd prolly lose a flaming prawn, they are tiny fish.
Back to top Go down
lifeisgood
Captain
Captain
lifeisgood

Favorite Fish: : My Favorites are the Pleco's and Cory Cats . BUT , I have 44 running Tanks at this time . I keep 3 kinds of Shellies , several types of Pleco's ( mostly Ancistrus ), Cichlids , Crays , Angels , LB's , and some local species .

what to get next? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what to get next?   what to get next? Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 5:29 am

Personally , I would get rid of the Damsel. Lion Fish are Awesome , But , they will eat anything that moves and they think will fit in there mouths . In a reef tank , some fishes that are reef safe are , Dotty Backs , Gobies , 6 lined Wrasse , Cardinals ,etc. And you can also add stock like Serpent Stars , Brittle Stars . But , be careful of other stars as some are not reef safe .
Enjoy your reef ,,, Ray
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

what to get next? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what to get next?   what to get next? Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 5:36 am

speaking of reef safe stars these guys are awesome he's reef safe and cruises the tank constanly really fun to watch he's a Linkia starfish this guy is 5 inches tip to tip
if you get one stay with the orange because the blue wont live long in the temp of our tanks their cold water species.
what to get next? 022-14
Back to top Go down
juice28
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
juice28

Favorite Fish: : black false percula, spotted mandarin

what to get next? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what to get next?   what to get next? Icon_minitime3/6/2011, 1:14 am

well i got a 55 reef set up. 1 maroon, 1 pinkbar goby(w pistol shrimp) 1 spotted mandarin, 1 fu man chu lion fish, and 1 lawnmower blenny..well the fu man chu died in my tank crash but he was perfectly happy and in pristine condition, even ate frozen what kind of fish are you looking for? something thats always out in the open swimming around, like a tang does? the flaming prawn goby is really nice but youll lose him in a 55 lol, they dont get big and your damsels would probably kill it.. sorry to say. you could do clowns, id go maroon or one of your more aggressive clowns with the 2 YT's already in the tank. a dwarf lion would work fine and he probably wont eat your damsels depending on size..he probably cant catch them lol dwarf lions will eat small fish but are more prone to shrimp so a nice sized damsel to a well fed dwarf lion probably wont become a meal.fire fish are good they tend to stay open water more but are known jumpers if spooked or harassed. a dwarf angel would be good but theyll nip corals and clams.. so if you plan of growing any be wary of the type of dwarf angel.. coral beauties are probably the most reef safe but they still do what angels do. and thats nip stuff just not as much. I have clams so i wouldnt dare put an angel in the tank. you culd add a larger goby like a pink bar, less likely to be harassed and being that they live at the bottom of your tank he should be fine. then you have wrasses... I would look for a fish that occupies a different part of the reef then you already have, you have the yellow tank- open water, very active free swimming, and your damsels-semi open water.. more stationary. what to get next? 690297
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

what to get next? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what to get next?   what to get next? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

what to get next?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
UsaFishBox :: :: SaltWater Aquaria :: Saltwater Fish-
Jump to: