UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

want to try saltwater and got ?

Go down 
+7
alkomist
bkozolup
08can-am
KMX
popebosephus
cwhip
plantedtankdude
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

Favorite Fish: : all of them along with mermaids and me I'm a Pisces.

want to try saltwater and got ? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: want to try saltwater and got ?   want to try saltwater and got ? - Page 4 Icon_minitime1/22/2011, 4:45 am

First topic message reminder :

got some questions... trying to work with a budget.. would a canister filter work for a saltwater tank, and if so what size would I need on a 25g (24x12x20) I need to turn the tank over 8-12 times right?

or would a sump be better?

protein skimmer would a hob one work, or should I get one that sits in the sump?

do I need a refugium?

lighting, what type of lighting would I need? would 2 t5 ho bulbs work or should I do 4 bulbs. I plan for some soft corals... or maybe just an anemone.

live sand - is just live sand right is any brand better then the other, and how many pounds do I need?

live rock, how many pounds do I need and what type is the best. what should I get? tonya,fiji,vanuatu,etc.

salt/water will more or likely just buy local and make a couple of trips.

power head, will more or likely get a hydor k-nano, or should I get a k 1 ?

fish --- I like the pajami cardinals, banggai cardinals, and royal dotty back. are this fish reef safe, is my tank big enough?
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
juice28
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2

PostSubject: Re: want to try saltwater and got ?   want to try saltwater and got ? - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/1/2011, 10:06 am

skimmers...break in so to speak. im assuming u cleaned it so it has to adjust to your tank, may take a few days, or longer.
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

PostSubject: Re: want to try saltwater and got ?   want to try saltwater and got ? - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/1/2011, 1:05 pm

it's working now,the knob on the intake was in the closed postition so it wasn't ltting water in, and i forgot to fill all 3 chambers up and only filled the middle... it's all looking good now.
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

Favorite Fish: : Love my black ocellaris!

PostSubject: Re: want to try saltwater and got ?   want to try saltwater and got ? - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/1/2011, 1:20 pm

Glad to hear you figured it out! :Thumbsup:
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

PostSubject: Re: want to try saltwater and got ?   want to try saltwater and got ? - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/1/2011, 2:37 pm

it will work even better when you get a good slime coat.
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

PostSubject: Re: want to try saltwater and got ?   want to try saltwater and got ? - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/1/2011, 9:56 pm

now I just got to set here and wait 2-4 more weeks then I can add corals and fish right. oh and the general saltwater rule is 1 inch of fish for every 5 gallons right.
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

PostSubject: Re: want to try saltwater and got ?   want to try saltwater and got ? - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/2/2011, 1:53 am

want to try saltwater and got ? - Page 4 Picture635want to try saltwater and got ? - Page 4 Picture636pwant to try saltwater and got ? - Page 4 Picture637gwant to try saltwater and got ? - Page 4 Picture642
want to try saltwater and got ? - Page 4 Picture639uwant to try saltwater and got ? - Page 4 Picture644vwant to try saltwater and got ? - Page 4 Picture645e
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

PostSubject: Re: want to try saltwater and got ?   want to try saltwater and got ? - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/2/2011, 8:43 am

That is a very cool setup. I don't follow a fast & hard 1" per 5 gallon rule. I more evaluate the fish and the environment it will be in. Simply because gallons are dispersed in so many different ways. Some fish need distance to swim but if you tank is deep instead of long then the gallons per inches rule doesn't work.
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

PostSubject: Re: want to try saltwater and got ?   want to try saltwater and got ? - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/2/2011, 3:52 pm

they are both 25 gallons. 24 long x 13 wide x 20 tall.

the saltwater has two hydor nanos 425gph for water movement, plus the water movement from the hob filter and hob skimmer... what fish would work good in this set up with some corals?
Back to top Go down
juice28
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
juice28

Favorite Fish: : black false percula, spotted mandarin

PostSubject: Re: want to try saltwater and got ?   want to try saltwater and got ? - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/2/2011, 4:49 pm

anything reef safe that stay under 6-8 inches, goby's, blennies, dottybacks, clowns, dwarf lions(no shrimp with lions though), wrasses, damsels(not including clown fish), chromis(which are in the damsel family) dwarf angels (with caution, they can be nippy with polyps and clams) mandarins(needs a well established reef first though) hawkfish are pretty cool too.

I personally like inverts, like basket stars,feather stars, sea bunnies and pistol shrimp so my fish are stocked to support these smaller, peaceful animals without using them for food, except my fu man chu lion i had, ha was always after my pistol shrimp but the goby never let him get close. if you want to grow corals, pick your typs, LPS/softie or SPS.. and go from there, not all fish are coral compatible, angels tend to do better in SPS tanks then LPS tanks because they tend to pick at LPS polyps, zoas and clams. engineer goby's are cool but they will rearrange the sand bad constantly so placing prize coral frags on the sand mite not be a god idea. I wanted LPS's mainly brains and a few softies, grabbed a couple false perc's so i had something in the tank to watch lol, plus clows are kinda universal SW fish, they can go in almost every type of set up. (depending on species) and i got my corals etc(clams, cleaners etc) and then stocked my fish around that.
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

PostSubject: Re: want to try saltwater and got ?   want to try saltwater and got ? - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/2/2011, 6:02 pm

cool how many fish could I put in this 25g? should I get my corals then fish, or should I get my fish then corals?
Back to top Go down
juice28
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
juice28

PostSubject: Re: want to try saltwater and got ?   want to try saltwater and got ? - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/3/2011, 12:04 am

nano's are mainly specific tanks...mantis shrimp, or clown pair maybe with small goby pistol shrimp pair, maybe various inverts instead..maaany possibilities. As far as the number of fish specifically depends on the fish honestly, i have 4 in my 55. 1 maroon clown female, pink bar goby, lawnmower blenny and a spotted mandarin. i have room for a couple more(had 6 total male clown and a fu man chu lion but lost them in an emergency move) but none will get bigger then about 6-8 inches full grown plus the occupy different places, the goby lives under everything lol he and the pistil shrimp, the clown stays mainly in her section, nothing messes with the mandarin, he just pops in and out, so they coexist fairly easy. 25 g, id say no more then 4 IF they stay small under 6 inches, once again depending on species
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

PostSubject: Re: want to try saltwater and got ?   want to try saltwater and got ? - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/3/2011, 7:08 am

In my 29 gallon the balance I have created is a pair of clowns and a firefish. Sure I could add something else but the balance we have right now is so nice that I don't want to throw it off. I did have a lawnmower blenny and a 'royal gramma' in there also but they both died since the gramma seemed sick after I got it home. He also took out my firefish that I had and when asked which one I wanted back I got another firefish instead of the gramma. My firefish is a goby and it lives in a cave under a LR. When I only had one clown it pestered him so much that he rarely came out but now that the clown has a mate they leave the firefish alone and I get to see him a lot more.

It really is all up to what you want but you just have to make sure that everything will live together happily and also not be too much load for your filtration to deal with or you will end up with algae / water condition problems to deal with.
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

PostSubject: Re: want to try saltwater and got ?   want to try saltwater and got ? - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/5/2011, 8:33 pm

well I have a 30+ mystery coral, and a bangitti? cardinal.... I want to sell them I would really like to see an anonomee house a pair of clowns. where could I find a good price on a pair of clowns and anomenee? how much would I get for my coral and cardinal?

okay, this is getting to me. I have my eyes on sailfin tang, yellow tang,
etc, I even saw a blue ribbon eel that I really really liked. if I have a 55g( was my planted tank, now empty how hard would it be to up grade.
could I keep my hob skimmer? and do a sump, and up grade my lighting? what else will I need more rock and more sand?

Last edited by plantedtankdude on 2/5/2011, 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

PostSubject: Re: want to try saltwater and got ?   want to try saltwater and got ? - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/5/2011, 9:07 pm

I would not put an anemone in your tank until it is at least six months old.

If you could show pics of your mystery coral it would help to determine it's worth.
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

PostSubject: Re: want to try saltwater and got ?   want to try saltwater and got ? - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/5/2011, 9:35 pm

okay I will post a photo, what if I up graded to a 55g.. would that give me a big enough tank for a blue ribbon eel(can't have corals right), or a sailfin or yellow tang(okay with corals right, or am I reading stuff wrong?) . I have a 55g that's empty just need to be cleaned up.(was freshwater) how do i get it ready for saltwater?

Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

PostSubject: Re: want to try saltwater and got ?   want to try saltwater and got ? - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/6/2011, 1:44 am

[img][/img]

want to try saltwater and got ? - Page 4 Picture645z
want to try saltwater and got ? - Page 4 Picture646t
want to try saltwater and got ? - Page 4 Picture647b
want to try saltwater and got ? - Page 4 Picture648l
want to try saltwater and got ? - Page 4 Picture649w
want to try saltwater and got ? - Page 4 Picture650
want to try saltwater and got ? - Page 4 Picture651
want to try saltwater and got ? - Page 4 Picture652
want to try saltwater and got ? - Page 4 Picture653b
want to try saltwater and got ? - Page 4 Picture654
want to try saltwater and got ? - Page 4 Picture655
want to try saltwater and got ? - Page 4 Picture656p
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

PostSubject: Re: want to try saltwater and got ?   want to try saltwater and got ? - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/6/2011, 5:00 am

plantedtankdude wrote:
okay I will post a photo, what if I up graded to a 55g.. would that give me a big enough tank for a blue ribbon eel(can't have corals right), or a sailfin or yellow tang(okay with corals right, or am I reading stuff wrong?) . I have a 55g that's empty just need to be cleaned up.(was freshwater) how do i get it ready for saltwater?

Tangs are reef safe but a 55 gallon is too small. 60 gallon minimum size tank for the eel
and they require expert care reef safe with caution usually means not. just the other day a friends clown fish was eaten by his snowflake eel. the coral looks like ordinary zoa's probably worth 10 bucks.
did you ever use copper in the 55?
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

PostSubject: Re: want to try saltwater and got ?   want to try saltwater and got ? - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/6/2011, 9:03 am

I used the 55g as a planted tank, and dose seachem flourish line in it. just read the bottle of seachem flourish and it has copper sulfate as an ingredient. RATS.

If my coral is only worth $10.00 then I got ripped of bad. :( I will not go to LFS for corals. what about a bangaii cardinal how much are they worth?

also how much is a pair of mated clowns worth? I found a pair for a good price or what I think is a good, they would be okay alone in my 25g right? just let my tank go as it is with top offs and water changes. then in a few months get an anemone.

would a pink tip or pink bubble work?
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

PostSubject: Re: want to try saltwater and got ?   want to try saltwater and got ? - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/9/2011, 2:36 am

okay, I really need to know if a 55g would be okay for a yellow tang? I'm thinking of upgrading to a 55g, and I already have the tank... I went out today and got a mix of figi and lace rock fully cured was in a guy tank and it sprung a leak. so I esp that I have 75-90 pounds of live rock total.. all I need to do is get more sand. will dry sand work, or wet sand be better? and I can make my own salt, or would water from some one doing a water change work? just trying to save some money....
Back to top Go down
bkozolup
Sergeant
Sergeant
bkozolup

Favorite Fish: : Chrysurus angel fish

PostSubject: Re: want to try saltwater and got ?   want to try saltwater and got ? - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/9/2011, 6:36 am

better to make your own salt and yes a 55g would work and i believe no more than a inch and a half sandbed. Deep Sand Beds are old school imo, but again in my opinon and i keep very hard fish and i have a natural set up all rock skimmer and 1 filter sck
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: want to try saltwater and got ?   want to try saltwater and got ? - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/9/2011, 7:27 am

its irresponsible to put a Tang that will grow to 8 inches in a 55 gallon tank period.
Back to top Go down
juice28
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
juice28

PostSubject: Re: want to try saltwater and got ?   want to try saltwater and got ? - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/9/2011, 10:01 am

i woldnt put a tang period in a 55, not even a chevron. as far as water, if your just setting it up, u already have your rock, id get 40 lbs of live sand but you can do like 10 lbs live sand and 25-30 dry, itll turn live, i prefer the live sand cuz it already got bacteria and lil bugs n stuff in it. Since you are setting it up mix your water, its much cheaper. im lazy so i mixed mine at first cycled my tank and now i just buy my water pre mixed. i have about a 1.5-2 inch sand bed but i also have a couple burrowing animals like my pistol shrimp who does major sand sifting/remodeling so it seems to work out. id say FIRST, get an idea of what you want to keep. that will help you create the desired set up. i spent alot of time just looking at stuff on websites like vividaquariums.com and aquacon.com. NOT to buy, but to get ideas of stuff that caught my attention. I got a general idea of the type of stuff i wanted and then set my tank up accordingly. Not all reef animals are compatible even though they're are all "reef safe" or considered non aggressive corals.
Back to top Go down
juice28
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
juice28

PostSubject: Re: want to try saltwater and got ?   want to try saltwater and got ? - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/9/2011, 10:23 am

plantedtankdude wrote:
I used the 55g as a planted tank, and dose seachem flourish line in it. just read the bottle of seachem flourish and it has copper sulfate as an ingredient. RATS.

If my coral is only worth $10.00 then I got ripped of bad. :( I will not go to LFS for corals. what about a bangaii cardinal how much are they worth?

also how much is a pair of mated clowns worth? I found a pair for a good price or what I think is a good, they would be okay alone in my 25g right? just let my tank go as it is with top offs and water changes. then in a few months get an anemone.

would a pink tip or pink bubble work?

well we cant see your zoas, there are some really pretty expensive zoas but you have to be soo close to see the colors and you pic just isnt good enough for that type of i.d. marine livestock pricing varies greatly. as far as huw much is it worth, its worth how much u spent on it lol. Correct me if im wrong fellow reefers but id say rare vs common instead of....how much a coral or fish is worth. As far as the clowns, once again if u want them and you can afford them and it seems ok, price wise, buy um. yes a pair would work, probably one of the smaller clowns but yea they should be ok assuming you tank has cycled and is ready for livestock. anemones require a good bit of care and should not be introduced untill after 6 mths i say at least a year personally cuz you will make a lot of mistakes early on and anemones can crash a tank if it dies. a pink tip as in condi? no not really, not known to be a hosting anemone but some people get lucky depending on the type of clown.
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

PostSubject: Re: want to try saltwater and got ?   want to try saltwater and got ? - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/9/2011, 12:55 pm

um okay, rats. then what could go in a 55g? how closely do peach damsels school? and how big do they get?
Back to top Go down
juice28
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
juice28

PostSubject: Re: want to try saltwater and got ?   want to try saltwater and got ? - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/9/2011, 1:18 pm

i have a 55 and i have a maroon clown, lawnmower blenny, spotted mandarin and a pink bar goby and i could probably get away with 1 more fish that will stay 6' or under maybe 2 depending on fish but i have my tank set up for coral with a few fish to accent the tank. i was thinking about getting my maroon a lil boyfriend the male died but ehh...shes been in the tank for a while by herself.. i had a fu man chu lion (not really a beginner fish0 who was doing stupidly well, but i lost him in a crash. you can do dwarf lions, they like groups, if you plan on getting other fish id stay away from damsels period they tend to be really mean little fish, very pretty, but they have attitude like you wouldn't believe. if you want a small schooling type fish get a few chromis, blue or green, they are the most peaceful damsel. skunk clowns can kept in groups and very peaceful and clowns are in the damsel family also. honestly a 55 really isnt big enough for a school of anything. this is my 55 which is stil bouncing back from a heck of a time.

https://usafishbox.forumotion.com/t6528-im-back
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

PostSubject: Re: want to try saltwater and got ?   want to try saltwater and got ? - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/9/2011, 6:15 pm

rats, well then did I just buy 30 pounds of live rock for nothing... I was going to upgrade to a 55g but don't know what I can put in there.... so only a few chromis could go in a 55g.......

so in my 25g I have
1 blue damsel
1 white and black strip damsel
1- domino damsel
1 tomato clown
1- malanarus wrasse
1- bangaii cardinal

would a small yellow tang be okay in a 55g and I could just sell him/her when it get's to big? what does a skunk clown look like.... how big does a sailfin get?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: want to try saltwater and got ?   want to try saltwater and got ? - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

want to try saltwater and got ?
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next