UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Why is LED light so much $$$$$????

Go down 
+4
alkomist
cwhip
istrober
KMX
8 posters
AuthorMessage
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

Why is LED light so much $$$$$???? Empty
PostSubject: Why is LED light so much $$$$$????   Why is LED light so much $$$$$???? Icon_minitime1/6/2011, 9:19 am

Why is LED light so much $$$$$???? Led10

There's quite a lot of LED lighting coming onto the market, but it's not cheap. Some of the advantages of switching to LEDS.

This is a relatively new technology and, like all new products, is expensive when first launched. In addition, the LEDs used are not only very bright but have to be a precise spectrum to become suitable for aquarium use. In time, as LED lighting becomes more commonplace, costs are likely to fall.

Don’t be put off by the high initial cost. Over the course of their life, which is approximately 50,000 hours, LEDs will cost you far less than any other type of lighting.

There is a huge reduction in energy cost as they convert power into light far more efficiently, most using around half the electricity of a fluorescent.

Making quick calculations, it is easy to see that LEDs could slash lighting costs. In addition, unlike other types of lighting, the lamps don’t need replacing annually — saving hundreds more over the unit’s lifetime.

Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

PostSubject: Re: Why is LED light so much $$$$$????   Why is LED light so much $$$$$???? Icon_minitime1/6/2011, 9:22 am

that will be a good plan for this year.. Why is LED light so much $$$$$???? 393849
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

PostSubject: Re: Why is LED light so much $$$$$????   Why is LED light so much $$$$$???? Icon_minitime1/6/2011, 9:29 am

because they are freaking fantastic! if you buy make sure they are atleast 1.5 watts ea. cree Led's.
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

Favorite Fish: :

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: Why is LED light so much $$$$$????   Why is LED light so much $$$$$???? Icon_minitime1/6/2011, 9:44 am

1.5's arent that great! from what i hear its 3 watt crees or nothin lol
led builds are all over other forums like nanoreef!
they are pricey but worth it in the very long run!
they dont produce heat last bout 5 years and give an awsome shimmer effect!
i myself have a "Evil66 PAR38" over my pico tank and it looks awsome! no heat awsome crisp 12k light and simple. its a simple screw in light bulb! and it has 5 LEDs
3 cool white and 2 royal blue:)

although i do prefer the metal halides for better shimmer and better coral growth.
only probs with MH's is the heat and bulb changing every so often
Back to top Go down
kinsol
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
kinsol

PostSubject: Re: Why is LED light so much $$$$$????   Why is LED light so much $$$$$???? Icon_minitime1/6/2011, 10:13 am

I work for a sign company and allot of LED is used due to the fact that they last longer and are energy efficient. I've even thought of using some to light up a few tanks but haven't tried it yet.
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

PostSubject: Re: Why is LED light so much $$$$$????   Why is LED light so much $$$$$???? Icon_minitime1/6/2011, 10:33 am

I have the Reef Brites on both tanks to supplement the T5's and Mh there amazing even when I'm running the MH the colors still pop. the Reef Brite strips are not that expensive IMO..
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

Favorite Fish: : discus

PostSubject: Re: Why is LED light so much $$$$$????   Why is LED light so much $$$$$???? Icon_minitime1/6/2011, 12:26 pm

leds are old news in the real world, but its new in the aquarium trade, as in lighting tanks and growing plants or corals. all the new stuff in high price, im guess for demand. from what i read they grow squat for the price.
Back to top Go down
chevy350
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
chevy350

PostSubject: Re: Why is LED light so much $$$$$????   Why is LED light so much $$$$$???? Icon_minitime1/6/2011, 12:27 pm

i will be selling led's soon. i have just got a wholesaler on these lights. i can give yall great deals. info will be on here soon.
Back to top Go down
dcninja757
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

Favorite Fish: : Fish

PostSubject: Re: Why is LED light so much $$$$$????   Why is LED light so much $$$$$???? Icon_minitime1/6/2011, 12:29 pm

I think it's a good idea but it's not quite there yet in terms of growing things in an aquarium, you need a lot of LED lights to make up for a normal light.
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: Why is LED light so much $$$$$????   Why is LED light so much $$$$$???? Icon_minitime1/6/2011, 12:34 pm

I have reefer friends that use only Leds on there reef tanks and they grow alot more than squat. I've only had mine a couple of months but I'm not worried about growth I wanted more color.. they are amazing 219.00 ea is what I paid I dont think thats too expensive considering the price of a good quality T5/Mh fixture.
I must say though I was skeptical at first but when I got them and put them on my tanks I was blown away! you couldn't pry them outa my cold dead hands now....
Why is LED light so much $$$$$???? 004-29
LED with MH
Why is LED light so much $$$$$???? 010-21
LED only
Why is LED light so much $$$$$???? 012-22
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: Why is LED light so much $$$$$????   Why is LED light so much $$$$$???? Icon_minitime1/6/2011, 3:35 pm

even the DIY LED builds are expensive! but have awsome results look on nano-reef forums! theyre all over the place
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: Why is LED light so much $$$$$????   Why is LED light so much $$$$$???? Icon_minitime1/6/2011, 3:42 pm

you can get 36 inch 18x3 watt LED strip of a little over 200 bucks in the saltwater hobby thats not that bad..
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

Favorite Fish: : discus

PostSubject: Re: Why is LED light so much $$$$$????   Why is LED light so much $$$$$???? Icon_minitime1/6/2011, 3:57 pm

wow. looks very good. i tried them on my planted tank oince as a favor from a lfs owner. i was not happy with results. thjis was 2 years ago though. the par results were not even close to what they advertised.

but i see they have gone a long way.

please post the forum where all the reefers are doing leds. i really need to see this for my self.
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: Why is LED light so much $$$$$????   Why is LED light so much $$$$$???? Icon_minitime1/6/2011, 4:24 pm

http://www.nano-reef.com/

their are literaly post popping up about Leds every minute!
just search LED!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why is LED light so much $$$$$????   Why is LED light so much $$$$$???? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why is LED light so much $$$$$????
Page 1 of 1